Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Steve McPhail

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:21 pm

You have to feel sorry for him.
Been at Cardiff for 6 years and has had such bad luck.
To be diagnosed with cancer, Sjögren's syndrome and Raynaud's phenomenon must be heartbreaking for him.
And then on his comeback against FGR he can only last 5 minutes before being injured and having to come off.
I know he's not everyone's favourite but you have to feel for him.
And now that Malky's been signing younger players such as Conway, Cowie, Mutch and Kim, it seems less and less likely that he's going to break back into the team.
It wouldn't surprise me if he were to retire this season, but I'd love it if he were to have one last season and to make it all the way through it - injury free. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Steve McPhail

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:33 pm

Anyone know why he went off against FGR?

Showed last season why he can be such an asset to the team and if we can get 15 games or so out of him then brilliant.
He will know when it's time to retire but a brilliant servant to the club and a very underrated player in his time here.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:45 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Showed last season why he can be such an asset to the team and if we can get 15 games or so out of him then brilliant. He will know when it's time to retire but a brilliant servant to the club and a very underrated player in his time here.

This.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:30 am

2blue2handle wrote:Anyone know why he went off against FGR?

Showed last season why he can be such an asset to the team and if we can get 15 games or so out of him then brilliant.
He will know when it's time to retire but a brilliant servant to the club and a very underrated player in his time here.

When he came off holding his hamstring, didn't seem like he tore it, but more of tweak.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:19 am

I like McPhail as he is someone who can hold on to the ball, but can Malky now afford to risk him in the matchday squad as with his recent injury record, it means we are virtually a man down before we start if we include him.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:33 am

Bluebird For Life wrote:I like McPhail as he is someone who can hold on to the ball, but can Malky now afford to risk him in the matchday squad as with his recent injury record, it means we are virtually a man down before we start if we include him.

Nah,don't think this is a big deal really.Remember there were a couple of others who weren't avaliable through injury's and I just think Macca's tweak was something and nothing.The type of injury picked up by many at this stage.I'm sure at the end of the season he will have played his part.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:53 am

Got to grudgingly give the guy a lot of credit, he's been through a hell of a lot over the past few years and the fact that he hasn't given up deserves a lot of admiration. There are times when being a fan of a rival team you just have to give credit where it is due, McPhail deserves a bit of luck for once.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:06 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:
Bluebird For Life wrote:I like McPhail as he is someone who can hold on to the ball, but can Malky now afford to risk him in the matchday squad as with his recent injury record, it means we are virtually a man down before we start if we include him.

Nah,don't think this is a big deal really.Remember there were a couple of others who weren't avaliable through injury's and I just think Macca's tweak was something and nothing.The type of injury picked up by many at this stage.I'm sure at the end of the season he will have played his part.

I agree that this injury may not in itself be a big deal, but the bigger picture imo is that he is likely to pick up an injury every time he plays and that he can't last the ninety minutes anymore. Its only my opinion and as I said, I think he does offer us something, but can we risk his place in the match day squad at the expense of someone less injury prone was the point I was trying to make.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:13 am

Frantic wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Anyone know why he went off against FGR?

When he came off holding his hamstring, didn't seem like he tore it, but more of tweak.

yes he was holding his left hamstring, funny enough he looked by far the best player on the pitch for the short period of time he was on the pitch. Super guy.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:04 pm

Why is he number 37?

When a few years back he was 10?

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:05 pm

LutonBluebird wrote:Why is he number 37?

I heard it is because 3+7 = 10 :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:14 pm

droopy wrote:

Because Robert Earnshaw asked for the number 10 shirt and Steve McPhail agreed to give the number up and he chose 37 because it was his first ever squad number. If you check he was number 37 for his first ever club, Leeds Utd. :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:11 pm

BluebirdForever wrote:
droopy wrote:

Because Robert Earnshaw asked for the number 10 shirt and Steve McPhail agreed to give the number up and he chose 37 because it was his first ever squad number. If you check he was number 37 for his first ever club, Leeds Utd. :ayatollah:

Font of all CCFC knowledge lol :ayatollah:
Cheers for that :ayatollah: