Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Derby county have Keogh offer accepted

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:51 am

CARDIFF CITY’S attempts to capture Coventry defender Richard Keogh face an increased threat after the Sky Blues accepted an £800,000 offer from Derby County last night.

Rams boss Nigel Clough has upped the stakes in the battle for the highly-rated centre-half, and Keogh has been given permission by Coventry to speak to him.

Cardiff are not out of the running by any means, but it is becoming increasingly clear that they are not going to be given a free run in securing his signature, with Leeds United and Bristol City also in the hunt.

Keogh says he wants to speak with all the interested parties before he makes a decision, while Coventry want the best possible price and are delighted there is competition for the defender.

City manager Malky Mackay is with his squad on their pre-season training camp in Switzerland, but is in touch with all negotiations for Keogh and South Korean midfield player Kim Bo-Kyung.

Mackay has had an official bid of around £800,000 for the 25-year-old Keogh turned down and is considering a fresh offer, while negotiations with Kim’s representatives continued yesterday.

City won’t talk about who they are trying to sign, but Mackay said: “We are working hard to strengthen our squad and will keep pressing on all fronts.

“While talks are going on to see who is, or may become, available, the players with us in Switzerland are working through double sessions and building up their fitness for the new season.”

Mackay has already signed Jordon Mutch, Slovenian striker Etien Velikonja and goalkeeper Joe Lewis and wants to add three or four more including a central defender and experienced centre-forward.

Coventry, resigned to losing Keogh after he refused to sign a new contract, won’t reveal which club has had a transfer bid accepted, but it looks certain to be Derby. They have cash in the bank after selling Jason Shackell to Burnley for £1.1m.

Keogh stayed at home when Coventry set off on their pre-season trip to Scotland this week

He did not feature in Coventry’s pre-season victory at Hinckley on Saturday and was not expected to travel with the squad to Scotland for a three-match tour.

Clough will not talk about his potential targets, but said: “We are interested in bringing a couple of players in before the start of the season. All we can do is put our best offer on the table.

“We can also show them what we have to offer here in other ways apart from just money, and hopefully that will convince them.

“We can offer home crowds of 25,000 or 26,000, fantastic facilities and also the chance to be a part of what we think is a very exciting young side.

“Competition for him (Keogh) or players like him is always going to be tough because they are good players.”

Sky Blues boss Andy Thorn accepts that Keogh will return to the Championship and says: “There is an air of inevitability about Richard (leaving). Everybody is resigned to it.”

Captain Mark Hudson, Ben Turner and Darcy Blake are the main contenders for the the places at the heart of Cardiff’s back four, while Mackay would love to increase competition with both Dekel Keinan and Anthony Gerrard apparently out of the picture.

Neither was named in Mackay’s squad for the week-long trip to the Swiss town of Nyon, on the northern shore of Lake Geneva.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z20wVbH4ze

Re: Derby county have Keogh offer accepted

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:18 am

Hmmmm....if Derby snatch him away from us then it will put a whole different view on this Kimbo deal IMO, surely this won't happen? and I'm sure if Derby get Keogh then, Celtic would be able to offer Kimbo Champions League football?

This thread is worrying :cry: :(

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:49 am

Um! what has Celtic got to do with Derby or Keough or Kimbo? Celtic have always offered euro footy????

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:56 am

So we have a £800k bid turned down, yet Derby have a £800k bid accepted?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:06 am

Igovernor wrote:Um! what has Celtic got to do with Derby or Keough or Kimbo? Celtic have always offered euro footy????

What i'm saying is if Derby is more lucrative for Keogh, then surely Celtic and Champions League football would appeal more to Kimbo?

Well it would to me anyway?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:19 am

Now this really does worry me as Keogh was one of Malky's main targets.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:23 am

Forever Blue wrote:Now this really does worry me as Keogh was one of Malky's main targets.

Perhaps Derby will Offer him the centre back position he is rumoured to be craving for, if that's the case he will go there no doubt
Last edited by Gavin on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:23 am

Forever Blue wrote:Now this really does worry me as Keogh was one of Malky's main targets.

Keogh is stalling at something with a move to us, if he doesn't really want to move here then do we want him?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:24 am

And me Annis, if Keogh believes that Derby have more desire and chance to go up then it is very worrying. :(

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:28 am

ScottCcfc27 wrote:

And me Annis, if Keogh believes that Derby have more desire and chance to go up then it is very worrying. :(

Very worrying for Keogh if that is what he thinks. :lol:

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:30 am

Doesn't worry me at all. It could be for a number of reasons, he wants more money than we are prepared to pay, he wants to play centre half exclusively and Malky can't offer that assurance as he sees him as a right back as well.

If its money, he should look at Andrew Taylor as someone who could have earned more elsewhere but decided on Cardiff as we were a team who would be challenging for promotion and obviously wanted to work with Malky.

If we don't get him, we move on to the next target.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:40 am

What may also come into consideration for him and his family is that they may be settled in the midlands area and a move to Derby mave be more suitable for them.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:44 am

We don't actually know in an official capacity that he doesn't want to play for us, perhaps it's just dragging on as the Kim Bo Kyung deal has?

Wishful thinking perhaps

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:05 am

We haven't had a bid accepted, it's nothing to do with who he does or doesn't want to play for. He's not allowed to officially talk to us yet

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:20 am

FFS. We don't know anything!

For all we know Malky made a bid, offered him X amount wages and said
"take it or leave it son, that's all your worth to me"

If that's the case then happy days. The guy ain't exactly frank beckenbaur

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:43 am

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

not sure what to make of this...

i suppose there is nothing wrong with him wanting to listen to all offers on the table... however it does seem to me that he isnt sure about making the move to us.. i would have thought we would be right up there with the wages offer... maybe it is a relocation that he is concerned about...

if we wanted to show how much we wanted him, malky should have him flown over to switzerland to meet up personally.. after all its letting the others try and close the deal without him present that is a cause for concern in my opinion... and has provenly led to us not being able to close the deal...

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:52 am

Looks like another transfer fiasco like Noone which dragged on and on. This bid has been going on for 2 months. City had plenty of time to seal the transfer a long time ago if they wanted Keogh that much. The initial bid was not far from what Coventry wanted. They have given other clubs plenty of time to come in and make counter bids.

If there is a transfer war chest why does it take 2 months to strike a deal ?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:02 am

This should have been signed, sealed, delivered ages ago.

If he is stalling... f**k him, move on. Let him rot!

If it is us, then what are we doing? If he was one of Malky's main targets, I am sure we would have done more to sign him :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:03 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Looks like another transfer fiasco like Noone which dragged on and on. This bid has been going on for 2 months. City had plenty of time to seal the transfer a long time ago if they wanted Keogh that much. The initial bid was not far from what Coventry wanted. They have given other clubs plenty of time to come in and make counter bids.

If there is a transfer war chest why does it take 2 months to strike a deal ?

agree, our handling of transfers from the offer to the negotiation is def a major concern for me...

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:17 am

Move on Malky - a main target or not, playing for us doesn't seem to be a priority for him whatever the reason.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:25 am

taffyapple wrote:FFS. We don't know anything!

Taffy absolutely spot on!! There are plenty of centre backs we could sign up that are far better than Keogh, if he goes good luck we will move on.

To always assume that everything we know is correct is bollox, let Malkay do what he has to do, ill just wait for the official news on the website.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:32 am

caerdydd_78 wrote:
taffyapple wrote:FFS. We don't know anything!

Taffy absolutely spot on!! There are plenty of centre backs we could sign up that are far better than Keogh, if he goes good luck we will move on.

To always assume that everything we know is correct is bollox, let Malkay do what he has to do, ill just wait for the official news on the website.

thing is, malky isnt conducting the transfer business on this deal, he is just in contact with ian moody and the recruitment team..

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:50 am

TBH, he has said he does not want to play full back (i believe ?) and did want to go to brizzle (coz of his missus ?) so sign for the city, and play where you are told or hit the road, simples :-)

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:55 am

Not worried in the slightest

What i was told a couple of weeks ago then posted about was Keogh and his agent were stalling the talks due to the Coventry defender insisting on playing centre half instead of right back seems even more plausible now. Malkys'recruitment policy consists of several factors. If this is true - and i have no reason not to believe it - then it doesn't look like we've been as serious on capturing Keogh as the local press have had us believe recently. If his attitude isn't up to Malkys'standards then we move on. After Dave Jones'tenure the Diva's of the squad were shipped out pretty sharpish and Anthony Gerrards'widely reported on disruptive tendencies are why he'll be saying his goodbyes soon. I wouldn't worry about Derby having a new bid accepted - It just looks like our interest has waned

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:04 am

It would be disappointing for Malky to miss out on a target but he was only ever going to be a squad player anyway.

Not the end of the world for CCFC, lets move on and get someone else :old:

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:16 am

I don't think we need to read anything into losing a target that was deemed top of Malky's list and no one should suggest any conspiracy theories about the clubs commitment in the transfer market.

If Keogh goes to Derby it will because they paid him more, offered him a CB position or it would not require a home move.

He may think he is in a strong position and can pick an choose, but he will find out that each option has it's strengths and weaknesses. We will probably offer a greater promotion push and probably a better wage, Derby would offer less upheaval and a guaranteed CB position, whereas Bristol will probably be his wife's option.

He is probably turned off by Cardiff because he will be a smaller fish in a big pond, he may not be used to fighting for a position and if this is his thinking I would not want him annyway.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:17 am

Malky as a list of targets, wait and see, all paper talk. Perhaps we decided no to Keogh and are focusing on someone else. Its just the media running with it.
Remember Mutch and Etien came from nowhere . ;)

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:42 am

Why is there so much noise about him? He's average anyway. Don't get me wrong I'll be happy if we sign him. But far from gutted if he don't sign.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:57 am

if he wants to go to derby f**k him, see how he copes with bellamy and kim bo velikonja and the other striker when we play against them

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:14 am

Gavlar wrote:

Perhaps Derby will Offer him the centre back position he is rumoured to be craving for, if that's the case he will go there no doubt

This ^^^^ Derby will throw him straight in to the first team. If he comes here he'll have to dislodge Hudson or Turner.