Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Open letter to Tan Sri Vincent Tan Chee Yioun

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:17 am

http://keepcardiffblue.co.uk/wp/?p=107

Dear Tan Sri Vincent Tan,

We, the undersigned, are writing to you as supporters (and customers) of Cardiff City Football Club. We are deeply shocked and unhappy at the news that Cardiff City's traditional team colours and badge are to be changed for the coming season.

Cardiff City adopted blue as its preferred team colour in 1908 and the Club is known throughout football as "the Bluebirds." The decision to play in red next season with a dragon crest is deeply mystifying to many and is unwelcome to all but a few Cardiff City supporters.

To some of us, Cardiff City will feel so fundamentally different in its re-branded form, to the Club we have loved and supported for many years, that we have asked the Club to cancel our season tickets or will refuse to buy a new one. Many others will continue to attend matches but will actively protest against the changes in lawful and respectful ways, for example by refusing to buy any merchandise from the Club.

We want to make it clear that we very much appreciate the investment that you and your compatriots have made in Cardiff City. We know that without your involvement the Club would have struggled to continue, let alone enjoy the level of success we have seen in recent seasons. We welcome your continuing involvement and your desire to make the club even stronger and more successful in the future. Whilst recognising that your investment in the Club entitles you to make commercial decisions and set strategies, as loyal Cardiff City supporters, we want you to understand the depth of feeling that has been generated by the re-branding issue.

We completely disassociate ourselves from the small number of people who reacted to your plans with disrespect and insults. We want to assure you that the overwhelming majority of Cardiff City supporters bear you no ill-will, though they feel strongly that the Club's identity and traditions should remain.

We want you to know that the abandonment of Cardiff City's traditional, historical identity feels like an insult to many loyal supporters of the Club. We feel sure that no disrespect was intended but the fact remains that news of the total re-branding of a community-based football Club has been greeted with disdain, not just in South Wales or the UK but around the world.

What you have done is not just unacceptable to many Cardiff City fans. Meddling with a local club's one hundred plus years-old traditions for marketing purposes is viewed by football supporters throughout the world as the unacceptable face of modern football. To many, Cardiff City has become a laughing stock and the name is now synonymous with all of modern football's ills.

We urge you to reconsider the direction the Club is taking and to restore Cardiff City's traditional identity and colours. In doing so, you will restore your own reputation and that of our football Club.

Keep Cardiff Blue

Re: Open letter to Tan Sri Vincent Tan Chee Yioun

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:23 am

Back and forth... Back and forth...

One of the worst constructed letters I have ever seen.

All you have done is contradict yourself throughout.

Saying one minute you have "cancelled season tickets" and the next "we hope for your continued involvement".

Things like "We know that without your involvement the Club would have struggled to continue, let alone enjoy the level of success we have seen in recent seasons" and then saying "What you have done is not just unacceptable to many Cardiff City fans. Meddling with a local club's one hundred plus years-old traditions for marketing purposes"

You need to be a lot stronger if you are going to get anywhere!

He has already stated his continued involvement will coincide with the re-branding, otherwise he would "seek investment from other sources". In other words, sell up.

I would go back to the drawing board if I were you... Sorry. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:24 am

Very good letter and put exactly how it should be with no insults.
Well done

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:27 am

droopy wrote:Back and forth... Back and forth...

Saying one minute you have "cancelled season tickets" and the next "we hope for your continued involvement".

Things like "We know that without your involvement the Club would have struggled to continue, let alone enjoy the level of success we have seen in recent seasons" and then saying "What you have done is not just unacceptable to many Cardiff City fans. Meddling with a local club's one hundred plus years-old traditions for marketing purposes"

He has already stated his continued involvement will coincide with the re-branding, otherwise he would "seek investment from other sources". In other words, sell up.

I'm sorry but the letter is telling the facts on both accounts, I can't see any contradiction there to be honest.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:29 am

tenerife_blu wrote:
droopy wrote:Back and forth... Back and forth...

I'm sorry but the letter is telling the facts on both accounts, I can't see any contradiction there to be honest.

Try reading it again... :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:36 am

Keep Cardiff Blue wrote:http://keepcardiffblue.co.uk/wp/?p=107

We, the undersigned, are writing to you as supporters (and customers) of Cardiff City Football Club. We are deeply shocked and unhappy at the news that Cardiff City's traditional team colours and badge are to be changed for the coming season.

Cardiff City adopted blue as its preferred team colour in 1908 and the Club is known throughout football as "the Bluebirds." The decision to play in red next season with a dragon crest is deeply mystifying to many and is unwelcome to all but a few Cardiff City supporters.

To some of us, Cardiff City will feel so fundamentally different in its re-branded form, to the Club we have loved and supported for many years, that we have asked the Club to cancel our season tickets or will refuse to buy a new one. Many others will continue to attend matches but will actively protest against the changes in lawful and respectful ways, for example by refusing to buy any merchandise from the Club.

We want to make it clear that we very much appreciate the investment that you and your compatriots have made in Cardiff City. We know that without your involvement the Club would have struggled to continue, let alone enjoy the level of success we have seen in recent seasons. We welcome your continuing involvement and your desire to make the club even stronger and more successful in the future. Whilst recognising that your investment in the Club entitles you to make commercial decisions and set strategies, as loyal Cardiff City supporters, we want you to understand the depth of feeling that has been generated by the re-branding issue.

We completely disassociate ourselves from the small number of people who reacted to your plans with disrespect and insults. We want to assure you that the overwhelming majority of Cardiff City supporters bear you no ill-will, though they feel strongly that the Club's identity and traditions should remain.

We want you to know that the abandonment of Cardiff City's traditional, historical identity feels like an insult to many loyal supporters of the Club. We feel sure that no disrespect was intended but the fact remains that news of the total re-branding of a community-based football Club has been greeted with disdain, not just in South Wales or the UK but around the world.

What you have done is not just unacceptable to many Cardiff City fans. Meddling with a local club's one hundred plus years-old traditions for marketing purposes is viewed by football supporters throughout the world as the unacceptable face of modern football. To many, Cardiff City has become a laughing stock and the name is now synonymous with all of modern football's ills.

We urge you to reconsider the direction the Club is taking and to restore Cardiff City's traditional identity and colours. In doing so, you will restore your own reputation and that of our football Club.

Keep Cardiff Blue

Time to move on.

Stuck record stuff now.

Huddersfield in precisely 4 weeks - bring it on because we need to move on from this continuous nonsense.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:38 am

Droopy I have read it 3 times fella, the fans that wanted their season ticket money back, (I'm not one of them by the way), were showing their anger at the rebranding, but we all want VT to carry on with the investment for the sake of the club, I can't see any contradiction in that. I do not like the rebranding one bit but I will still give my support to Cardiff City and never turn my back on the club I love but that's my preference and every fan has different opinions. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:38 am

Keep Cardiff Blue

How many signatures will you get?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:45 am

The decision to play in red next season with a dragon crest is deeply mystifying to many and is unwelcome to all but a few Cardiff City supporters.

Totally untrue and massively speculative! You do not speak for me and I can tell you now that the people that see the sense in the re-brand are more than a "few" fans. Agree that it's poorly constructed and if you get a reply I'll be a amazed! More likely to be used as toilet paper

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:48 am

tenerife_blu wrote:Droopy I have read it 3 times fella, the fans that wanted their season ticket money back, (I'm not one of them by the way), were showing their anger at the rebranding, but we all want VT to carry on with the investment for the sake of the club, I can't see any contradiction in that. I do not like the rebranding one bit but I will still give my support to Cardiff City and never turn my back on the club I love but that's my preference and every fan has different opinions. :ayatollah:

Right ok...

They said they are "supporters (and customers)" then said "we have asked the Club to cancel our season tickets or will refuse to buy a new one".

Many others will continue to attend matches but will actively protest against the changes – Where has this come from? From a forum with very few season ticket holders?

They said "We welcome your continuing involvement" then said "What you have done is not just unacceptable"

Viewed by football supporters throughout the world as the unacceptable face of modern football. – How many have you spoken to then?

They said "What you have done is not just unacceptable to many Cardiff City fans" – Tarring us all with the same brush. I do not want to associate myself (as a season ticket holder) with your “Group”.

To many, Cardiff City has become a laughing stock and the name is now synonymous with all of modern football's ills – Again how do you know this? From speaking to a few Swansea fans?

The said "We urge you to reconsider the direction the Club is taking and to restore Cardiff City's traditional identity and colours. In doing so, you will restore your own reputation and that of our football Club" – Why should a multi-billionaire business man listen to someone who has put a little group together to oppose a re-branding which could see us a dominant force in world football (in years to come).

Happy now Tenerife_blu? :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:49 am

Bluebird99 wrote:

The decision to play in red next season with a dragon crest is deeply mystifying to many and is unwelcome to all but a few Cardiff City supporters.

Totally untrue and massively speculative! You do not speak for me and I can tell you now that the people that see the sense in the re-brand are more than a "few" fans. Agree that it's poorly constructed and if you get a reply I'll be a amazed! More likely to be used as toilet paper

Amen, finally someone who can read :D :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:53 am

Keep Cardiff Blue

Grammar and English is poor.

Anyway Dazza said your a fraud!!! jog on

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:56 am

Good letter, :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:57 am

Droopy, firstly can I just confirm that it's NOT my group and secondly I do respect everyone's belief and stance on the rebranding whether blue or red, like I said, I would never turn my back on Cardiff City unless they ever change the club name.
Yes I am very happy Droopy, how about you? :D

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:02 am

tenerife_blu wrote:Droopy, firstly can I just confirm that it's NOT my group and secondly I do respect everyone's belief and stance on the rebranding whether blue or red, like I said, I would never turn my back on Cardiff City unless they ever change the club name.

I'm very happy :D Thanks for asking!

You claimed there was "no contradiction there" and that the letter is "telling facts on both accounts". Neither statement is true mate. I'm sorry but if you are going to fill this guys head with the illusions that this letter is going to be looked at then you might aswell join the group, because you are just as deluded as him. :lol:

I also respect everyone's opinions, however, when you are throwing "facts" at me like those above (that are well wide of the mark) then I have to call you on it. It's nothing personal. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:04 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -31435724/

here's a link to a Wales on line story about your letter.

I must say judging by the number of signitures it only represents a very small minority of fans and yet you give the impression in your letter that it speaks for thousands.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:06 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/football-news/2012/07/20/91466-31435724/

here's a link to a Wales on line story about your letter.

I must say judging by the number of signitures it only represents a very small minority of fans and yet you give the impression in your letter that it speaks for thousands.

Exactly :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:16 am

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: CCFC

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:32 am

Great letter and fantastic to see. Keep up the good work, :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:35 am

Ive made my feeling clear about the rebranding, I know even the Pro's aka Big Gwyn would ideally love to carry on playing in blue despite what they say but its done and nothing is going to change the situation this season so may as well just get on with it for now.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:36 am

droopy wrote:
tenerife_blu wrote:Droopy, firstly can I just confirm that it's NOT my group and secondly I do respect everyone's belief and stance on the rebranding whether blue or red, like I said, I would never turn my back on Cardiff City unless they ever change the club name.

I'm very happy :D Thanks for asking!

You claimed there was "no contradiction there" and that the letter is "telling facts on both accounts". Neither statement is true mate. I'm sorry but if you are going to fill this guys head with the illusions that this letter is going to be looked at then you might aswell join the group, because you are just as deluded as him. :lol:

I also respect everyone's opinions, however, when you are throwing "facts" at me like those above (that are well wide of the mark) then I have to call you on it. It's nothing personal. :ayatollah:

Sam changed the club name.

We were Cardiff City AFC

Sham changed it to Cardiff City FC.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:51 am

My niece who is 7 could have put together a better letter than that. Oh and you certainly don't speak for the "majority" of fans, so please stop saying this as this is not the first time you have said this.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:21 pm

God you must really be talking for the majority when only 70 people cancelled their season tickets

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Was glad when the AFC became FC. There was never any need for 'association'. We know what a football club is. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm going to admit that I didn't read the letter. There is no point because it just the same old shit just a different day.

Going over this old ground, while your passion and perseverance are admirable, is boring and with only 400 signatures 'from around the world' your letter is pretty much pointless.

Just think - the time and energy taken to compose this letter and worrying about this could have been used to get behind your club and look forward to the future with Cardiff City FC and what adventures await.

Nobody wants to see us play in red but it's ill concieved to think that you and 399 others can change anything.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:25 pm

robinsonisgod7 wrote:Nobody wants to see us play in red

That's pretty much the point.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Robbiwee wrote:
robinsonisgod7 wrote:Nobody wants to see us play in red

That's pretty much the point.

It's the basic point but it doesn't VT know that? The answer is yes. So why bother making some letter that is going straight in the shredder?!

Waste of time and energy that could be spent doing something more constructive.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:38 pm

robinsonisgod7 wrote:It's the basic point but it doesn't VT know that? The answer is yes.

I don't know what's in VT's head, neither do you. Personally I wouldn't bet much on the answer being 'yes', I doubt he's very in touch with how the fans feel.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:48 pm

Robbiwee wrote:
robinsonisgod7 wrote:It's the basic point but it doesn't VT know that? The answer is yes.

I don't know what's in VT's head, neither do you. Personally I wouldn't bet much on the answer being 'yes', I doubt he's very in touch with how the fans feel.

I think after the things that were said about dictatorship and flag burning he gets the hint.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:02 pm

If that letter was to make ant difference, it's way to late. Well written tho.

Looking forward to the start of the season Red or Blue! :ayatollah: