Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SAM HAMMAM

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Just ask any Wimbledon fan what a nice generious likeable guy he is the certain people defend him on here makes me wonder if he has shares in this site :o .

Re: SAM HAMMAM

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:35 pm

T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:Just ask any Wimbledon fan what a nice generious likeable guy he is the certain people defend him on here makes me wonder if he has shares in this site :o .

I really cant see why people defend him so much

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:10 am

Actually, all the Wimbledon fans I've spoken to over the years have spoken highly of Sam. I can also remember Wimbledon coming to Ninian Park and their fans holding up "Thank You Sam" banners.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:59 am

You keep forgetting - he started the way forward, he got us to where we are now and whilst we are in financial shite - at present, it's better than where we were, where we could be and at least we have moved a long way forward.

Some people have short memories and are blinkered by what has gone on between the fans and Sam rather than he saved our arses from a football perspective and gave us great enjoyment along the way.

No - I don't know Sam, never met him nor been at one of his meetings before the numpties start! :old:

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:21 am

arri potta wrote:You keep forgetting - he started the way forward, he got us to where we are now and whilst we are in financial shite - at present, it's better than where we were, where we could be and at least we have moved a long way forward.

Some people have short memories and are blinkered by what has gone on between the fans and Sam rather than he saved our arses from a football perspective and gave us great enjoyment along the way.

No - I don't know Sam, never met him nor been at one of his meetings before the numpties start! :old:

I agree, without sam we would have gone to the wall, but no i wouldn't want him back with anything to do with the club in any shape or form, but welcome him back as a supporter .

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:12 am

[quote="arri potta"]You keep forgetting - he started the way forward, he got us to where we are now and whilst we are in financial shite - at present, it's better than where we were, where we could be and at least we have moved a long way forward.

No - I don't know Sam, never met him nor been at one of his meetings before the numpties start! :

Sam started this dream. No doubt. It was his vision. No doubt.

But all this Langstone/Sam/VT stuff now is starting to leave a bad taste

People aren't blinkered about what Sam did for this club. It's just that The
Vast majority find it too much to swallow that he could take us to the
High court one minute... Then after being slated, agree to wipe £14m
Off the alleged bill...because he loves the Club so much.??

How does that work?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:55 pm

Berwyn wrote:Actually, all the Wimbledon fans I've spoken to over the years have spoken highly of Sam. I can also remember Wimbledon coming to Ninian Park and their fans holding up "Thank You Sam" banners.

Well they must have been a very small handful ! .....no doubt thankingf him for their regular long bus journies to Milton Keynes every other Saturday :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:59 pm

[quote="arri potta"]You keep forgetting - he started the way forward, he got us to where we are now and whilst we are in financial shite - at present, it's better than where we were, where we could be and at least we have moved a long way forward.

No - I don't know Sam, never met him nor been at one of his meetings before the numpties start! :old:[/quote
Yea just like saying we should thank Harold Shipman for giving us euthanasia :o LMFAO

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:20 pm

taffyapple wrote:Sam started this dream. No doubt. It was his vision. No doubt.

How does that work?

Putting the High Court case in isolation is a bit unfair. Sam/Langston were pushed out of the club in 2006 and saw all his/their hard work end up in the hands of PMG/Ridsdale who the ones who really profited from his vision.

Also Ridsdale pre-court case would always bang on about the club being 'debt-free' when in reality the £15m + naming rights was always there. He had to put the record straight which he achieved even if he lost the Summary Judgement (which is not unusual BTW)

I don't know his real reasons for dropping £14m+ off what was owed (although the final amount Lansgton could get is £20m a drop of only £4m) but I suspect it was to do with getting VT on board in 2010 as he saw him as the only option for getting some money back.

I still judge the Sam Hammam years as a huge success and if only he could have stayed a little longer we would have been a Premiership team years ago.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:20 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
taffyapple wrote:Sam started this dream. No doubt. It was his vision. No doubt.

How does that work?

Putting the High Court case in isolation is a bit unfair. Sam/Langston were pushed out of the club in 2006 and saw all his/their hard work end up in the hands of PMG/Ridsdale who the ones who really profited from his vision.

Also Ridsdale pre-court case would always bang on about the club being 'debt-free' when in reality the £15m + naming rights was always there. He had to put the record straight which he achieved even if he lost the Summary Judgement (which is not unusual BTW)

I don't know his real reasons for dropping £14m+ off what was owed (although the final amount Lansgton could get is £20m a drop of only £4m) but I suspect it was to do with getting VT on board in 2010 as he saw him as the only option for getting some money back.

I still judge the Sam Hammam years as a huge success and if only he could have stayed a little longer we would have been a Premiership team years ago.

Tony,

I am going to agree and disagree with you here but please hear me out.

Sam oversaw the 2nd favourite era for me (after Rick Wright) and provided the single greatest moment when we beat Leeds in the cup. The signings of Kav and Peter Thorne were better for me than Bellamy or Fowler and won't be bettered when we sign Berbatov (just kidding :) )

The problem for me is and always will be that Sam went out of his way to give the impression that he was spending his money. This was utterly naive of me but I'm sure many others got the same impression because he sold his relationship with the club and especially the fans so well. He could do no wrong.

Then it happened. Kav was sold out of the blue. All our prized assets were about to be sold and we may not even have a team to face Sheffield Utd on the Saturday. My slant on things but that's how sick I felt, I had to leave work early that day. The dust settled and things weren't that bad and we beat Sheff Utd! But from then on Sam's behaviour for me got worse and worse.

I know that circumstances conspired against him and the stadium project was slow getting up and running but when CITIBANK called in the debt and this mystery corporation came in with £24m it seemed like a way out of it. The problem is that these mystery "men" didn't want to be known. As far as I am concerned Sam is Langstone without a shadow of doubt, no matter how many times Carl tries to suggest otherwise (I agree with almost all of Carl's posts/views but never this one), he simply is. If he had come clean at the time and been willing to risk it all to get us where he wanted to take us, he'd still be up there as a hero. But he wouldn't and rather hid behind Langstone to protect his investment. It backfired on him because the council wouldn't sign the land over to an unknown party and he was forced out, not before the brinkmanship over the £500k or whatever the value was. Other than a few misguided few he is now hated at this club and all the very good work he did is tarnished or ruined!

People may not agree with VT on all matters (and obviously many don't on any) but he is putting his money where his mouth is, he has stated his intention to invest and once Sam is paid off, convert the debt to equity. We are starting to see the benefits with the signings that are coming in and the future looks better than at any time in the last 7 or 8 years, albeit with red shirts on.

Sam ruined it for himself and almost ruined it for all of us!