Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Velikonja - Malky got his man

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:20 am

New Cardiff signing Etien Velikonja believes manager Malky Mackay was the major influence behind his transfer from NK Maribor.

The Slovenia international striker joined the Championship side on a four-year deal last week after scoring 20 goals for his native club last season.

Velikonja claims he was a long-term target of Bluebirds boss Mackay and believes the manager pushed the move through.

He told Maribor's official website: "I really didn't think about leaving Maribor, but then in a short period of time all this happened.

"I'm really happy that such a big club as Cardiff City wanted me.

Fond

"I know who is behind all this - manager Malky Mackay. He is very fond of me, he has been tracking me for some years now.

"I know that he wanted me even when he was at Watford."

Velikonja says it is a dream come true to be playing in England and cannot wait to get started with the Bluebirds.

"It is a pleasure that I will be able to play in England," he added. "Everybody dreams about such a transfer and I believe that this is the right move for me."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... ot-his-man

Re: Velikonja - Malky got his man

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:21 am

caerdydd_78 wrote:New Cardiff signing Etien Velikonja believes manager Malky Mackay was the major influence behind his transfer from NK Maribor.

The Slovenia international striker joined the Championship side on a four-year deal last week after scoring 20 goals for his native club last season.

Velikonja claims he was a long-term target of Bluebirds boss Mackay and believes the manager pushed the move through.

He told Maribor's official website: "I really didn't think about leaving Maribor, but then in a short period of time all this happened.

"I'm really happy that such a big club as Cardiff City wanted me.

Fond

"I know who is behind all this - manager Malky Mackay. He is very fond of me, he has been tracking me for some years now.

"I know that he wanted me even when he was at Watford."

Velikonja says it is a dream come true to be playing in England and cannot wait to get started with the Bluebirds.

"It is a pleasure that I will be able to play in England," he added. "Everybody dreams about such a transfer and I believe that this is the right move for me."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... ot-his-man

Good man :D :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:56 pm

i think someone should tell him he is going to be playing in wales though

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:40 pm

the govenor wrote:i think someone should tell him he is going to be playing in wales though

Where do the other 23 teams in the league play? And what league do we play in?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Postive :D :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:37 pm

Thats what we want, someone who wants to play for us, cant wait to have a look at him on the pitch ;)

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Have we moved our ground ? Thought we played in Wales.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:53 am

Dicey wrote:Have we moved our ground ? Thought we played in Wales.

Maybe he isn't looking forward to the home games because of the anger of the home fans at being red :lol:

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:04 am

Velikonja is playing for Maribor tonight in the first leg of their Champions League qualifier, going to try and find a live stream to have a look at him. :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:59 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Velikonja is playing for Maribor tonight in the first leg of their Champions League qualifier, going to try and find a live stream to have a look at him. :ayatollah:

Is this right? I thought he had already joined up with Malky and the squad in Switzerland? :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:12 pm

droopy wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Velikonja is playing for Maribor tonight in the first leg of their Champions League qualifier, going to try and find a live stream to have a look at him. :ayatollah:

Is this right? I thought he had already joined up with Malky and the squad in Switzerland? :ayatollah:

Velikonja will be playing for Maribor in their 2nd leg tie on the 25th as well, before he joins up with our squad! :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:14 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
droopy wrote:

Velikonja will be playing for Maribor in their 2nd leg tie on the 25th as well, before he joins up with our squad! :ayatollah:

Ahhh right, ok. Seems a bit silly letting him play some highly competitive games. I suppose we have something written in the contract, that if he does get seriously injured, we can tear it up??

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:17 pm

droopy wrote:

Velikonja will be joining the squad in Switzerland after he plays the second leg of the qualifier on July 25th. I just hope he doesn't get injured! :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:57 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
droopy wrote:

Velikonja will be joining the squad in Switzerland after he plays the second leg of the qualifier on July 25th. I just hope he doesn't get injured! :ayatollah:

Think you'll find that the squad are only in Switzerland for a week and will be back before the 25th! ;) :) :ayatollah:

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/page/New ... 02,00.html