Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sam's 5 million promotion bonus

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:44 pm

Sorry to start a new topic on this but I thought this important enough to warrant a thread by itself.

People are now saying that Sam has moved the goalposts and its his fault that talks are breaking down because of this promotion bonus. I am sure I read that there was always a promotion bonus so this is nothing new.

Can anyone actually shed some light on this?

Was the 5 million promotion bonus always there?

Re: Sam's 5 million promotion bonus

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:51 pm

Snaag wrote:Sorry to start a new topic on this but I thought this important enough to warrant a thread by itself.

People are now saying that Sam has moved the goalposts and its his fault that talks are breaking down because of this promotion bonus. I am sure I read that there was always a promotion bonus so this is nothing new.

Apparently it was but wasnt told to us untill recently. It was apart of one of the offers by Tan which was £8 million now + £5 million on promotion

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:53 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:
Snaag wrote:Sorry to start a new topic on this but I thought this important enough to warrant a thread by itself.

Apparently it was but wasnt told to us untill recently. It was apart of one of the offers by Tan which was £8 million now + £5 million on promotion

Why not pay £10m now and £5m after promotion? What big deal does it make? Its clear, Tan is putting personal pride before our club which is an absolute disgrace. If Sam is owed the money it should be paid.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:53 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:

So basically, if we dont get promoted Sam would only get £8mill instead of the £10mil he wants?

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:56 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:

So basically, if we dont get promoted Sam would only get £8mill instead of the £10mil he wants?

Yeah apparently. Im not sure whether the promotion bonus was always there or not

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:57 pm

Considering Sam invested well over £20mil into CCFC allegedly he's not taking a huge amount out then .... besides if City dont play in red then Tan wont invest :lol:

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:37 pm

Martyn1963 wrote:Considering Sam invested well over £20mil into CCFC allegedly he's not taking a huge amount out then .... besides if City dont play in red then Tan wont invest :lol:

Allegedly being the main word there mart :D

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:49 pm

I remember a promotion "bonus" as part of the original "clean break" in December 2006 to SH, along with the naming rights to the CCS & the title of life president [or something like that], & one or two other things as well.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:50 pm

Martyn1963 wrote:Considering Sam invested well over £20mil into CCFC allegedly he's not taking a huge amount out then .... besides if City dont play in red then Tan wont invest :lol:

I dunno if its right but someone quoted the other day that the debt to Sam was actually 15m and the rest of the debt which goes over 30m is interest?

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:54 pm

The 5 million pound promotion bonus was always part of the negotiations, it has been in all the loan note deals whether people say there are two or three different loan notes, as are the stadium naming rights for nine million pounds.

There have been loads of negotiations offers counter offers too-ing and fro-ing, some times the amounts have been agreed in principle and then the method of payment has become a stumbling block.

I would like to think the deal will get done soon because it suits neither party if it gets messy, both sides can put us in court but both sides will take a big hit if they do, this is all to do with how much the club actually as in assets, and who gets first dibs on it, some loans etc are secured some are not, but either way it would be a real mess.

Whilst Sam/Langston will accept a big reduction in the total amount owed to them and again this total amount is disputed by some[, at it's least it will be 24 mill and its highest with the accrued interest is around 35 mill.

So the deal to accept fifteen million if acceptable to Langston, it will save the club or VT, which ever way you look at it a good chunk as the naming rights of nine milll will be written off. VT can't turn the loan into equity until the deal is done with Sam/Langston so any money invested until then has to be in the form of more loans, but in truth, the debt and the loan is to himself, because without success he loses his investment, there aren't enough assets now to repay the debtors, let alone pay back anymore debt that accrues.

What as been misleading is the duff info that was being spread that Sam/Langston would settle for ten million, this was never the case and never true and has made it look like Sam has moved the goal posts, where in reality they have always been there.

Personally I think the amount that is being haggled over whilst a fortune to me and you, in reality it is a small percentage of the total amount and it's more a case of the pride of two parties involved and that whilst being understandable, it is also very frustrating for the club and the fans.

I hope VT and Sam can agree as business men but gentlemen, shake hands and sit together and watch us get to the Premiership and the top of the pile, if that happens, no matter what your view of either is, they would have both played their part in getting us there, and I hope that all bygones can be forgiven and forgotten.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:58 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Personally I think the amount that is being haggled over whilst a fortune to me and you, in reality it is a small percentage of the total amount and it's more a case of the pride of two parties involved and that whilst being understandable, it is also very frustrating for the club and the fans.

Spot on. This is what is annoying me the most. Putting personal pride before the fans when the amount to both parties is relatively miniscule. :roll:

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks Gwyn, very good post, and very balanced. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:00 pm

RedBluebird wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:Personally I think the amount that is being haggled over whilst a fortune to me and you, in reality it is a small percentage of the total amount and it's more a case of the pride of two parties involved and that whilst being understandable, it is also very frustrating for the club and the fans.

Spot on. This is what is annoying me the most. Putting personal pride before the fans when the amount to both parties is relatively miniscule. :roll:

I guess neither Tan or Sam want to show weakness, both eccentric both with egos, both playing a game to try and get the best deal. Then its us fans in the middle, hoping and waiting.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:09 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
RedBluebird wrote:

I guess neither Tan or Sam want to show weakness, both eccentric both with egos, both playing a game to try and get the best deal. Then its us fans in the middle, hoping and waiting.

Their both showing weakness IMO. Weakness in their ability to conclude a deal professionally, weakness in their ability to let their stubborn like manner subside for a moment. If anything, whoever comes across as 'winning' the deal in their eyes will look likes losers to every outsider regardless.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:10 pm

It's been there since 2006 and never altered always been there, a 100% fact.

Wales online certainly made a hash of what is really going on.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:11 pm

RedBluebird wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:

Why not pay £10m now and £5m after promotion? What big deal does it make? Its clear, Tan is putting personal pride before our club which is an absolute disgrace. If Sam is owed the money it should be paid.

There you almost have Roathy.Personaly Tan doesn't owe Hamman a penny.What were all hoping for is that Tan will pay the clubs debt to Hamman.The question you must ask yourself is if hamman forced the club into liquidation by taking the club to court how much would he get?Nothing like 10m.And yes in that case Tan would lose too.I love it the way people just say"whats 5 mill to him".

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:24 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

They always seem to make a mess of everything :lol:

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:28 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

And quite a few others who got their wires crossed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

BigGwynram wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

At least u know what the truth is Gwyn regarding the Sam/Vt deal at this very moment.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:57 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

At least u know what the truth is Gwyn regarding the Sam/Vt deal at this very moment.

I really don't,and I also believe that there's nothing that any fan can do about it anyway, we are all pawns in a worrying game of chess, this is about business, hard cash and two alpha males marking their patch, what will be will be, regardless of what we as fans want or think we can influence.

To me this is like a divorce, and I know a bit about those, the only ones that make money are the solicitors, one party will dig their heels in, the other will stubborn it out, neither party will talk to each other and only through a solicitor, sometimes common sense goes out the window, and neither party will want to be seen to give in, but somewhere along the way, it gets done.

Let's be honest mate, unless you have spoken to VT and I know I haven't. We are all second guessing, I can't pretend to know what's going through is mind, don't know if he got a plan A or a plan B, all I know is our fate lays in his hands and we got a better chance of succeeding with him on board rather than off side and out to harm us.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:18 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Wales online certainly made a hash of what is really going on.

Did they misquote you in this piece? The reporters at the Echo are useless.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -31299895/

“Originally, Vincent Tan offered £10m up front. That is the one Langston will accept. Cardiff City and Tan have until the end of July to give Langston their original offer"

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:27 pm

VT has said debt to equity will not happen until Langstone sorted.

Way i see it VT does not owe Sam a penny, Cardiff City do. If Sam pursues CCFC he will end up with a fraction of whats on offer. VT is not tied by loan notes etc as again thats between club and Sam.

Therefore VT can make an offer to pay off Sam at what rate he fancies. If Sam doesn't accept the loan notes apply and the earlier scenario of a pittance rears its head.

Therefore Sam needs VT and we need VT so show the man some bloody respect.

If we are 'his family' then take whats on offer and leave us move on.