Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

12/13 Better Than 09/10?

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 am

Will our squad be better than the 09/10 squad?

That's the question Iv been asking myself the last couple of weeks. That season was easily one of our strongest ever squads, though we we're very thin we had so much quality in all areas of the field in the starting line up apart from maybe the back 4.

With our current signings and more to come in do you think that we will have a stronger squad?

My opinion is that our defence is slighty better with Taylor and Turner and hopefully we can add a little more depth. Our
Midfield is way better and we have some depth there also with all types of midfield players that we can utilise to any type of game plan. Do think that our strike force is weaker than the 09/10 season at the moment but there still time left to add to the squad and also think that the midfield will chip in with more goals.

The only other thing that worries me is the quality of other teams that are in the championship this year. 09/10 was one of the weakest since wev been in the championship in my opinion. It's going to be a tough year regardless of who we sign. I guess time will tell.

Re: 12/13 Better Than 09/10?

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:54 am

BlueWhite&Yellow wrote:Will our squad be better than the 09/10 squad?

That's the question Iv been asking myself the last couple of weeks. That season was easily one of our strongest ever squads, though we we're very thin we had so much quality in all areas of the field in the starting line up apart from maybe the back 4.

With our current signings and more to come in do you think that we will have a stronger squad?

My opinion is that our defence is slighty better with Taylor and Turner and hopefully we can add a little more depth. Our
Midfield is way better and we have some depth there also with all types of midfield players that we can utilise to any type of game plan. Do think that our strike force is weaker than the 09/10 season at the moment but there still time left to add to the squad and also think that the midfield will chip in with more goals.

The only other thing that worries me is the quality of other teams that are in the championship this year. 09/10 was one of the weakest since wev been in the championship in my opinion. It's going to be a tough year regardless of who we sign. I guess time will tell.

If you consider that the Squad are ALL cardiff city players (and not loanees) then yes.

However, I do think the squad in 09/10 was great, and considering where we were at the time we had a lot of strength in depth.

I think the standard/quality of players since then have improved. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:17 am

pick your 1st XI from the players of that year and this and there will be your answer

here's mine:

GK - David Marshall

RB - new Defender/right back
CB - Ben Turner
CB - Mark hudson
LB - Andrew Taylor

DM - Aaron Gunnarson

AM - Peter Whittingham
AM - Bo Kyung Kim
AM - Craig Bellamy

ST - Michael Chopra
ST - Jay Bothroyd

subs:

Tom heaton, Kevin Mcnaughton, Darcy Blake, Jordon Mutch, Don Cowie, Joe Mason, Etien Velikonja.

everyone picked if 100% on thier game.

i dont like leaving out craig conway
and not considered Ramsey cos it was only a short term deal

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:40 pm

valleycasual wrote:

pick your 1st XI from the players of that year and this and there will be your answer

here's mine:

GK - David Marshall

CB - Ben Turner
CB - Mark hudson
LB - Andrew Taylor

DM - Aaron Gunnarson

AM - Peter Whittingham
AM - Bo Kyung Kim
AM - Craig Bellamy

ST - Michael Chopra
ST - Jay Bothroyd

subs:

Tom heaton, Kevin Mcnaughton, Darcy Blake, Jordon Mutch, Don Cowie, Joe Mason, Etien Velikonja.

no McNaughton :lol: :lol: :lol:

his distribution might not be the best, and last season might not have been his best, but he has won our player of the year once remember and he's the best damn defender this club has had in years.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:44 pm

valleycasual wrote:

here's mine:

GK - David Marshall

CB - Ben Turner
CB - Mark hudson
LB - Andrew Taylor

DM - Aaron Gunnarson

AM - Peter Whittingham
AM - Bo Kyung Kim
AM - Craig Bellamy

ST - Michael Chopra
ST - Jay Bothroyd

subs:

Yes mine would be very similar only I would have: -

GK - David Marshall

RB - Mc Naughton
CB - Ben Turner
CB - Mark hudson
LB - Andrew Taylor

DM - Aaron Gunnarson

AM - Peter Whittingham
AM - Bo-Kyung Kim
AM - Craig Bellamy

ST - Michael Chopra
ST - Jay Bothroyd

Tom heaton, Adam Matthews, Don Cowie, Jordon Mutch, Chris Burke, Joe Mason, Etien Velikonja.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Marshall
McNaughton Hudson Turner Taylor
Burke Olofinjana Whittingham Bellamy
Mason Bothroyd

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:32 pm

MARSHALL

KEV
TURNER
HUDSON
TAYLOR

BURKE
KIMBO
OLOFINJANA
WHITTS

BOTHROYD
BELLAMY

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:48 pm

scott_w_ccfc wrote:
valleycasual wrote:

here's mine:

GK - David Marshall

CB - Ben Turner
CB - Mark hudson
LB - Andrew Taylor

DM - Aaron Gunnarson

AM - Peter Whittingham
AM - Bo Kyung Kim
AM - Craig Bellamy

ST - Michael Chopra
ST - Jay Bothroyd

subs:

his distribution might not be the best, and last season might not have been his best, but he has won our player of the year once remember and he's the best damn defender this club has had in years.

i think this apparent new premiership defender coming, is here to oust Mr Mcnaughton. plus i'm going on what team i would pick for next season, if said players were available.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:19 pm

valleycasual wrote:
scott_w_ccfc wrote:
valleycasual wrote:

here's mine:

GK - David Marshall

CB - Ben Turner
CB - Mark hudson
LB - Andrew Taylor

DM - Aaron Gunnarson

AM - Peter Whittingham
AM - Bo Kyung Kim
AM - Craig Bellamy

ST - Michael Chopra
ST - Jay Bothroyd

subs:

i think this apparent new premiership defender coming, is here to oust Mr Mcnaughton. plus i'm going on what team i would pick for next season, if said players were available.

yeah but still McNaughton hasnt suddenly became a worse player, he just didnt have the best season

he's still defensively the best full-back in the division, you'll very rarely see a winger beat him down his side :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:37 pm

09/10? Don't you mean 10/11? :?

Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:09/10? Don't you mean 10/11? :?

Yeah he does. The year Bellars signed for us on loan. You are right it was the 10/11 season. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:39 pm

No, I'm comparing that season as it was our best chance of getting promoted. I'm taking the teams thats within the league into consideration also.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:47 am

BlueWhite&Yellow wrote:No, I'm comparing that season as it was our best chance of getting promoted. I'm taking the teams thats within the league into consideration also.

But Newcastle and West Brom were in it!

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:06 am

Semantics I know but CB39 was the 2010/11 squad.

We were under transfer embargo in 2009/10 and still made the PO final with a threadbare squad

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:10 am

BlueWhite&Yellow wrote:No, I'm comparing that season as it was our best chance of getting promoted. I'm taking the teams thats within the league into consideration also.

Youve defo got the wring year. 2009/10 had Newcastle and West Brom. Way better teams than got promoted in 2010/11 - QPR, Norwich and
JBs

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:03 am

We made the final that year. Where did we end up in 10/11?

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:09 am

BlueWhite&Yellow wrote:We made the final that year. Where did we end up in 10/11?

Just admit you got the wrong year mate. it would be easier.

The 2010/11 squad was far better than 09/10 and the league weaker.

We were in top 2 most of the season 2010/11 with players such as Olifunjana and Bellers. Or are you saying Gavin Rae and Kelvin Etuhu are better players?

And are you also saying QPR and Norwich were better than Newcastle and WBA?

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:32 am

CP76 wrote:
BlueWhite&Yellow wrote:We made the final that year. Where did we end up in 10/11?

We were in top 2 most of the season 2010/11 with players such as Olifunjana and Bellers. Or are you saying Gavin Rae and Kelvin Etuhu are better players?

Just admit where we ended up!

Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:34 pm

BlueWhite&Yellow wrote:
CP76 wrote:

Playoffs have no bearing on league strength :?

It's all about who has form going in and who's has the fittest squad.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:38 am

BlueWhite&Yellow wrote:
CP76 wrote:

Just answer the valid points I raised.

Please explain how 09/10 squad was better than 10/11? Im all ears.