Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Etien Velikonja poised to join up with Cardiff City

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:41 pm

Etien Velikonja poised to join up with Cardiff City
by Terry Phillips, South Wales EchoJul 23 2012

ETIEN Velikonja flies out of Sarajevo next Wednesday heading for South Wales to start a new life.

Buy Tickets to Sports Events on Ebay
The Slovenian goal ace has already committed to a £1m transfer from NK Maribor to Cardiff City, but first he has a little unfinished business in Europe.

The Bluebirds agreed Velikonja would be available to Maribor for their Champions League matches against FK Zeleznicar, but he sat out virtually all of the first leg before going on four minutes into injury time.

Maribor won 4-1 and look certain to ease into the next round, which means Velikonjar should be able to relax for the second leg in Bosnia and Herzegovina next Tuesday.

He will have his bag packed, fly from his Sarajevo home to Slovenia and then on to the UK where he will join City in time for their first pre-season match at Forest Green Rovers next Saturday.

“There are times to think of the club you are buying a player from and this was one of those,” said City manager Malky Mackay.

“Maribor were keen to have Etien in their squad for both legs of the Champions League tie, but he will be joining up with us next Wednesday.

“We felt the time was right to bring Etien into Championship football. We have keenly followed his progress and we want to ensure his career continues to develop with Cardiff City.”

Velikonja, 23, has revealed it was Mackay’s enthusiasm and ambition which persuaded him to sign for the Bluebirds, saying: “I want to play in the Premier League and believe I will achieve that with Cardiff City.

“It has always been my ambition to play in the English leagues.

“The ambition of Cardiff City convinced me it is the club for me. The squad is strong and hopefully is going to become even stronger by the start of the new season.

“Malky Mackay is a good, young manager who I’m really excited about playing for.”

Velikonjar, who scored 20 goals in 46 appearances for Slovenian champions Maribor last season, has signed a four-year contract with the Bluebirds and his arrival allowed experienced goal ace Kenny Miller to leave Cardiff and sign for Vancouver Whitecaps.

Velikonja, born on Boxing Day 1988, is from Sempeter pri Gorici in Yugoslavia and is now a senior Slovenian international.

He is still training with Maribor this week and they are favourites to finish off a win against Zeleznicar.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z21OjE2Ags

Re: Etien Velikonja poised to join up with Cardiff City

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:25 am

Do you think he could be a great find?

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:29 am

Excited to see what this lad's like on the pitch. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:27 am

:ayatollah:

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:36 am