Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Is our squad

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:12 pm

Is our squad at this moment in time good enough/big enough to sustain a top 2 position all season, rem Malky does not do much in the January transfer markets(his words), honest opinions/debate please ?

Re: Is our squad

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Need 4 signings if I'm honest a striker, a right back,a centre back,a winger, :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Is our squad at this moment in time good enough/big enough to sustain a top 2 position all season, rem Malky does not do much in the January transfer markets(his words), honest opinions/debate please ?

will have to wait until start season as surely more players will come?? i hope!!!
but at moment no where near top 2 :(

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:19 pm

Need a striker, a utility player who can play along all of defence like O'Shea did and we need a left winger.

3 signings and we have the depth i believe :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:20 pm

SamCCFC1927 wrote:Need 4 signings if I'm honest a striker, a right back,a centre back,a winger, :ayatollah:

Spot on - midfield looks our strongest dept with aforementioned wideman to come but we lack striking options & the hoof brothers @ CB nowhere near clever enough ! :shock:

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:21 pm

Not strong enough for top 6 let alone top 2

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:27 pm

Absolutely not. Struggle for top 6

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:27 pm

If we bring in atleast 3 more quality players then we are definitely in with a shout for automatic promotion.

At the moment I'd say we'd finish 6th at best.
Last edited by JonCCFC on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Not yet but we've kept most of our players from last season and we got to the play offs so with current squad top 6

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:30 pm

Average squad age not including Gerrard or Keinan is 22.

That shows you there isn't a great deal of experience in the team.

Two of our 4 signings havent played at this level.

We leaked goals last season and haven't signed a single defender this season.

If we had a new full back and CB and a winger and a striker we'd be ok. But until then, no Play-offs at best.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:32 pm

Easy answer, NO. Not being negative on this subject, but realist. As things stand, nothing up front & dodgy defence.

MM comments yesterday are not exactly encouraging either.

Top two??? Then lets see a few "statements of intent"!!!!!!

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:40 pm

We are competing with this.... And this is without wolves, Blackburn, forest et al.

Leicester City

Kasper Schmeichel

Paul Konchesky
Sean St Ledger
Richie De Laet
Lee Peltier

Paul Gallagher
Andy King
Lloyd Dyer
Neil Danns

Jermain Beckford
David Nugent

Bolton Wanderers

Ádám Bogdán

Sam Ricketts
David Wheater
Matt Mills
Tim Ream

Chris Eagles
Mark Davis
Martin Petrov
Keith Andrews/Chong Yung Lee

David N'Gog
Kevin Davies

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:45 pm

I'd like to see 3 out and 3-4 in

Out
Gerrard, Keinan, Earnie

In
Fullback, CB, winger, striker

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Last season everyone said we were mid-table at best.

Lets just see as you never know.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Nope not at all ready or big enough for a top 6 finish this season with the teams in the league now let alone top two.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:55 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Is our squad at this moment in time good enough/big enough to sustain a top 2 position all season, rem Malky does not do much in the January transfer markets(his words), honest opinions/debate please ?

No where near good enough.

I'd want at least a first choice centre half - no guessing why!!!!! :old:

Target Man

Striker

Bellamy - captain!

and see how we go from there.

Unfortunately I don't believe it will happen, we may get two.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:58 pm

I think we need 5 more.

Full back and centre back.....as we are very threadbare at the back (assuming DK and AG leave)

Winger.....hopefully Bellamy

2 more strikers.....hopefully Maynard and a big target man (because at some stage we will need plan B) :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Providing we don't lose Whitts, we'll have a much better squad this year than last year come September 1st.

To answer your question Annis - I think the current squad would finish around 11th.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:08 pm

RoathMagic wrote:We are competing with this.... And this is without wolves, Blackburn, forest et al.

Leicester City

Kasper Schmeichel

Paul Konchesky
Sean St Ledger
Richie De Laet
Lee Peltier

Paul Gallagher
Andy King
Lloyd Dyer
Neil Danns

Jermain Beckford
David Nugent

Bolton Wanderers

Ádám Bogdán

Sam Ricketts
David Wheater
Matt Mills
Tim Ream

Chris Eagles
Mark Davis
Martin Petrov

David N'Gog
Kevin Davies

Nothing about that Leicester side scares me! 80 % are overrated has beens! Bolton have probably the strongest side and it confirms to me that you know nothing about football by putting Forest in the mix they're squad is awful! We finished 6th last year and the squad will be stronger by the end of the transfer window I say we're going to be minimum top 6. A quality striker, CB39 and defensive cover and we'll be pushing the top 2.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:15 pm

Agree, I wouldn't swap out team for Leicester.

IMO we are already stronger than last season.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:15 pm

gknighty89 wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:We are competing with this.... And this is without wolves, Blackburn, forest et al.

Leicester City

Kasper Schmeichel

Paul Konchesky
Sean St Ledger
Richie De Laet
Lee Peltier

Paul Gallagher
Andy King
Lloyd Dyer
Neil Danns

Jermain Beckford
David Nugent

Bolton Wanderers

Ádám Bogdán

Sam Ricketts
David Wheater
Matt Mills
Tim Ream

Chris Eagles
Mark Davis
Martin Petrov

David N'Gog
Kevin Davies

Nothing about that Leicester side scares me! 80 % are overrated has beens! Bolton have probably the strongest side and it confirms to me that you know nothing about football by putting Forest in the mix they're squad is awful! We finished 6th last year and the squad will be stronger by the end of the transfer window I say we're going to be minimum top 6. A quality striker, CB39 and defensive cover and we'll be pushing the top 2.

Yeah know absolutely nothing about football :D

I doubt there are many from our side that forest would swap with theirs. One bad season and now they are rap, typical unknowledgable football fan

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:20 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Agree, I wouldn't swap out team for Leicester.

I'd be happy to set up a thread and do a charitable bet with anyone who thinks we will finish higher than Leicester.

Any takers?

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:23 pm

RoathMagic wrote:

I'd be happy to set up a thread and do a charitable bet with anyone who thinks we will finish higher than Leicester.

Any takers?

Tell me what 'quality' Leicester have in their side? :lol:

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:34 pm

glammy74 wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:

Any takers?

You are asking me to point out the quality in the favourites for the championship title's startng eleven?

It would probably be better for you to point out the lack of quality considering its clearly the more left field opinion and we will go from there.

Are you going to take me up on the bet by the way?
Last edited by RoathMagic on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:34 pm

RoathMagic wrote:

Any takers?

This thread is about our current squads.

I think Leicester will be challenging highly up the league but I fully expect them to bring in a number of players yet.

Also expect us to bring in others.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:35 pm

RoathMagic wrote:
glammy74 wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:

Any takers?

You are asking me to point out the quality in the favourites for the championship title's startng eleven?

It would probably be better for you to point out the lack of quality considering its clearly the more left field opinion and we will go from there.

No why should i waste my time

I said name the quality players Leicester have in their side as it stands..

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:35 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:

Any takers?

This thread is about our current squads.

I think Leicester will be challenging highly up the league but I fully expect them to bring in a number of players yet.

Also expect us to bring in others.

I doubt Leicester will bring many more in now until jan. they look very strong.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Roath Magic

Why are you bothered where Cardiff City finish next season? You recently said on here that we must cut our cloth accordingly financially and you would rather see us buy on the cheap and if that meant helping clear some debts you would be quite happy to accept dropping back down the divisions.

Also the Leicester and Bolton players listed. We've competed with many of these the last few seasons and most of them are average at best. I'd put a hefty sum on if we were in the market for any of these then you would instantly find a negative fault eg Konchesky a waste of money, Eagles couldn't cut it in the top flight or Kasper poor for CCFC the first time around. Our current form v Leicester the last three years is up there with the best head to heads, and we'll take points off them again this term

We're a mere two to three signings away from the most complete squad we've had in years. Those signings are on their way too. I'm sure you're thrilled about that. I'll let you know when

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:37 pm

glammy74 wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:
glammy74 wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:

Any takers?

No why should i waste my time

I said name the quality players Leicester have in their side as it stands..

Why should I waste my time then?

They Re the favourites for a reason and their squad says it for itself. You have the obtuse opinion here so it would be far more beneficial to everyone for you to tell us what you don't rate about the favourites for the titles team as many here and industry experts alike are clearly not seeing something you are :D

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:40 pm

RoathMagic wrote:
Why should I waste my time then?

They Re the favourites for a reason and their squad says it for itself. You have the obtuse opinion here so it would be far more beneficial to everyone for you to tell us what you don't rate about the favourites for the titles team as many here and industry experts alike are clearly not seeing something you are :D

Im sure many will back me up - Leicester have brought some rubbish and in my opinion have about 5 quality championship players and some of them are inconsistent at times

There are much better teams around than Leicester :lol: