Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

britons greatest sportsman?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:03 pm

After Bradley wiggins victory in the tour de france he is being called britons greatest sportsman. who is yours?

Re: britons greatest sportsman?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:11 pm

Ain't all them bicycle riders on drugs though? Make em all smoke a bong before every stage and then we will see who the real winner is! I can't think of any true british sporting great. We always seem to be shit on the world stage. Especially individual sports lol if wiggins defends his title next year and shows it aint no fluke or drug enhanced then I suppose he's got a good shout for the title of greatest british sportsman of all time! Says a lot about british sport though when a bicycle rider is considered as the greatest ever brit sportsman after winning one bike race lol

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:18 pm

the testing cyclists go through nowadays is ridiculous. Whoever wins the stage is automatically tested...as well as random tests and tests every 3 days regardless.....Winning le tour is an incredible feat........

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:38 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:Ain't all them bicycle riders on drugs though? Make em all smoke a bong before every stage and then we will see who the real winner is! I can't think of any true british sporting great. We always seem to be shit on the world stage. Especially individual sports lol if wiggins defends his title next year and shows it aint no fluke or drug enhanced then I suppose he's got a good shout for the title of greatest british sportsman of all time! Says a lot about british sport though when a bicycle rider is considered as the greatest ever brit sportsman after winning one bike race lol

Whats wrong with a bicycle rider being britons greatest sportsman.Wiggins has not only won the tour de france but has won numerous olympic medals and numerous tour races in europe.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Geoff Capes.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:35 pm

I am not a fan of rowing but i find it very difficult to look beyond Steve Redgrave.
5 Gold medals.
He won gold at every olympics he enterd over a timespan of 20 years. Amazing that a man can stay at the top of his proffession for that long. Is there another olympiad who has emulated such a thing?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Amir Khan.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:22 pm

Sir Steve Redgrave must be up there.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:30 pm

Daly Thompson? gotta be something special to win gold twice in the decathlon. People will prob say hes just good at most events and not immense at any, but since the maths says he prob done a 10th of the training individuals do for each event he couldnt have been far off world class for a good few of the events. Although Wiggins or Redgrave could easily be touted.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:34 pm

Mo Farah :)

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:58 pm

Jes wrote:I am not a fan of rowing but i find it very difficult to look beyond Steve Redgrave.
5 Gold medals.
He won gold at every olympics he enterd over a timespan of 20 years. Amazing that a man can stay at the top of his proffession for that long. Is there another olympiad who has emulated such a thing?

I have to agree. I have no interest in rowing but Redgrave has to be very close to the top of the list.

Daley Thompson is also a hell of a shout! Whoever brought that up, well done! :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:56 am

Thompson is a legend, most Germans to this day know his name, which tells you he was well recognised in the world outside the UK