Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Anyone still wanna debate???

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:51 pm

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... -the-brink

Portsmouth administrator Trevor Birch has warned that the club could be liquidated within the next fortnight.

The League One club are trying to negotiate with eight senior players, but their refusal to compromise over wage demands has left Pompey on the brink of extinction.

Nwankwo Kanu has also lodged a claim for £3million in back pay and Birch says it is the players who have the future of Pompey in their hands.

"The club is heading for liquidation in just a few weeks, perhaps two weeks if these players don't leave or compromise on their wages," Birch said.

"The problem with everybody is that this club has cried wolf so often that no one believes it will happen, no one believes they will go out of business, but they will in two or three weeks."
Trevor Birch Quotes of the week
'Portsmouth fatigue'

"We still have players like Ben Haim, Dave Kitson and Kanu on our books.

"Kanu has served the club notice that he wants to leave but before doing so he wants the money he says is owed to him by the club. These players hold the survival of the club in their hands.

"I must stress it is not their fault as the players didn't get the club into this trouble, but they do now have the ability to get the club out of this mess.

"The problem with everybody is that this club has cried wolf so often that no one believes it will happen, no one believes they will go out of business, but they will in two or three weeks.

"It is that serious now. The trouble is 'Portsmouth fatigue', but the truth is that the club is now fighting for its life."
Compromise

Former owner Balu Chainrai, whose Portpin group are set to take control at Fratton Park once again should no other buyers be found, confirmed that the future of the club was in the hands of the players.

Chainrai told Sky Sports News: "We are working with Trevor Birch to reach compromises on lowering the players' wage bill which, at the moment, is unbearable for the club.

"Unless this can be achieved the administrator will be forced to liquidate the club as there will be no way to exit administration.

"The survival of the club lies in the hands of these players who need to compromise."

Re: Anyone still wanna debate???

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:54 pm

caerdydd_78 wrote:http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11674/7928354/Pompey-on-the-brink

Portsmouth administrator Trevor Birch has warned that the club could be liquidated within the next fortnight.

The League One club are trying to negotiate with eight senior players, but their refusal to compromise over wage demands has left Pompey on the brink of extinction.

Nwankwo Kanu has also lodged a claim for £3million in back pay and Birch says it is the players who have the future of Pompey in their hands.

"The club is heading for liquidation in just a few weeks, perhaps two weeks if these players don't leave or compromise on their wages," Birch said.

"The problem with everybody is that this club has cried wolf so often that no one believes it will happen, no one believes they will go out of business, but they will in two or three weeks."
Trevor Birch Quotes of the week
'Portsmouth fatigue'

"We still have players like Ben Haim, Dave Kitson and Kanu on our books.

"Kanu has served the club notice that he wants to leave but before doing so he wants the money he says is owed to him by the club. These players hold the survival of the club in their hands.

"I must stress it is not their fault as the players didn't get the club into this trouble, but they do now have the ability to get the club out of this mess.

"The problem with everybody is that this club has cried wolf so often that no one believes it will happen, no one believes they will go out of business, but they will in two or three weeks.

"It is that serious now. The trouble is 'Portsmouth fatigue', but the truth is that the club is now fighting for its life."
Compromise

Former owner Balu Chainrai, whose Portpin group are set to take control at Fratton Park once again should no other buyers be found, confirmed that the future of the club was in the hands of the players.

Chainrai told Sky Sports News: "We are working with Trevor Birch to reach compromises on lowering the players' wage bill which, at the moment, is unbearable for the club.

"Unless this can be achieved the administrator will be forced to liquidate the club as there will be no way to exit administration.

"The survival of the club lies in the hands of these players who need to compromise."

i honestly feel like i've lost my club anyway with the rebranding, but no obviously no fan would want what's happening to Pompey/Rangers!

What would have been nice is our investor respecting the history of the club and not implenting a completely pointless change for his own personal preference!

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:55 pm

This is a Cardiff forum why do you want to debate Pompey :?

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:57 pm

Rich owner, wages exceeding income, failed attempts to get promoted.... This is what we are risking and probably facing.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:58 pm

CP76 wrote:This is a Cardiff forum why do you want to debate Pompey :?

Because I'm using Pompy as a possible result for us, if the planned re-brand didn't go ahead.

Come on Polo lad.....

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:05 pm

The sobering fact is... If it cost nothing to run a football club at all and all you had to do is pay the staff.... We would still need a loan to cover it.

103% of our income and growing is bing spent on players wages. If we fail to go up in the next year or 2 then it's clear that we will be he next pompy. Judging from our squad compared to other teams in the division, us not being promoted is far more a reality that not... Which is why this is a terrible time for the club. And being accused of being negative when I'm not jumping for joy at yet another 20k a week signing shows the complete lack of undstanding of the situation that most city fans have.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:06 pm

caerdydd_78 wrote:

Because I'm using Pompy as a possible result for us, if the planned re-brand didn't go ahead.

Come on Polo lad.....

Even though Whitely said on several occasions it was never red or dead :?

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:08 pm

CP76 wrote:
caerdydd_78 wrote:

Come on Polo lad.....

It wasn't. But now the rebrand has gone ahead, it's very much now red or dead.... Or promotion or dead as it were.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:10 pm

RoathMagic wrote:
CP76 wrote:
caerdydd_78 wrote:

Come on Polo lad.....

It wasn't. But now the rebrand has gone ahead, it's very much now red or dead.... Or promotion or dead as it were.

How exactlly is that?

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Bury your head in the sand, it may go away

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:23 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:
CP76 wrote:
caerdydd_78 wrote:

Come on Polo lad.....

How exactlly is that?

Because we will soon be in £100million debt and 15% of tans total wealth increasing by 3% every year just keeping us afloat without even spending a penny on the squad. Football clubs are a financial black hole, how much more money do you think tan is going to throw away.

What's the absolute maximum he could sell us for if we are promoted and become stable? £100m? 120m max? So it's safe to say tan isn't going to invest more than he can possibly get back. Remember he's doing it for him not us. If after this season his investment stands at £100m how many more seasons do you think he's going to stick around given that he has to chuck in £17m every year just for us to survive? The only viable thing to do is damage limitations and claw back as much of the investment before trying to get rid of the club like the pompy situation.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:32 pm

RoathMagic wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:
CP76 wrote:
caerdydd_78 wrote:

Come on Polo lad.....

How exactlly is that?

Because we will soon be in £100million debt and 15% of tans total wealth increasing by 3% every year just keeping us afloat without even spending a penny on the squad. Football clubs are a financial black hole, how much more money do you think tan is going to throw away.

What's the absolute maximum he could sell us for if we are promoted and become stable? £100m? 120m max? So it's safe to say tan isn't going to invest more than he can possibly get back. Remember he's doing it for him not us. If after this season his investment stands at £100m how many more seasons do you think he's going to stick around given that he has to chuck in £17m every year just for us to survive? The only viable thing to do is damage limitations and claw back as much of the investment before trying to get rid of the club like the pompy situation.

First off Tan has yet to invest the full £100 million which he will not do untill we make the premier league. If things all go to plan then Langstone will be settled and debt changed to equity. As for damage limitations all he can do is asset strip us and the only assets we currently have is the stadium and the house of sport neither will recoup his full amount. If we do fail to make the prem and he no longer wants to pay for it all the only option I can see is for him to bring in other investors otherwise he will get hardly anything of the money he has put in back

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:33 pm

I know that Roath Magic is all doom and gloom but - we are being gambled with, like it or not.

The only saving grace is Man city, Man U and Chelsea are too. If their owners go - they could go bust.
Arsenal get slammed for trying to keep in the black!
Pompey a victim of premier league - which is what we have now locked into.
Failure for CCFC could be catastrophic.

Our hope is that this guy knows what he is doing with our beloved club

at the moment though - looks like QPR -Tony Fernandes is winning the 'Main Man of Malaysia' tag.

Really massive season ahead.........
:ayatollah:

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:36 pm

CP76 wrote:
caerdydd_78 wrote:

Come on Polo lad.....

I understand that, however all I am saying is without the investment it would have been a lot more precarious than it already is.

My debate is not about red or dead.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:45 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:
First off Tan has yet to invest the full £100 million which he will not do untill we make the premier league. If things all go to plan then Langstone will be settled and debt changed to equity. As for damage limitations all he can do is asset strip us and the only assets we currently have is the stadium and the house of sport neither will recoup his full amount. If we do fail to make the prem and he no longer wants to pay for it all the only option I can see is for him to bring in other investors otherwise he will get hardly anything of the money he has put in back

Our debt currently stands at £86m and increasing by at least £15m per season.

When our wage bill is 103% of income after realising the initial statement... Anyone who isn't worried is either too stupid to understand or doesn't really care about the club.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:47 pm

RoathMagic wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:

When our wage bill is 103% of income after realising the initial statement... Anyone who isn't worried is either too stupid to understand or doesn't really care about the club.

Whoever said I wasnt worried. The only reason Im going along with this rebranding is because of the debt to try and resolve it. Can I just ask how do you know our wage bill is 103% of the our income?

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:59 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:

Whoever said I wasnt worried. The only reason Im going along with this rebranding is because of the debt to try and resolve it. Can I just ask how do you know our wage bill is 103% of the our income?

Total income is £15.93 million with a wage bill of £16.15 million. Straight from the published accounts of the club.

And now we want to sign kimbo on 23k a week and Bellamy on 30k a week which will cost a combined £5.5 million over 2 years. Scary huh? That's without Mutch, the Slovenian and the marquee striker :shock:

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:03 pm

pompey are in this mess, as they bought kanu, kitson and ben haim etc while they were still in the prem, the big contracts and huges wages were dished out and on relegation they were not able to offload the players to other teams....

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:05 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:pompey are in this mess, as they bought kanu, kitson and ben haim etc while they were still in the prem, the big contracts and huges wages were dished out and on relegation they were not able to offload the players to other teams....

It's all relative though. Paying kanu 50ka week with £30m income is the same as paying Kimbo £25k a week with a £15m income.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:26 pm

RoathMagic wrote:
CP76 wrote:
caerdydd_78 wrote:

Come on Polo lad.....

I am on the blue side mate and your not making sense at the moment :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:36 pm

RoathMagic wrote:
Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:pompey are in this mess, as they bought kanu, kitson and ben haim etc while they were still in the prem, the big contracts and huges wages were dished out and on relegation they were not able to offload the players to other teams....

It's all relative though. Paying kanu 50ka week with £30m income is the same as paying Kimbo £25k a week with a £15m income.

Pompey dont have 30m income :roll:

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:47 pm

CP76 wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:

They did when they are getting parachute payments, and that's when they were accumulating the debts.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:48 pm

dazzyt wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:
CP76 wrote:
caerdydd_78 wrote:

Come on Polo lad.....

I am on the blue side mate and your not making sense at the moment :ayatollah:

In what way? I'm making perfect sense.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:50 pm

RoathMagic wrote:
CP76 wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:

They did when they are getting parachute payments, and that's when they were accumulating the debts.

They dont now so its not relative with us paying 23k a week for Kimbo at all. :roll:

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:59 pm

CP76 wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:
CP76 wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:

They dont now so its not relative with us paying 23k a week for Kimbo at all. :roll:

They were put into admin when still receiving payments, and to my knowledge they will still get payments this year.

Plus they aren't paying kanu that anymore. He only played 10 times last year and was given a new 12 month contract on a massively reduced deal.

So yes it's exactly the same as us paying kimbo 23k a week.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:07 pm

RoathMagic wrote:
CP76 wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:
CP76 wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:

They were put into admin when still receiving payments, and to my knowledge they will still get payments this year.

Plus they aren't paying kanu that anymore. He only played 10 times last year and was given a new 12 month contract on a massively reduced deal.

So yes it's exactly the same as us paying kimbo 23k a week.

By the way we arent paying him 23k a week

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:18 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:

Source?

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Paying someone 50k a week when you havent got a pot to piss in is now "exactly the same" as paying someone 23k a week with a regular income stream :lol:

I know gypsies dont go to school but come on Roath. Basic maths dear boy.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:33 pm

CP76 wrote:Paying someone 50k a week when you havent got a pot to piss in is now "exactly the same" as paying someone 23k a week with a regular income stream :lol:

I know gypsies dont go to school but come on Roath. Basic maths dear boy.

Basic maths. Paying someone 50k when income is £30m is the same as paying someone 25k with income of £15m.

Why you think we have a pot to piss in is quite bizarre. Portsmouth are £53 million in debt, we are £84 million in debt.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:37 pm

RoathMagic wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:

Source?

Its been stated in a number of articles by various media that we refused to pay £23k a week but reduced it to £18k a week