Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

ANOTHER REASON WHY KEOGH CHOSE DERBY?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:24 am

Richard Keogh joins Derby County from Coventry City

Derby County have signed Coventry City centre-half Richard Keogh for a fee believed to be in excess of £1m.

The 25-year-old has signed a three-year contract and the deal also sees Rams striker Callum Ball move to Coventry on a season-long loan.

Keogh is a replacement for Jason Shackell, whose sale to Burnley provoked an angry response from fans.

Derby manager Nigel Clough said Keogh was an "important signing" and will captain the side this season.

Skipper Shaun Barker will miss the entire season with a knee injury.

Clough added: "We've done our homework on him for a long period of time.

"Everyone knows we have been looking to strengthen the central defensive area of the team and we believe Richard fits the bill in every respect, so we're delighted to get one of our top targets on board.

"Despite Coventry's relegation last season, he was a commanding presence at the heart of their defence and he has both very good leadership qualities and the right sort of attitude to fit into our squad."

Keogh, City's captain last season, is mainly a centre-half but can also play at full-back and was also being chased by Cardiff City, Leeds United and Bristol City.

The fee is believed to the biggest Derby have paid out in three years and eclipses the amount paid for both Barker and Shackell.

Keogh joined the Sky Blues in June 2010 and played 95 games in two seasons.

He is Derby's third summer signing following the capture of Michael Jacobs and Paul Coutts.

Re: ANOTHER REASON WHY KEOGH CHOSE DERBY?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:33 am

Also the small matter of 12k a week, which would be a lot for a reserve. And he doesn't have to move. Good move for him to captain Derby instead of sitting on the bench here

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:42 am

Have we really got money?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:45 am

keano wrote:Have we really got money?

2m for Mutch, 2m for that striker

im sure we have :lol:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:47 am

96m left then

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:06 am

keano wrote:96m left then

:roll: Please tell me you are not stupid enough to believe that £100 million was all for transfers. :lol:

Please tell me what you said was tounge in cheek :lol:

If you are joking... Stop being a tw*t! :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:40 am

I said it before, I don't see why we are trying to signing a defender. Yes McNaughton didn't have his best season but we all know he is a very strong player at right back. I can't see Keogh taking Turners or Hudsons place, Them 2 were solid last season and will only get better this coming season, Taylor is also a really solid defender at this level.

We have Keinen, Blake and Quinn who can cover anywhere at the back.

I just think 1m+ would be a waste of money. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:04 am

Kanester wrote:I said it before, I don't see why we are trying to signing a defender. Yes McNaughton didn't have his best season but we all know he is a very strong player at right back. I can't see Keogh taking Turners or Hudsons place, Them 2 were solid last season and will only get better this coming season, Taylor is also a really solid defender at this level.

We have Keinen, Blake and Quinn who can cover anywhere at the back.

I just think 1m+ would be a waste of money. :ayatollah:

Malky has made it clear that Dekel isn't in his plans along with Gerrard and I think you'll find that Quinn's contract has run out!

I don't believe that Malky was looking to bring in Keogh as a reserve and whilst I think he would have provided good cover in a couple of very important positions, I applaud the club for not paying stupid money for him!

Next target please! :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:07 am

droopy wrote:

:roll: Please tell me you are not stupid enough to believe that £100 million was all for transfers. :lol:

Please tell me what you said was tounge in cheek :lol:

If you are joking... Stop being a tw*t! :ayatollah:

I cant believe people are still quetioning if we really have the money

Kim 2.4million
Mutch 2million
Bellamy?? Wages what he will be on
Slovenia player who im not going to try an spell his name was another 2million wasn't he?

We have got rid of 1 first teamer who was unlikely to be that this season in Miller we have strengthened loads already an we have only just started we will sign another 2/3 players permanent and then get some quality loans in.

The fact we are rejecting bids for players aswell is just showing we are not a selling club anymore

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Malky got a £13m war chest so;

2.4+2+2=6.4

13-6.4= 7.6

Malky has £7.6m left

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:38 pm

:lol: :lol: you for real mate :lol: :lol:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:13 pm

Keano you drunk or serious? :lol: