Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Derby land Richard Keogh

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Very f**king ambitious! http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0 ... 95,00.html :evil: :evil:

Derby County have strengthened their defensive rearguard with the signing of influential Coventry City central defender Richard Keogh for an undisclosed fee.

The 25-year-old, who wore the captain's armband at the Ricoh Arena, has put pen-to-paper on a three-year deal with the Rams after the Sky Blues accepted Derby's bid for the player earlier in the week.

Keogh was Coventry's Player of the Year in each of his two seasons in the West Midlands, and he also saw his performances recognised by his peers after he picked up their Players' Player of the Year Award at the end of last season. He also collected similar accolades during his impressive spells with Bristol City and Carlisle United.

Derby have had to face stiff competition to land his services, as a number of other Championship sides have been vying for his signature throughout the summer.

However, Clough's persistence in his summer-long pursuit of the commanding centre-back has paid off and he has persuaded Keogh to become Derby's third summer signing following the recent arrivals of Michael Jacobs from Northampton Town and Paul Coutts from Preston North End.

Clough has also confirmed that Keogh will wear the captain's armband in the absense of Shaun Barker, who will miss the entire 2012-13 season with a serious knee injury.

Clough said: "Everyone knows we have been looking to strengthen the central defensive area of the team and we believe Richard fits the bill in every respect, so we're delighted to get one of our top targets on board.

"Despite Coventry's relegation last season, he was a commanding presence at the heart of their defence and he has both very good leadership qualities and the right sort of attitude to fit into our squad.

"We've done our homework on him for a long period of time and we believe this an important signing for us.

"The work we've done this summer in the transfer market has allowed us to strengthen the squad as a whole and we'll continue to build in the same way moving forwards.

"I am delighted that he has decided to join us and gives us great options alongside Jake Buxton, Mark O'Brien and Tom Naylor in the central defensive position."

The former Republic of Ireland under-21 international began his career as a schoolboy with Ipswich Town before moving on to Stoke City's youth set-up, where he was loaned out to Icelandic side Vikingur to gain first-team experience whilst still a teenager.

Although Keogh was released by the Potters without making a single first-team appearance, he soon linked up with Bristol City on a free transfer for the beginning of the 2005-06 campaign.

A quartet of loan moves followed, as Keogh enjoyed temporary spells with Wycombe Wanderers, Huddersfield Town, Carlisle United and Cheltenham Town, as well as making 40 league appearances during three seasons at Ashton Gate.

During the 2006-07 season Keogh was handed the Republic of Ireland under-21 captain's armband, as well as being voted Bristol City's Young Player of the Year.

In August 2008, Keogh joined Carlisle United for an undisclosed fee and went on to make 73 appearances, where he quickly became a fans' favourite.

In his final season with the Cumbrians, Keogh won the 2009-10 Carlisle United Player of the Year Award and his impressive displays for the League 1 outfit attracted the interest of Coventry.

Keogh signed a three-year deal with the Sky Blues in June 2010 after his contract with Carlisle had expired, and because he was under the age of 24 at the time, an undisclosed compensation fee was paid for his services.

He played in every minute of every game during the 2010-11 campaign; scoring his first and only goal for the Sky Blues on the final game of the season against Norwich City, before being voted as their Player of the Year.

Last season, despite Coventry's relegation from the Championship, Keogh's performances did not go unnoticed as he walked away with the Player of the Year and Players' Player of The Year awards - racking up 91 consecutive appearances in the process.
Last edited by rhys1927ccfc on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Derby land top target Keogh

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Keogh seals Derby move http://www.ccfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0 ... 01,00.html

Coventry City defender Richard Keogh has joined Derby County for an undisclosed fee.

City offered Keogh a new deal to extend his contract with the club but the defender, who had just a year left on his present contract, wanted to play in the Championship next season.

Several clubs showed interest in the former Carlisle and Bristol City defender but the offer from Derby was best for all parties.

Development director Steve Waggott said: "Richard goes to Derby with best wishes from everyone at Coventry City.

"Like every supporter, we wanted him to stay here and have been discussing a new contract with him for a few months now.

"We really pushed the boat out in terms of our offer because he has been such a fantastic player for the club over the past two years but we do not begrudge the fact that he wants to play in the Championship next season.

"Everything has been done amicably and we have all been 100 per cent honest about where we stand and as soon as it became clear that Richard wanted to go, we had to ensure that we got the best possible deal for the club because we couldn't risk him leaving for nothing next year.

"We believe this deal with Derby is the right one for Coventry City."

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Up pops cilla black with the old saying seems we have had it so many times over the last 12months :roll:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:25 pm

In my opinion it shows lack of ambition. Derby have been very average over the last 2-3 seasons whilst we have been challenging for promotion for the past 4 seasons. He's seen his former team mates Aron Gunnarsson and Ben Turner join us and look how well they've done here. He chose more money for an average side rather than less money but the chance to actually succeed in something. Glad we haven't signed him.

Re: Derby land Richard Keogh

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:30 pm

Not upset or gutted...
But I am f*cking annoyed!!!!!

Why aren't we strengthening ?
Need depth!!!!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:32 pm

aj1927 wrote:Not upset or gutted...

Need depth!!!!

So your willing to pay over the top for a player who didnt really want to be here? Malky will look elsewhere

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:32 pm

Well Derby get 1 day to talk to the player and he signs all this after we have be chasing the player for weeks. :?

I really don't think this is down to Keogh or his agent as Derby were the first club to make an offer that Coventry were prepared to accept.

The club need to be honest here and not talk about his agent trying to up our offer as the facts here are simple we never had permission to speak to this player because we never made a bid which was acceptable to Coventry.

Serious question marks are raised by this in my opinon.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:34 pm

arghhh!!

castleblue wrote:Well Derby get 1 day to talk to the player and he signs all this after we have be chasing the player for weeks. :?

I really don't think this is down to Keogh or his agent as Derby were the first club to make an offer that Coventry were prepared to accept.

The club need to be honest here and not talk about his agent trying to up our offer as the facts here are simple we never had permission to speak to this player because we never made a bid which was acceptable to Coventry.

Agreed castelblue, you know whats going on unlike most on here. :ayatollah:

castleblue wrote:Well Derby get 1 day to talk to the player and he signs all this after we have be chasing the player for weeks. :?

The thing is he was going to be a squad player in reality so I doubt Malky wanted to overspend on him whilst derby will use him as a 1st team player

Quite annoyed that he cancelled his medical and joined Derby.

Need depth!!!!

Its July FFS and we already got 3 more from last year.... why don't people sit and bloody wait.

it pisses me off.!!!! :evil: :evil:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:36 pm

caerdydd_78 wrote:

Need depth!!!!

Its July FFS and we already got 3 more from last year.... why don't people sit and bloody wait.

Three more to replace the 7-8 who have left or due to leave in total, great promotion push with all this so called millions in the pot for a red shirt huh, we will have less players than last season come next month :oops:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:38 pm

BLUESBLUES wrote:
caerdydd_78 wrote:

Need depth!!!!

Three more to replace the 7-8 who have left or due to leave in total, great promotion push with all this so called millions in the pot for a red shirt huh, we will have less players than last season come next month :oops:

Gerrard and Keinan havent left yet and I highly doubt they will if Malky fails to bring in cover. Its not the end of the world because we didnt sign a money grabbing bench player

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:39 pm

BLUESBLUES wrote:
caerdydd_78 wrote:

Need depth!!!!

Three more to replace the 7-8 who will leave in total, great promotion push with all this so called millions in the pot for a red shirt huh, we will have less players than last season come next month :oops:

See its crap.

7-8 players who are leaving..... name them.... apart from 3 none of them featured last year. if we replace the so called 7 with 7 quality players, we would have chaos as you cannot sign quality players without offering them a starting place.

"Hello Mr Bellamy, im offering you a 3 year deal at £35k a week, however you train with the first team and sit on the bench"....

Patience, that's all I ask, It aint about red/blue so don't start that bollox.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:41 pm

I will understand the frustration on loosing Keogh.. he booked a medical with us then cancelled.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:45 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Quite annoyed that he cancelled his medical and joined Derby.

There never was any medical booked because Coventry NEVER gave us permission to talk to the player.

Smoke and Mirrors here pure and simple. As I see this his agent rang the club today and said Derby have made an offer which is acceptable to the player if you really are interested you had better get on and make an offer to Coventry that is acceptable to them. We didn't and the club leak information saying the player was looking for more money. As I say smoke and mirrors.

With the budget MM has alledgedly at his disposal, and he said he was massively impressed by it, we should be looking at our main targets.

We've been outbid by Derby for one of our main targets. How does that work. :?

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Im passing what I got told and behind the scenes you never know. :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:48 pm

castleblue wrote:

There never was any medical booked because Coventry NEVER gave us permission to talk to the player.

Smoke and Mirrors here pure and simple. As I see this his agent rang the club today and said Derby have made an offer which is acceptable to the player if you really are interested you had better get on and make an offer to Coventry that is acceptable to them. We didn't and the club leak information saying the player was looking for more money. As I say smoke and mirrors.

With the budget MM has alledgedly at his disposal, and he said he was massively impressed by it, we should be looking at our main targets.

I thought that aswell. :lol:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Of course because you know what happens behind the scenes :roll:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:49 pm

castleblue wrote:

Because we didnt agree with the valuation of the player. Its nice having all the money but it would be a waste if we spent a chunk on a player who most likely wouldnt be starting

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Need depth!!!![/quote]

it pisses me off.!!!! :evil: :evil:[/quote]
Three more to replace the 7-8 who have left or due to leave in total, great promotion push with all this so called millions in the pot for a red shirt huh, we will have less players than last season come next month :oops:[/quote]

Name the 8 then??? if 8 FIRST TEAM players left then I wanna know about it..... The players leaving are for the right reason.

Same as last year.

If they want to go and no longer stay with CCFC then so be it, sell them, replace them, and move on.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:57 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Of course because you know what happens behind the scenes :roll:

Well do you? I didn't think so.

I read that Coventry didn't allow him to speak to us. The offer was too low for a start. :roll:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:59 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:
castleblue wrote:

Because we didnt agree with the valuation of the player. Its nice having all the money but it would be a waste if we spent a chunk on a player who most likely wouldnt be starting

I agree with you 100% except that the players we are signing for approaching £1m, should be good enough to go straight into the match day squad. The point I'm making is we have been out bid why? Because the player was to expensive, maybe? But also because we don't have as much money to spend as we all think. :?

This bollocks about his agent asking for more money is just that bollocks, smoke and mirrors intended to hide our true intentions here.

Just my opinion.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:00 pm

rhys1927ccfc wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:Of course because you know what happens behind the scenes :roll:

Well do you? I didn't think so.

I read that Coventry didn't allow him to speak to us. The offer was too low for a start. :roll:

Listen he was captain of a side that got battered almost every game and got relegated, if he is so shit hot and worth blowing A stupid amount of money at, he would have gone elsewhere, by the sounds his agent was looking at the best deal for his client.

The fact that city's bid was never accepted was because Malkys team did not value him that high, have some positivity and leave the deals to his team. Would everyone be happy if we spent a million on this guy and he was shit. Come on Turner and Hudson are the best pairing in this league buy a mile.

Derby, come on there mid table at best.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:03 pm

castleblue wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:
castleblue wrote:

I agree with you 100% except that the players we are signing for approaching £1m, should be good enough to go straight into the match day squad. The point I'm making is we have been out bid why? Because the player was to expensive, maybe? But also because we don't have as much money to spend as we all think. :?

This bollocks about his agent asking for more money is just that bollocks, smoke and mirrors intended to hide our true intentions here.

Just my opinion.

I agree its most likely smoke and mirrors but at the end of the day we wanted him for the squad as he is not better than what we got? I dont agree that we dont have enough money when we are trying to sign players for several million

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:06 pm

It so happens that City first made contact with Coventry 7/8 weeks ago and this 'interest' in Keogh has been dragging on. We have had plenty of time to seal the deal before other clubs like Derby and Leeds came in. It does not take 2 months to strike a deal if you want the player that much.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:15 pm

Nothing ambitious about paying over the odds for players.
I'm sure if MM really wanted him we would have. If MM thinks he can get better with what Keogh was demanding them great.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Derby can offer him first team football, whilst a squad player for us and he does not have to uproot his family, makes sense but does show a lack of ambition

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Taffs Well Blue wrote:Derby can offer him first team football, whilst a squad player for us and he does not have to uproot his family, makes sense but does show a lack of ambition

He will also be Derby captain and most likely play CB his preferred position.
BBC suggests the deal is 1m+ :shock: