Turner
Hudson

Whittingham
Gunnarsson
Kim Bo
Bellamy

Maynard
Velikonja

Thats not a bad starting eleven!! (If we sign Maynard and Bellamy). We CAN afford to be
positive, so far the signings have gone well, so why not?

Also:

Mason ( a year older
Ralls ( a year older)
Harris (dying to break through to the first team)
Blake (good cover)
Mutch (good enough for the team anyway)
Kiss (good cover)
A N other defender (needed, but who will it be?)
Conway (decent lad, unlucky with injuries really)
Cowie (workhorse, perfect to come on for tired legs)

Thats a cracking midfield. Mobile, sharp, skilful... with Gunnarrson holding
in front of a steady back four.

Velikonja is obviously untested, but I have faith. If we get Maynard. who would
fancy themselves defending against us?

.....Given that there are still one or two left to sign IN THE NEXT THREE WEEKS..

surely the knockers cant say Bellamy, Maynard and the other defender arent just pie
in the sky now? This could have the makings of a team that can really challenge

Re: POSITIVITY POST - ALERT ALERT ALERT

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:56 am

taffyapple wrote:Marshall

McNaughton
Taylor
Turner
Hudson

Whittingham
Gunnarsson
Kim Bo
Bellamy

Maynard
Velikonja

Thats not a bad starting eleven!! (If we sign Maynard and Bellamy). We CAN afford to be

Also:

Mason ( a year older
Ralls ( a year older)
Blake (good cover)
Kiss (good cover)

.....Given that there are still one or two left to sign IN THE NEXT THREE WEEKS..

surely the knockers cant say Bellamy, Maynard and the other defender arent just pie

But what are our wages bill and they are all Championship players at best and Bellamy at 35K and Maynard at 20K plus will only add to our over all debt and Tan will do a runner at the end of the season...............................

Just thought i would get in before Roath Tragic gets a chance ;) :D

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:57 am

I don't think he'll go 4-4-2. Personally I think he'll continue with one up front

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:58 am

Angry Man wrote:I don't think he'll go 4-4-2. Personally I think he'll continue with one up front

Me too :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:04 am

I bet Roath Magic replies to this :lol:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:07 am

with that midfield mate you would drive a bus through there
mate

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:08 am

I reckon he may stick to a 4-4-2 or he might use an usual formation? Maybe 4-1-3-2, with same defence, gunnar as DM, then you've got your Kim, Bellamy and Cowie/Whitts then Velikonja and Maynard up front, it's going to be a good season on the pitch wise if we get in the right players, I think we'll play much better attacking football than last season

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:31 am

Marshall

Kev Turner Hudson Taylor

Aron Whitts

KIM Mutch Bellamy

Velikonja

4-2-3-1

Maynard will probably not sign.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:36 am

McNaughton
Taylor
Turner
Hudson

Whittingham
Gunnarsson
Kim Bo
Bellamy

Maynard
Velikonja

Also:

Mason ( a year older
Ralls ( a year older)
Blake (good cover)
Kiss (good cover)

Mason has to be in the starting 11 in my opinion. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:50 am

scott_w_ccfc wrote:

McNaughton
Taylor
Turner
Hudson

Whittingham
Gunnarsson
Kim Bo
Bellamy

Maynard
Velikonja

Also:

Mason ( a year older
Ralls ( a year older)
Blake (good cover)
Kiss (good cover)

Mason has to be in the starting 11 in my opinion. :ayatollah:

Mason got a dozen goals in his first season, as a bit-part player..including one in a Cup Final,
cooly slotting the ball under one of Europes top keepers. Given the chance. Hmmmm. This season
he could realistically get twenty.

you could well be right mate. Maybe our 'nicky maynard' is already at the club :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:50 am

But thats the beauty of it.Rotation! or as some like to call it "a plan B".Malky can rest players for a couple of weeks knowing he's got as good to come in.A new concept for us :lol: Still,I agree that we need a couple more in some positions.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:03 pm

Too Late did this two days ago :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87221

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:12 pm

if all the "prestige" hype is for Maynard, then I for one will be a tad disappointed.
He certainly not a target man or someone who can shield and hold up the ball bringing others into play.
That's what we desperately lacked last season. Big fan of Mason, but at the moment he's still learning his trade and is not strong enough on the ball. Would rather Fuller or Jay back.
Also cannot see Mutch warming the bench. Trouble is City have a plethora of centre mids to choose from. Where this honestly leaves Kiss, Ralls, McPhail I don't know. Think they'll struggle to even make the bench.

--------------------------------------------------Marshall--------------------------------------------

McNaughton--------------------Hudson-----------------------Turner-----------------------Taylor

------------------------------------------------Gunnarson---------------------------------------------

Kim Bo----------------------------Mutch-------------------Whittingham-------------------Conway

..............................................Velikonja------------------------------------------------

Bench: Lewis, Harris, Cowie, Blake, Mason, Ralls, Gestede

Haven't included Bellamy as I feel that if he wanted to sign he would have already done so like Kim Bo.
Would obviously welcome him with open arms, but until I see him in a City shirt, I think his future perhaps lies elsewhere.

From the above team we look exceptionally solid defensively.
The diamond of Gunnarson, Mutch and Whittingham I think will better any team in the division.

I see 2 issues... defence is still a little slow and playing 1 lone striker will create a lot of pressure on Velikonja to perform.
If he's not supported, then he'll go the same way as Kenny. Can run round all day long but fruitless especially when City resort to long balls from the back.

Hopefully Kim Bo and a revitalised Conway/Harris/Bellamy will provide the speed and width we lacked so badly last season and therefore give him with opportunities a plenty.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:23 pm

Northamptonblues wrote:if all the "prestige" hype is for Maynard, then I for one will be a tad disappointed.
He certainly not a target man or someone who can shield and hold up the ball bringing others into play.
That's what we desperately lacked last season. Big fan of Mason, but at the moment he's still learning his trade and is not strong enough on the ball. Would rather Fuller or Jay back.
Also cannot see Mutch warming the bench. Trouble is City have a plethora of centre mids to choose from. Where this honestly leaves Kiss, Ralls, McPhail I don't know. Think they'll struggle to even make the bench.

--------------------------------------------------Marshall--------------------------------------------

McNaughton--------------------Hudson-----------------------Turner-----------------------Taylor

------------------------------------------------Gunnarson---------------------------------------------

Kim Bo----------------------------Mutch-------------------Whittingham-------------------Conway

..............................................Velikonja------------------------------------------------

Bench: Lewis, Harris, Cowie, Blake, Mason, Ralls, Gestede

Haven't included Bellamy as I feel that if he wanted to sign he would have already done so like Kim Bo.
Would obviously welcome him with open arms, but until I see him in a City shirt, I think his future perhaps lies elsewhere.

From the above team we look exceptionally solid defensively.
The diamond of Gunnarson, Mutch and Whittingham I think will better any team in the division.

I see 2 issues... defence is still a little slow and playing 1 lone striker will create a lot of pressure on Velikonja to perform.
If he's not supported, then he'll go the same way as Kenny. Can run round all day long but fruitless especially when City resort to long balls from the back.

Hopefully Kim Bo and a revitalised Conway/Harris/Bellamy will provide the speed and width we lacked so badly last season and therefore give him with opportunities a plenty.

Im not sure about this 'target man' so much any more. If we adopt a style similar to Barcelona...
they come forward in waves from midfield, so do Spain. The one solitary 'striker' is generally
running across the line and looking to drag defenders with him. THEIR midfield players are so
comfortable with the ball and are patient enough to wait for the break. Perhaps thats the new
football? We can easily adopt that style with maybe Velonykja playing the front man. Or Maynard
if he comes (he'd be ideal)

We are obviously no Barcelona. But then again, neither will our opposition be. Sooner than giving
it to a striker with his back to goal and ask him to play an unnatural role, just holding the ball up...

Have confidence in the midfield to hold the ball up instead?

Perhaps?

The top teams are happy playing pass the parcel between midfield and defence until a gap appears

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:28 pm

All this targetman stuff is nonsense.

Tell me who was the target man in the Yorke and Cole days.

Tell me who was the targetman in the Owen and Fowler days.

You dont need a target man, you just need a front two with an understanding.

:roll:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:50 pm

team comin together nicely, gettin excited for new season even with all the shit goin on with rebrand and stuff. Can't wait for game tom i'll be there

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:05 pm

Like the look of taffyapples team, 99% certain bellers will sign as know that he does want to end his days coaching the acadamy kids.

Think we need a couple of old heads for the bench though,maybe a centre forward, in the 6ft range. looks like a young bench and as good as they can be, just wouldn't mind an oldie or two to come on and who has been and done it in hard times, and not loan signings..just don't ask me who it could be as I have no idea who I'd want who is realistically going to come and is avalible.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:33 pm

RedBluebird wrote:All this targetman stuff is nonsense.

trouble is... neither Man U or Liverpool played endless long balls out from defence like City did during the second half of last season.

A target man or someone who can retain the ball and bring others into play is essential if City continue where they left off last season.

No point having 2 up front with an understanding if all the service they get is high long balls up against 6'3 defenders.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:34 pm

What about poor old Earnie :cry:

I still think hes good enough player and can score goals at this level, just his partnership with Miller didnt work.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:03 pm

United had berba who holds the ball up very well, makes it look effortless. Liverpool have carroll, ,newcastle have ba, city have dekho, gooners have chamack, chelsea had drog. Spurs have adebayor. So teams do have the target man avalible if needed. Its not to say that you have to hit a long ball to them, but you do need players in your squad who can play with there back to goal.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:07 pm

Northamptonblues wrote:
RedBluebird wrote:All this targetman stuff is nonsense.

trouble is... neither Man U or Liverpool played endless long balls out from defence like City did during the second half of last season.

A target man or someone who can retain the ball and bring others into play is essential if City continue where they left off last season.

No point having 2 up front with an understanding if all the service they get is high long balls up against 6'3 defenders.

Ideal scenario is for a midfield capable of holding onto the ball. A player or
two with the pace to get behind the defences. That way, whoever is up front
can concentrate on getting into that 6 yard box

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:13 pm

Some good options in midfield , looking more competitive . I'll keep my ultra-positivite mode until we've a few more quality players on-board . Still think we need another pacy, wide guy who can deliver and of course , a quality CF !

Major concern for me is at the back - KM/BT/MH & AT dont cut it IMHO ,the latter didnt convince me last season , BT & MH not a top combination as a little too similar , think we need someone with more mobility alongside BT , for me ! KM , always gives 100% . Would like DB to be given a run though not necessarily at KM expense !

MM gotta few more weeks but I would like more quality in sharpish to bed down before HTFC !

That said - team-building takes time and I'm sure MM will get enough signings to make us all ( well most of us ) happy in due course !

Oh aye and RoathMagic ,Waddle , RedBluebird ,NJ73 and bysedd6 ON THE BENCH !

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Of course we need a target man that was god dam obvious from the hoofball we played for half a season. Of it wasn't hoofball it was dreamfootball or its classed as being negative :lol:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:37 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:Of course we need a target man that was god dam obvious from the hoofball we played for half a season. Of it wasn't hoofball it was dreamfootball or its classed as being negative :lol:

We can always change philosophy and formation?

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:48 pm

Angry Man wrote:I don't think he'll go 4-4-2. Personally I think he'll continue with one up front

Hope not. Do'nt fancy another yawn fest of a season. Did'nt Malky see how shit Team GB were last night with their lone striker tactics.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:53 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:

Hope not. Do'nt fancy another yawn fest of a season. Did'nt Malky see how shit Team GB were last night with their lone striker tactics.

The lone striker role is the way forward. But you need midfield players that
are comfortable on the ball and can keep hold of it. Wait for the killer pass
and not panic and just hoof it

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:56 pm

I Bleed Blue wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:Of course we need a target man that was god dam obvious from the hoofball we played for half a season. Of it wasn't hoofball it was dreamfootball or its classed as being negative :lol:

We can always change philosophy and formation?

Let's hope so but it wasn't changed for half a season at times when clearly it wasn't working, but we can hope this season we change something rather than watch it week in week out when its not working still, that was are downfall last season I think, but with some width and 2-3 more good signings maybe a top end spot might be there for us. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:57 pm

------------------Mutch----------------------Gunnarson------------------Whittingham------------

-----Bellamy---------------------------------Velikonja------------------------------Kim Bo-------------

4:3:3 ok??????

Bench from : Lewis, Harris, Cowie, Conway, Blake, Mason, Ralls, Maynard, Kiss, Mcphail, Gestede

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:00 pm

I forgot Earnie and Jarvis!!!

what am i like eh :lol:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:09 pm

McNaughton
Taylor
Turner
Hudson

Whittingham
Gunnarsson
Kim Bo
Bellamy

Maynard
Velikonja

Also:

Mason ( a year older
Ralls ( a year older)
Blake (good cover)
Kiss (good cover)

As well as Bellamy and Maynard we need IMO 2 more defenders (FB + CB) plus a target man so we can go to plan B if a small forward line isn't working. At present our squad lacks depth up front and in defence but we are overloaded in midfield. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with Malky's signings so far but we are not a top 2 squad at the moment....and I'm totally fed up with the play-offs :ayatollah: