Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

17 yr old seeking employment opportunity any advice welcome

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi

My son is 17 yrs old and has just left college having completed an art and design course , however he does not wish to return next year

Im aware there are limited opportunities , however he is keen to secure either a Part time or full time job in the Barry / cardiff Area .

He is willing to learn and would welcome an employment opportunity so he can self develop and build his confidence or otherwise some form of apprenticeship .

Any advice would be welcome as we are aware its not an easy task for a young person to secure some employment .

Thanks for any information , Pm me if you can assist in any way

Re: 17 yr old seeking employment opportunity any advice welcome

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:37 pm

get him on my CSCS course on Monday afternoon down Barry and that will open up many avenues in construction for him :ayatollah:

PM me for details :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:50 pm

iaveadream22 wrote:Hi

My son is 17 yrs old and has just left college having completed an art and design course , however he does not wish to return next year

Im aware there are limited opportunities , however he is keen to secure either a Part time or full time job in the Barry / cardiff Area .

He is willing to learn and would welcome an employment opportunity so he can self develop and build his confidence or otherwise some form of apprenticeship .

Any advice would be welcome as we are aware its not an easy task for a young person to secure some employment .

I can't recommend getting an apprenticeship enough.

My son was lucky enough to get an apprenticeship with Cardiff Audi in 2008 and is now a fully qualified service technician, has his driving licence (with car) and is about to do a MOT testers course and he has only just turned 20.

Decide what your son would like to do and basically flood the market with letters, emails and posting on message boards. Believe me if you stick with it something will eventually turn up.

One last tip try and tailor his CV to whoever he is applying to, you have to stick out from the rest ;) :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:43 pm

get him to apply for part time work in retail while he's looking

Customer service, a look into the working world, some responsibility and a few quid in his pocket. But don't let him get bogged down there. Retail is only exciting for a while - when you're pushing for a certain position. It will die out, and if he can get an apprenticeship elsewhere, it'll be best for him, like others have said.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Angry Man wrote:get him on my CSCS course on Monday afternoon down Barry and that will open up many avenues in construction for him :ayatollah:

PM me for details :ayatollah:

many sites 18+ :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:13 pm

I would make an appointment or drop in to see a Careers Adviser at Careers Wales at either Charles Street in Cardiff or Holton Road in Barry, they will go through all of the available options and give ongoing support with searching for apprenticeships and jobs

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:08 pm

get him to literally ask everyone and anyone for an opportunity in the career he chooses i did 2 years in college doin an electrical course but was working part time at Dominos pizza while doing it got too settled there but last autumn i was literally asking everyone and anyone i was writing letters to every electrician in caerphilly area asking for an opportunity Stating i would work for free on a trial basis. in the end i delivered a blokes pizza and saw his van on the drive asked him how i could get experience or get and opportunity with an apprenticeship he said i cant really help you at the moment then i said look mate im just after experience ive got income coming in from dominos so i would be happy to work for FREE just to get some experience in the trade. after i said that he suddenly changed his tune and gave me a card saying phone me next money as i may have a couple of days work you can help me with. I went and worked for him for them few days then did the same the week later. After that i thought that it was the end with him but he phoned me up about 2 weeks later on a saturday saying he had just sacked his previous apprentice and if i wanted a two week trial starting monday so i jumped on it. its rubbish money and i know ive got to put up with that but the experience im getting is worthless. So get ur son to ask everyone for the opportuinty and get him to make sure he is showing he is willing to work for free for a trial as i dont think i would have this job if i didnt offer to work for free as it showed i really wanted to do it.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:35 am

a horse with no name wrote:get him to literally ask everyone and anyone for an opportunity in the career he chooses i did 2 years in college doin an electrical course but was working part time at Dominos pizza while doing it got too settled there but last autumn i was literally asking everyone and anyone i was writing letters to every electrician in caerphilly area asking for an opportunity Stating i would work for free on a trial basis. in the end i delivered a blokes pizza and saw his van on the drive asked him how i could get experience or get and opportunity with an apprenticeship he said i cant really help you at the moment then i said look mate im just after experience ive got income coming in from dominos so i would be happy to work for FREE just to get some experience in the trade. after i said that he suddenly changed his tune and gave me a card saying phone me next money as i may have a couple of days work you can help me with. I went and worked for him for them few days then did the same the week later. After that i thought that it was the end with him but he phoned me up about 2 weeks later on a saturday saying he had just sacked his previous apprentice and if i wanted a two week trial starting monday so i jumped on it. its rubbish money and i know ive got to put up with that but the experience im getting is worthless. So get ur son to ask everyone for the opportuinty and get him to make sure he is showing he is willing to work for free for a trial as i dont think i would have this job if i didnt offer to work for free as it showed i really wanted to do it.

well done .

Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:38 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

My son was lucky enough to get an apprenticeship with Cardiff Audi in 2008 and is now a fully qualified service technician, has his driving licence (with car) and is about to do a MOT testers course and he has only just turned 20.

Decide what your son would like to do and basically flood the market with letters, emails and posting on message boards. Believe me if you stick with it something will eventually turn up.

One last tip try and tailor his CV to whoever he is applying to, you have to stick out from the rest ;) :ayatollah:

your lads done well.there are a few posts on here that smash the myth that all the young kids want to watch jezza kyle.good luck to the lad after work

Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:47 pm

If any manager . or employor is able to offer my son 17yrs old an employment opportunity, I can assure you he will work hard and be willing to learn with a positive attitude as he is keen to secure employment of a basic level, and is willing to learn and take direction ( He lives in Barry but can travel to Cardiff )

Many thanks PM Message me

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

!00% Agree with that an apprenticeship will set him up for life, no machine can replace a spark or plumber. :old:

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:20 pm

Contact BEST to see about apprenticeship oppertunities