Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Open letter to Tan Sri Vincent Tan Chee Yioun

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Keep Cardiff Blue wrote:http://keepcardiffblue.co.uk/wp/?p=107

Dear Tan Sri Vincent Tan,

We, the undersigned, are writing to you as supporters (and customers) of Cardiff City Football Club. We are deeply shocked and unhappy at the news that Cardiff City's traditional team colours and badge are to be changed for the coming season.

Cardiff City adopted blue as its preferred team colour in 1908 and the Club is known throughout football as "the Bluebirds." The decision to play in red next season with a dragon crest is deeply mystifying to many and is unwelcome to all but a few Cardiff City supporters.

To some of us, Cardiff City will feel so fundamentally different in its re-branded form, to the Club we have loved and supported for many years, that we have asked the Club to cancel our season tickets or will refuse to buy a new one. Many others will continue to attend matches but will actively protest against the changes in lawful and respectful ways, for example by refusing to buy any merchandise from the Club.

We want to make it clear that we very much appreciate the investment that you and your compatriots have made in Cardiff City. We know that without your involvement the Club would have struggled to continue, let alone enjoy the level of success we have seen in recent seasons. We welcome your continuing involvement and your desire to make the club even stronger and more successful in the future. Whilst recognising that your investment in the Club entitles you to make commercial decisions and set strategies, as loyal Cardiff City supporters, we want you to understand the depth of feeling that has been generated by the re-branding issue.

We completely disassociate ourselves from the small number of people who reacted to your plans with disrespect and insults. We want to assure you that the overwhelming majority of Cardiff City supporters bear you no ill-will, though they feel strongly that the Club's identity and traditions should remain.

We want you to know that the abandonment of Cardiff City's traditional, historical identity feels like an insult to many loyal supporters of the Club. We feel sure that no disrespect was intended but the fact remains that news of the total re-branding of a community-based football Club has been greeted with disdain, not just in South Wales or the UK but around the world.

What you have done is not just unacceptable to many Cardiff City fans. Meddling with a local club's one hundred plus years-old traditions for marketing purposes is viewed by football supporters throughout the world as the unacceptable face of modern football. To many, Cardiff City has become a laughing stock and the name is now synonymous with all of modern football's ills.

We urge you to reconsider the direction the Club is taking and to restore Cardiff City's traditional identity and colours. In doing so, you will restore your own reputation and that of our football Club.

Keep Cardiff Blue

OK buddy I'm a pro re-branding because I want Cardiff City to thrive but I am also one of those who are deeply saddened by the loss of the Blue shirt. I have said many times that I have no problem with peaceful and respectful lobbying to bring our proper colours back whilst we allow VT to get on with his vision.

The above letter is exactly that kind of lobbying I would like to see. On its own it will make little difference but over the years it will add to the accumulative chipping away affect which will eventually bring back the Blue shirt.

However, I think you should take on board some of the criticisms about what is in the body of the letter. I don't want to knock your efforts because I admire your get up and go and we need people like you, but contents of the letter could have been much more concise and more to the point.

Basically you waffled on a little too much.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:49 pm

I've yet to read a letter with 400 signatories supporting the Tanbrand !

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:04 pm

Thing is it's only this messageboard where I find such anti-rebranding. Nearly everyone I actually speak with, although would never choose to change, are prepared to go with it and see where it takes us. And I've spoke with loads before you ask!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Did i miss the part where it says "take your £100m and shove it up your arse" ? :roll: we will be happy playing konica league (or whatever it is called now ) football. :roll:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:02 pm

ayahtolla wrote:Did i miss the part where it says "take your £100m and shove it up your arse" ? :roll: we will be happy playing konica league (or whatever it is called now ) football. :roll:

Its bit arsey stating that we want your money but you got to go our way

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:05 pm

caerdydd 78 - you state the English and grammar is poor yet you typed

"Grammar and English is poor. Anyway Dazza said your a fraud!!! jog on"

No full stop, started a sentence with anyway, used a treble exclamation mark and no capital letter on jog.

If your going to criticise..... :lol:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Boring stuff, you don't speak for me or the majority, move on will you

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:24 pm

Fantastic letter. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:16 pm

It was very respectable letter and its very fair.
I do feel like you was speaking for more fans than involved.
Your supporting your beliefs and cant fault that but I dont think it will change. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:41 pm

Great letter. Got my total support.
Give me the club I love back.
KEEP CARDIFF BLUE!!

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:55 am

Im sorry but your group dont speak on behalf of myself and i dont think a minority is going to make a difference,because thats all you are

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:08 am

CjBluebird17 wrote:
ayahtolla wrote:Did i miss the part where it says "take your £100m and shove it up your arse" ? :roll: we will be happy playing konica league (or whatever it is called now ) football. :roll:

Its bit arsey stating that we want your money but you got to go our way

I Think you are missing my point, without VT, we would not exist, so i dont know why the letter is even being sent, simples :roll:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:46 am

Seen it all before.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:48 am

Bluemonkey wrote:Im sorry but your group dont speak on behalf of myself and i dont think a minority is going to make a difference,because thats all you are

The point of the letter pretty much sums up the feelings of the MAJORITY. IE. happy with the investment BUT unhappy with the colour and badge change...is that too difficult to comprehend?

What you're saying effectively is that you ARE happy with Cardiff City playing in Red and the bluebird falling from prominance on the badge and eventually being dropped.. and if that is the case then you are a sellout

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:38 am

I'm getting fed up of this crap - We are playing in red accept it

If you want to play in blue - Buy the club :lol:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:39 am

BracklaBlue72 wrote:
Bluemonkey wrote:Im sorry but your group dont speak on behalf of myself and i dont think a minority is going to make a difference,because thats all you are

The point of the letter pretty much sums up the feelings of the MAJORITY. IE. happy with the investment BUT unhappy with the colour and badge change...is that too difficult to comprehend?

What you're saying effectively is that you ARE happy with Cardiff City playing in Red and the bluebird falling from prominance on the badge and eventually being dropped.. and if that is the case then you are a sellout

Assumptions.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:53 am

BracklaBlue72 wrote:

Being a fan and following them around the country for nearly 30 years i think i have a right to say that i want the club to move forward with the times.If this means playing in red so be it,im the same as everyone else when it comes to the badge though,so if this makes me a sellout theres thousands of fellow city followers who are sellouts around the globe.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:55 am

You have no right to write a letter on behalf of the supporters.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:54 am

CraigMc wrote:You have no right to write a letter on behalf of the supporters.

He has every right to write the letter especially as the letter represents the views of the Keep Cardiff Blue campaign.
Also members of the campaign were democratically contacted by e mail and informed that the letter was going to be sent with the option of not having their signature added if they disagreed with it. Its just a shame that the club and Tan did not offer such an option to the fans rather than forcing us into accepting Tan's red vision. :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:21 pm

Bluemonkey wrote:
BracklaBlue72 wrote:

Being a fan and following them around the country for nearly 30 years i think i have a right to say that i want the club to move forward with the times.If this means playing in red so be it,im the same as everyone else when it comes to the badge though,so if this makes me a sellout theres thousands of fellow city followers who are sellouts around the globe.

Then carry on doing what you're doing, accepting the change of identity, buying the new red kit and not asking any questions about why this is all happening. But while you state "I think I have a right to say that I want the club to move forward with the times..", others have a right to ask questions about why the fk are we changing identity when Alan Whitely stated that the investment was NEVER dependent on the rebranding!

How some people can just accept this situation for the promise of an alleged £100m, whilst assuming that we'll somehow miraculously end up playing in blue again somehow, someday, is beyond me. Surely if we have aspirations of playing in blue again one day we have to show our dislike for the colour change now?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:10 pm

welshie wrote:My niece who is 7 could have put together a better letter than that. Oh and you certainly don't speak for the "majority" of fans, so please stop saying this as this is not the first time you have said this.

Your niece is very bright for a 7 year old :shock:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Dullards. Speculative, fictional points, assumptions, boring, cleans, ass, flushes, away.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:05 pm

The Douce wrote:Dullards. Speculative, fictional points, assumptions, boring, cleans, ass, flushes, away.
Dullard bit harsh plastic red now that,s harsh