Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Eels and Terrapins Key to Success

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:56 am

Eels and terrapins...The secret of new Cardiff City star Kim Bo-Kyung's success

Kim Bo-KyungWHETHER it will replace the traditional half-time Clark’s Pie for Cardiff City fans remains very much open to debate.

But new Bluebirds signing Kim Bo-Kyung feels a special diet has played a big part in preparing him for life as a professional footballer.

And, for Kim, the term “half and half” doesn’t mean rice and chips. It’s more likely to be eels and terrapins!

“I fed him practically anything edible, from eels to terrapins,” said Kim’s father.

“Perhaps all that effort paid off as he grew much taller in high school.”

The South Korea midfielder started his career at Hongik University in Seoul and his pace, touch and vision soon saw him picked out as a player of genuine promise.

Play Slideshow« Previous PhotoNext Photo » Kim Bo-Kyung in action for South Korea Show Caption Play Slideshow« Previous PhotoNext Photo » .Kim signed for Cerezo Osaka in Japan’s JLeague and spent a successful loan spell at Oita Trinta, scoring eight goals in 27 games.

It was a valuable learning process for Kim and his development at Osaka soon saw them slap a £2.4m price tag on the 22-year-old.

Kim was soon attracting interest from the South Korean national set-up and shone at the under-20 World Cup in 2009, scoring twice in four matches.

He quickly stepped up to under-23 level and made his senior international debut two years ago, when he was tipped to match the exploits of the South Korea captain Park ji-Sung who has enjoyed such a successful career in Europe at PSV Eindhoven and Manchester United.

Park himself has talked highly about Kim, who is a versatile but elegant hard-working performer who can be just as effective on either wing or in central midfield.

One of the main weaknesses in the City squad last season was a lack of genuine pace and Bluebirds boss Malky Mackay knows the arrival of Kim will go some way to addressing that.

Kim’s trademark is attacking the space from midfield and over 30 goals in Japan is testament to his ability to break forward and score, as are his two international goals in a fledgling South Korea career.

Of course, the gamble with signing foreign players, especially those from a country so remote as South Korea, is whether they can settle and adapt to life in British football.

But having done his homework on Kim, Mackay is convinced that he will make the transition from the JLeague to the equally frenetic pace of the Championship.

What is certain is that Kim was being tracked by top European clubs so it represents something of a coup that he chose Cardiff.

“There are other teams in Europe but we agreed on Cardiff,” said Kim, who counted Celtic and Monaco among his suitors.

“Championship football is known for physical play but I’ll be ready for it.

“Ki Sung-Yueng, my international teammate who plays for Celtic, has been giving me valuable advice to help me settle in.

“Learning the English language is a top priority for me and I’ll do my best to fit in with the other players.

“The next step is to play well for the team, but Cardiff will not be my first and only club in Europe.”

If that last comment underlines his vaulting ambition, Kim would appear to have the work ethic required to get to the top of his chosen profession.

Asian commentators describe a player who works tirelessly in training, often staying behind after team sessions to volunteer for extra shooting practice.

Transfer talks aimed at bringing Kim to Cardiff speeded up after South Korea’s Olympic squad landed in London on Sunday.

The player’s agent Lee Yeung Joong insisted that any deal had to be completed before the Olympics.

Kim is part of a squad which has group games against Mexico, Switzerland and Gabon and hopes to be contesting the gold medal game at Wembley on August 11.

If South Korea do fall short he would be available for City’s pre-season friendly against Newcastle the same day and the first Championship fixture at home to Huddersfield on August 17.

Mackay was in Switzerland with the City squad for their week-long training camp.

But he stayed in contact with club chief executive Alan Whiteley and head of recruitment Iain Moody who met Kim and his advisors to put the finishes touches on a deal worth around £2m plus personal terms.

Mackay and his staff had worked hard to get their man – just don’t ask them to celebrate with a meal of eels and terrapins!

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z20xGKd1my

Re: Eels and Terrapins Key to Success

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:23 am

Why does the press state that he has signed yet the club haven't..? :?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:26 am

Because the hapless local hacks have clearly jumped the gun. As far as i'm aware the club are still awaiting international clearance before the transfer can be officially completed.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:48 am

lets hope moody and co, can get the deal completed and finalised and we have no hiccups..