Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The "Special" One

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:23 am

CARDIFF CITY boss Malky Mackay has labelled new foreign capture Kim Bo-kyung as the “special” one for his Bluebirds.

Mackay says Kim, dubbed the new Park Ji-sung, will become the next huge footballer to have emerged from South Korea.

The 22-year-old creative midfield star completed his £2m transfer from Japanese club Cerezo Osaka, even though the Bluebirds faced competition from German champions Borussia Dortmund and Scottish giants Celtic for his signature.

Mackay also revealed there was a last-minute bid from an unnamed Premier League club to gazump Kim’s move to Wales, but he still managed to land his man.

“This one is really exciting,” declared Mackay. “Kim is going to be the next big thing out of South Korea and will win many international caps for his country.

“He has the potential to be something special.

“There was strong interest from others and a Premier League club stepped in last week.

“But the player had already committed to Cardiff by then and we were absolutely delighted by that.

“We have had strong recommendations from our contacts in South Korea, including an English coach, because Kim is an up-and-coming force.”

Kim, who has signed a three-year contract at Cardiff, is currently with the South Korea Olympic squad at London 2012.

He played in the goalless draw against Mexico on Thursday and should feature in their next match, against Switzerland at Coventry, tomorrow.

Kim will link up with his new Bluebirds team-mates after his Olympic adventure ends.

The South Korean star said: “Cardiff City was always my preferred choice, despite interest from other clubs. I think the tactics and the vision here will suit me and that is why I wanted to come to the club.

“I enjoy playing with confidence; when I’m confident I score goals and I hope to score a lot of goals here at Cardiff City.

“I still have a lot to learn, but believe I can offer my technique and passing ability to the team.

“Playing in the Championship will be very different to the J-League. I will learn a lot from playing in such a division, but also believe I can use what I’ve learned from Japan and bring that to the team too.

“I’m just happy to have signed for Cardiff before I play more games in the Olympics.

“It will have a positive impact on my play for South Korea, I am sure.”

He continued: “I admire Park Ji-sung, who has been my teacher and role model as a young South Korean footballer.

“I know he has said some nice things about me and my potential; I don’t know if I will become as good a player as he says he thinks I could, but I will certainly try my very best to meet expectations.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z21uohiYLi

Re: The "Special" One

Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:58 am

Looking forward to seeing this lad, Asians generally have a good work ethic about them and he seems to have an eye for a pass and versatile

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:41 am

He certainly looked good the other day in the Olympics, a great acquisition :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:56 am

Anyone know when (or if) he's next playing in the olympics?

Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:05 pm

I thought Jason Koumas was coming back then :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:06 pm

OhhhGa wrote:Anyone know when (or if) he's next playing in the olympics?

17.15 kick off, he started last game but had a head injury

Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:15 pm

I Bleed Blue wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:Anyone know when (or if) he's next playing in the olympics?

17.15 kick off, he started last game but had a head injury

Thanks, hopefully get to see a bit of him :ayatollah: