Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Craig Bellamy. Value for money?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:51 am

I dont think so.

Watching him last night, and taking into account hes 33, is he really worth the reputed 40/50k a week?
Thats 4/5m over a 2 year deal? I dont think so.

Ive heard people slag Dave Jones off for signing expensive stop gaps with no resale value
but this would top the lot.

Hes 2 years older than the last time we git him and hes on his way down.

Would prefer we invested the money in an up and coming player like Thomas Ince who has resale value.

Re: Craig Bellamy. Value for money?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:52 am

Are you talking about the same Bellamy who only last season was one of Liverpools stand out performers?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:57 am

SA17 Bluebird wrote:Are you talking about the same Bellamy who only last season was one of Liverpools stand out performers?

Was he really though? He wasnt a regular. He had one ir two good games and people in here trying to make out he was layer of the year.

besides they were shit last season Rudy could have stood out for them they were that bad.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:59 am

Get Bellamy on board..think of all those red shirts that he could sell.

Seriously, One of liverpools best players last season he will tear defences apart at our level.

C'mon Bellers!!! :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:01 am

CP76 wrote:I dont think so.

Watching him last night, and taking into account hes 33, is he really worth the reputed 40/50k a week?

Ive heard people slag Dave Jones off for signing expensive stop gaps with no resale value

Would prefer we invested the money in an up and coming player like Thomas Ince who has resale value.

how can you ask is he value for money without him actually signing????????if he signs and scores 20 odd goals to gain us promotion obviously he will be value for money,but if he breaks down in the first game and dont play all season then clearly he wont be value for money

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:06 am

Don't often disagree with you mate, and I didn;t see the game last night, but I think you're wrong on this one. Bellamy would install the passion that seemed to be missing last year at times and galvanize the troops as a leader on the pitch when things maybe aren't going our way. Hudson has improved enormously as a player but still don't think he is vocal enough to be the captain whereas Bellamy certainly is. Admittedly, he isn't getting any younger but I think he still has a couple of years left in him yet - especially at Championship level.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:07 am

M4 Solicitor wrote:Get Bellamy on board..think of all those red shirts that he could sell.

Seriously, One of liverpools best players last season he will tear defences apart at our level.

C'mon Bellers!!! :ayatollah:

He didnt exactly "tear them apart" last time he was here and hes 2 years older now.

He only started 17 of Liverpools 50 games. 12 out of 38 league games so I dont know where this Liverpools player of the year is coming from.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:15 am

caerblue wrote:

ive heard people slag Dave Jones off for signing expensive stop gaps with no resale value

how can you ask is he value for money without him actually signing????????if he signs and scores 20 odd goals to gain us promotion obviously he will be value for money,but if he breaks down in the first game and dont play all season then clearly he wont be value for money

Of course I can ask wether or not I think he would be value for money dumb dumb

If I was going to buy a new sofa do I just buy one and then see if it was value for money? Or do I weigh up the pros and cons before deciding where my money would be getting most value?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:17 am

CP76 wrote:
caerblue wrote:

Of course I can ask wether or not I think he would be value for money dumb dumb

If I was going to buy a new sofa do I just buy one and then see if it was value for money? Or do I weigh up the pros and cins befire deciding where my money would be getting most value?

well if that sofa was to last you 10 years would that be value for money enough for you :lol: :lol:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:19 am

Yes, more so than a 2 year old sofa :D

Hence go for a player we will get more years out of :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:24 am

CP76 wrote:Yes, more so than a 2 year old sofa :D

Hence go for a player we will get more years out of :ayatollah:

didnt bellamy recently state he s as fit now as hes ever been?????????still a few years left in him yet,and his extra quality might gain us promotion,but value for money or not he aint a cardiff player

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:25 am

Bluebird For Life wrote:

Don't often disagree with you mate, and I didn;t see the game last night, but I think you're wrong on this one. Bellamy would install the passion that seemed to be missing last year at times and galvanize the troops as a leader on the pitch when things maybe aren't going our way. Hudson has improved enormously as a player but still don't think he is vocal enough to be the captain whereas Bellamy certainly is. Admittedly, he isn't getting any younger but I think he still has a couple of years left in him yet - especially at Championship level.

I hear what your saying but I dont think hes a great captain. Passion yes but arm throwing throwing and strops at his team mates if things are not perfect is not ideal for the youngster imo.

We had the likes of Jay and Chops who would give as good as they got off him last time but it could have an adverse effect on the kids.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:37 am

Have to disagree on this one , he is still qualty plus its pre season !

Any suggestions as to who you would bring in for same amount ?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:43 am

100% because it's not coming out of our budget! Great value for money :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:44 am

NIBluebird wrote:Have to disagree on this one , he is still qualty plus its pre season !

Any suggestions as to who you would bring in for same amount ?

Rather spend the money on someone like Thomas Ince I said.

Can resell him or if we got to the prem he still has at least 10 years in him.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:46 am

It is a wierd one

one one hand - i want us playing within our means -on the other we need quality along with depth if we are to do anything this season.

I am hoping that (if) he comes - the peripheral value would be great.
He is a big football draw even though he is welsh.
hopefully his experiences can add to the young raw talent.

I am glad we didnt get keogh cos he was not 100% for cardiff.
Bellamy is - even though most of that percentage is made up of his age and where his family lives.

WE missed quality last season and stil need it for the next season - one man alone aint going to change this though :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:48 am

CP76 wrote:
Bluebird For Life wrote:

I hear what your saying but I dont think hes a great captain. Passion yes but arm throwing throwing and strops at his team mates if things are not perfect is not ideal for the youngster imo.

We had the likes of Jay and Chops who would give as good as they got off him last time but it could have an adverse effect on the kids.

I agree he would need to reign some of his emotion in, and can understand some of the reservations, but I think the majority of the youngsters will love his never say die attitude and learn to be winners from him. I suspect he still trains with us now and then and if its true that the deal is for two years playing and then into the academy/youth set up then I imagine quite a few of the younger players will already be familiar with how he operates. For me, the positives outweigh the negatives.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:54 am

if he was on 20k pw it might be.no sell on.injury prone.this prodigal son stuff is o.t.t.good player and good drive.there is very thin line between passionate and a dummy spitter though.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:01 am

For me personally I would snub Bellers for noone. But on a business level it would be CB39 because he is the figurehead that can amalgamate all parties & boost revenues. :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:26 am

VFM Maybe not, but deffo him coming here will enhance our chance to get out of this division, IMO :old:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:51 am

He's not part of our budget like I said earlier! :old:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:56 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:He's not part of our budget like I said earlier! :old:

Explain that one to me mate?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:26 pm

Got slated for a thread on Bellamy a few weeks back. He didnt look great at all last night. Someone commented on that thread i made saying "bellamy's been top of THE game for over a decade" Wacky backy alert.

If we left bellamy we could get more players like Zaha etc. If it turns out bellamy carries cardiff up, eventually he retires then cardiff could be fucked because they didnt reinforce with young talent.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:56 pm

bleed_blue wrote:Got slated for a thread on Bellamy a few weeks back. He didnt look great at all last night. Someone commented on that thread i made saying "bellamy's been top of THE game for over a decade" Wacky backy alert.

If we left bellamy we could get more players like Zaha etc. If it turns out bellamy carries cardiff up, eventually he retires then cardiff could be fucked because they didnt reinforce with young talent.

I agree. Bellamy is getting no younger and no faster. Of course he says he's in the best shape
ever. He's hardly going to say he's ready for the knackers yard. He did NOT have an excellent
season for Liverpool, that was his first stint there, a few more years back.

Yes he is definitely worth signing. But not at any cost.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:13 pm

as ive been told he is not part of the wage budget (thats why city said we will not pay a transfer fee) As ive been told (i believe it, if you do is a different thing)
that its coming out of VT personally a bit like the last time :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:13 pm

He aint even signing for us! I couldn't care less about all you “in the know" pps who reckon they've had text messages off his dad etc! I'm saying he aint signing for us cos I've had a text off his mum saying so. ENNNNNND OF!!!!!

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:21 pm

Talking crap Polo.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:29 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Talking crap Polo.

I'd say polo cp is spot on! If he does sign then I hope he brings his magic wand with him! because I reckon there's going to be a lot of city supporters who will be ripping up there craig bellamy posters off there bedroom walls if we don't get promotion with him in the team lol

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:28 pm

Im only joking! Nah but we do need to think carefully about this one!

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:33 pm

Not value for money but would be a huge boost.
Should be the number one target.