Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Whittingham will he be sold ?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:31 pm

annis would i be right in assuming the ranson deal would of only included players on our books at the time the deal was struck .....and not players we have signed since surely.... only my take on it i have no inside information on this :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:33 pm

BOWMAN wrote:
bluebird58 wrote:Whitts is in a similar position to many of our players in recent years - none of them, Bothroyd, Matthews, Ledley, Roger Johnson to name a few, are capable of playing at the level required by a top half Premier League side. Therefore, the only reason to leave is for the money.

Whitts has been a cracking player for us, and owes us nothing. However, his weaknesses are plain to see and that's why not many PL teams are that interested. He is VERY one-footed, a little bit slow and last year proved you can mark him out of the game. His dead ball and passing skills are outstanding at our level, but only ordinary by Premier League standards. As long as nobody wants to double his wages, then I don't see him going anywhere for a while. :ayatollah: :)

Has the habit of going missing in the bigger games too :(

Oh really?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:37 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
BOWMAN wrote:
bluebird58 wrote:Whitts is in a similar position to many of our players in recent years - none of them, Bothroyd, Matthews, Ledley, Roger Johnson to name a few, are capable of playing at the level required by a top half Premier League side. Therefore, the only reason to leave is for the money.

Whitts has been a cracking player for us, and owes us nothing. However, his weaknesses are plain to see and that's why not many PL teams are that interested. He is VERY one-footed, a little bit slow and last year proved you can mark him out of the game. His dead ball and passing skills are outstanding at our level, but only ordinary by Premier League standards. As long as nobody wants to double his wages, then I don't see him going anywhere for a while. :ayatollah: :)

Oh really?

Yes really

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:48 pm

If we do player exchanges, would that not exclude Ranson from getting any money?

Surely there must be ways round it? Ive noticed we dont seem to be selling many
so perhaps they have found a way to bypass the clauses or whatever??

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:50 pm

BOWMAN wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
BOWMAN wrote:

Oh really?

Yes really

I disagree

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:51 pm

taffyapple wrote:If we do player exchanges, would that not exclude Ranson from getting any money?

Yea its called you can only get f**k all out of f**k all :lol:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
BOWMAN wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
BOWMAN wrote:

Oh really?

Yes really

I disagree

No probs mate that what forums are about our differing opinions :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
taffyapple wrote:If we do player exchanges, would that not exclude Ranson from getting any money?

Yeh, that kind of thing :lol: :D

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:00 pm

I agree with Lee! He had a bad patch when teams sussed him out last season - but if im not mistaken he still finished highest scorer and assists last season, and didnt he score like 23 odd goals the season before? with some amazing free kicks, and volley's and nominantion for goal of the season v Barnsley? Oh, not to forget Boro away a few seasons ago when we got to the FA Cup final, and progressing us through last seasons carling cup to the final......

Don't think he goes missing in big games if im honest, but all players go through a sticky/dry patch. at some point.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:00 pm

taffyapple wrote:

Yeh, that kind of thing :lol: :D

:lol: Being serious you do raise a good point about us not selling (for a fee any way) many players recently and I suppose doing swaps would get around the Ranson deal :idea:

TBH I wish we had sold Bothroyd to Fulham for £4m that would have cleared the debt up in one go.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Merlin wrote:I agree with Lee! He had a bad patch when teams sussed him out last season - but if im not mistaken he still finished highest scorer and assists last season, and didnt he score like 23 odd goals the season before? with some amazing free kicks, and volley's and nominantion for goal of the season v Barnsley? Oh, not to forget Boro away a few seasons ago when we got to the FA Cup final, and progressing us through last seasons carling cup to the final......

Don't think he goes missing in big games if im honest, but all players go through a sticky/dry patch. at some point.

You are right Merlin. All players (even really great ones) go through a sticky patch at some point and Whits is no different.

Since the end of the 2009 season (when we blew the play-offs, 6-0 @ Preston etc) Whits has really pulled his socks up and has scored 40+ goals since then from Midfield.

He is a fantastic player and could have played at a much higher standard with relative success.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Lawnmower wrote:The Ranson deal is for a % of transfer fees, not all of it. So if Whitts was sold then PART of the fee would go toward paying this debt off. No idea how much the % is - 50% would be my best guess, but only a guess.

As Annis says the value of it was £3.4m as at May 2011. Can't remember if we've got a fee for anyone since then. Wouldn't be anything major anyway so safe to assume its still around that level.

When did Chopra go?

Nice one Tony. June 10th 2011, so part of his fee should have gone to Ranson. Maybe its nearer £3m now.

By the way, the loan is no longer interest bearing, so no rush to clear it.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:17 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:The Ranson deal is for a % of transfer fees, not all of it. So if Whitts was sold then PART of the fee would go toward paying this debt off. No idea how much the % is - 50% would be my best guess, but only a guess.

As Annis says the value of it was £3.4m as at May 2011. Can't remember if we've got a fee for anyone since then. Wouldn't be anything major anyway so safe to assume its still around that level.

When did Chopra go?

Nice one Tony. June 10th 2011, so part of his fee should have gone to Ranson. Maybe its nearer £3m now.

If its not costing us more, just wait till we get promoted :roll:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Lawnmower wrote:

When did Chopra go?

Just wondered because sometimes the Ranson debt is referred to as being either £3.5m or £2.5m. May be it was £3.5m but is now around £2.5m after a £1m was knocked off from selling Chopra? (If I'm right then the % would be some where between 50-75%)

I agree if the loan is not interest bearing then there is no rush to pay it off.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:22 pm

ayahtolla wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:

When did Chopra go?

If its not costing us more, just wait till we get promoted :roll:

Don't even have to wait until then.
Just wait until we sell players we don't want/need anymore over the years and the debt will eventually be gone. I would say the Ranson debt is probably the least worrying aspect of anything to do with the club for me.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:36 pm

Lawnmower wrote:

When did Chopra go?

Just wondered because sometimes the Ranson debt is referred to as being either £3.5m or £2.5m. May be it was £3.5m but is now around £2.5m after a £1m was knocked off from selling Chopra? (If I'm right then the % would be some where between 50-75%)

I agree if the loan is not interest bearing then there is no rush to pay it off.

It was ORIGINALLY £2.5M with a one off 50% interest charge which would have taken it to £3.75m.

This was the staggerring stupidity of Ridsdale's dealings at the time.

It was later renegotiated down to £3.5m but with this security on transfer fees but no more interest.

That Chopra deal would have dropped it probably to just under £3m (I've got the figure of 50% in my head but don't know if thats something I've read or just put there by the same mouse that tends to run around my head dropping random numbers wherever it likes ) :lol:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:50 pm

BOWMAN wrote:If he goes we have Jordan Mutch to play that role ;)

I did mention the moment we signed Mutch that it would pave the way for Whitts to leave and ever since you had individuals like Taffyapple bringing it up so we just wait and see shall we.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:03 pm

Haven't read any posts on this thread, but Whitts has said he doesn't want to leave, and Malky said in an interview from Switzerland he has no intention of selling. He wants to build the squad

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff today as everyone knows turned Fulhams offer down
:ayatollah:

We also know Ray Ranson would get the first £3.5 mill

So will City hold out ?
Will Fulham increase their offer ?

One day we will have to pay Ray Ranson off.

annis,i believe that whitts will go,and i think whitts maybe ready himself to move on....just my opinion.. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:38 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Dont think we'd be stupid enough to sell our best player just to clear some debt.

Some debt? I don't want to sell him but i'd prefer to see long term stability.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:40 pm

rhys1927ccfc wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:Dont think we'd be stupid enough to sell our best player just to clear some debt.

How does it effect the stability of the club? It doesn't.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:44 pm

I'm of the opinion that selling him isn't to clear any debt although it will probably end up that way. Surely they could come to a 'cheaper' solution with Ranson if they agreed on something like a £2m figure up front.

'If' and it is a HUGE 'if' Whittingham is to leave its more than likely because one party would prefer that he did leave rather than for it to cover a debt.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:50 pm

so when we sell a player they take some of it and that money goes off the debt? i always thought it was just a clause that they could do it untill we pay them?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:55 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:how much do we owe ranson ffs?? :(

Approx £3.5 mill and that will be the end off it, once and for all.

IF WE HAVE ALL THIS MONEY - Why can't we pay off this £3.5M :?:

Reduce MM transfer kitty to £10M - We have saved money each week on the 5 - 8 players we have let go .

Saved on the wages we were paying DJ - TB - and the rest of the backroom team for most of last season.

Trust me ... If / when Bellers signs for us...he will not be very happy if Whitts goes...FACT :!:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:00 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Reduce MM transfer kitty to £10M - We have saved money each week on the 5 - 8 players we have let go .

Saved on the wages we were paying DJ - TB - and the rest of the backroom team for most of last season.

Trust me ... If / when Bellers signs for us...he will not be very happy if Whitts goes...FACT :!:

No need to pay it though mate the debt doesn't increase..... I can't see it being paid for years and I don't blame the club.
It just reduces the budget.

If they have 3m to pay it then jut chuck it in the bank to gain interest for the club, don't pay that debt.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:00 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Excatly TC!!! If they are prepared to come to a lower agreement with Sam then why can't they do the same with Ranson..? In the long term surely it would save the club money

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:02 pm

I can not see the Malaysians selling Whitts.

People are still under estimating the Malaysians intentions this coming season.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:32 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
rhys1927ccfc wrote:

Course it does, The longer we keep Whittingham the longer we have that £3.5mil debt hanging over us.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:41 pm

rhys1927ccfc wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
rhys1927ccfc wrote:

Course it does, The longer we keep Whittingham the longer we have that £3.5mil debt hanging over us.

Why is it hanging over us?
It just paid when we sell, if anything it helps us keep players we want.

If we sell him we lose a player but it doesn't save us any money other than his wage but we lose a huge asset.

It makes no sense to pay this debt until we want or have to sell players.

I could understand if it had to be paid by a certain time or was adding interest but it isn't and it doesn't.