Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Anybody owned a MG ZR?

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:04 pm

Looking at an MG ZR 2005 model, slightly different to the first one.

Just wondering if anyone knows much about them? are they worth the buy?

Thanks!

Re: Anybody owned a MG ZR?

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:08 pm

Ive always wanted one BUT they are famous for the head gasket problem, apparently the 2005 model onwards has fixed the problem but im not sure, they are nice looking cars imo but always been put off by the problems mg's are famed for having, my mothers friend had an mg (sports car version) and she had so many problems with it she said it was the biggest regret of her life, but do some research on MG forums and if you find one thats been looked after you might be ok :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:08 pm

check for water leaks and engine compression..........they are prone to blown gaskets.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:12 pm

I had one and its was crap.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Cheers lads, yeah my friend has had trouble after trouble with his, lovely cars though.

Any others Cars anyone can recommend?

Oh and cheap insurers, been driving a year. :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:20 pm

dont bother 'Made in Britain' i had a MGF total f*cking crap, buy a german car at least you know you can get home alive from going to the shops :lol:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:21 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:dont bother 'Made in Britain' i had a MGF total f*cking crap, buy a german car at least you know you can get home alive from going to the shops :lol:

Fully agree Baz, German car and Chinese phones is the way forward!!! ;) :lol:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:22 pm

Im in the same boat mate, passed my test in november and im insured with co-op smartbox, they add a box to your car an monitor is you speed and what not and if youre good it goes down and if youre shit it goes up, but im shit and it went down so its defo worth a look, just cant speed, and driving after 11 pm youre allowed to but your meter goes down an if it goes down too far it changes the premium, can get anoying but for 100 pound a month you cant go wrong, also on the car front look for the insurance groups, they are a big difference and try if you can to buy a car thats not too old the newer you can is the better, and obviously just shop around for insurance on different cars before you buy, autotrader and gumtree are the best, i also suggest buying from a forecourts if you can, with private you dont really know whats gone on with the car but with traders they are a little more weary of the comebacks if they sell yoi a dodgey car imo and obviously try not to get a high engine size, i wouldnt go over a 1.2 this early in driving otherwise the insurance will kill you! Good luck hope i helped a little :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:25 pm

Angry Man wrote:
bluebirdbaz wrote:dont bother 'Made in Britain' i had a MGF total f*cking crap, buy a german car at least you know you can get home alive from going to the shops :lol:

Fully agree Baz, German car and Chinese phones is the way forward!!! ;) :lol:
the self destruct button went off on my MG 1 hour after purchase, best thing that happened was them going bust

Re: Anybody owned a LDV Van

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:26 pm

LDV vans have got to be the worst transport ever invented my man, total shit even worster than MG :D

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:28 pm

I also had a LDV van in my time :lol:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:55 pm

BluebirdJM wrote:Ive always wanted one BUT they are famous for the head gasket problem, apparently the 2005 model onwards has fixed the problem but im not sure, they are nice looking cars imo but always been put off by the problems mg's are famed for having, my mothers friend had an mg (sports car version) and she had so many problems with it she said it was the biggest regret of her life, but do some research on MG forums and if you find one thats been looked after you might be ok :ayatollah:

I thought it was the MG TF that had head problems, not the ZR

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:16 pm

zr doesnt use the same engine as the tf apart from the 1.8 160 bhp model...

ive had a zr and a zs which was the 180 model 2.5v6 the engine was superb, but on todays fuel prices a tad expensive to run..

my brother in law as got the mg zs 2005 model which is also a facelift and has the 1.6 110bhp model which is better than the 1.8 120 bhp model and he has the full zs bodykit, looks nice..

best motor i have had though for prob free running and nice looking was a civic type r. 55plate very last of that model before they changed to the horrid new shape.. you can pick them up quite reasonable now.. to keep insurance prices lower you could get a type s which is a 1.6 version but has a similar kit on it..

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Angry Man wrote:I also had a LDV van in my time :lol:
i never owned one but had the misfortune of driving a brand new one to Belgium and back, it was atrocious to say the least like driving a GAMBO!!!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:01 pm

Never would I drive an MG ZR. All I drive is a Focus. :roll:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:46 pm

The missus had a 2005 55 plate. 1.4. 105 bhp. It was nippy but was a pile of shit when it came to build quality.
STAY WELL AWAY.