Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Was Kenny Miller ?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:37 am

Our worst ever signing in terms of costs to our club ?

We paid approx £800,000 incl signing on fee etc

Kenny's wage was a basic £25,000 a week.

We have let him go on a free transfer.

I am not having a go at Kenny, as I believe he could have done the job, if he had had a partner and support on the pitch, we played one up front at home last season.

Or is Robbie Fowler(managed to sell thousands of shirts) or Eddie Johnson or any one else the most costliest/wasted money by our club in our history?

Re: Was Kenny Miller ?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:38 am

gavin gordon

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:41 am

He did well and gave 100% for the club ok it didnt really work out and we paid over the odds but it could have been a diferent story..
He certainly wasnt the worse ever signing

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:42 am

godfrey Ingham :D

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:52 am

i rated Miller as a qualitity player and think it was the system we played , a lone player up front did not suit him,
I supprised we let him go on a free and think with a player up front with him we would of seen a different player.

A bit supprised he went abroad again after he came back to the UK because his family wanted to come back to the UK

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:54 am

Annis.... Are you serious?? How many years have you been supporting the city?? And you think that Kenny might be the worst/most costly signing?? Wow! I suggest you delete this thread to save your dignity. :lol:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:55 am

Earnshaw's signing on fee and wages for very little return must put him close

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:56 am

Blobby Fowler for me a complete waste of money in my opinion. Forget shirt sales we paid this guy a fortune and paid for his hip operation and rehabilitation and then the parasite walked away.

Utter tw*t in my opinion and in comparison KM gave his all for the club and maybe he has been moved on to free up wages for the return of Craig Bellamy.

Surely that is going to happen now why else would MM let our most experienced forward leave. :?

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:59 am

I thought he was a good signing, ran his heart out for the club, never gave up.

Shame he didn't bang in as many as expected.

Sad to seem him go

:ayatollah:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:04 am

droopy wrote:Annis.... Are you serious?? How many years have you been supporting the city?? And you think that Kenny might be the worst/most costly signing?? Wow! I suggest you delete this thread to save your dignity. :lol:

Annis does say 'in terms of costs to our club' and not to do with ability. For what he cost in total, for one season with no return....Annis could be right

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:05 am

Got to be Eddie for me he was shocking and
That's being kind. How he ever played premiership
Football is beyond me, just goes to show there's
Hope for us all :D I liked kenny but the
Formation we played didn't suite him!!

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:07 am

Deano1 wrote:
droopy wrote:Annis.... Are you serious?? How many years have you been supporting the city?? And you think that Kenny might be the worst/most costly signing?? Wow! I suggest you delete this thread to save your dignity. :lol:

Annis does say 'in terms of costs to our club' and not to do with ability. For what he cost in total, for one season with no return....Annis could be right

No return?? Without his goals we would not have been in the play-offs this season. Any idea how much extra revenue that brings to our club?? Some guy posted in a thread about the goals scored and the amount of points he won us this season. Take a look at that and then come back! Jeez :lol:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:07 am

Forever Blue wrote:Our worst ever signing in terms of costs to our club ?

I am not having a go at Kenny, as I believe he could have done the job, if he had had a partner and support on the pitch, we played one up front at home last season.

Or is Robbie Fowler(managed to sell thousands of shirts) or Eddie Johnson or any one else the most costliest/wasted money by our club in our history?

aint eddie johnson in th mls 11 to play chelsea

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:14 am

kenny miller should have done better infront of goal, but i disagree with some people because he gave 100% every game. what do you expect from him when he plays upfront on his own week in week out. i wish him the best :ayatollah:

... after seeing what wages he was on i can't wait to see what we offer some players this season :lol:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:16 am

droopy wrote:
Deano1 wrote:

No return?? Without his goals we would not have been in the play-offs this season. Any idea how much extra revenue that brings to our club?? Some guy posted in a thread about the goals scored and the amount of points he won us this season. Take a look at that and then come back! Jeez :lol:

so, you'd be happy for us to spend 2 million plus on a load of players for one season, not get promoted, and then let them leave for nothing? Ah, but they did score a few goals at the start of the season, but not at the business end, so that's ok! :roll: :lol:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:16 am

In terms of wages it has to be Hudson. Did we pay a fee for him?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:19 am

Deano1 wrote:
droopy wrote:
Deano1 wrote:

so, you'd be happy for us to spend 2 million plus on a load of players for one season, not get promoted, and then let them leave for nothing? Ah, but they did score a few goals at the start of the season, but not at the business end, so that's ok! :roll: :lol:

I don't think many players would have done better with the service he had to be honest. Dreadfully poor service towards the end of last season. He worked his arse off in every game 110% in every match he played. He was unfortunate not to have a decent partner and I wish him all the best.

Also, the fee that we paid and the wages we paid him (total £2m), I believe he paid most of that if not all back to us this year as a results of his match winning goals. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:19 am

BlueWhite&Yellow wrote:In terms of wages it has to be Hudson. Did we pay a fee for him?

Hudson? Don't make me laugh, took time to settle, but has been brilliant signing IMO, gets wrongly criticised!

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:23 am

Valleybluebird wrote:
BlueWhite&Yellow wrote:In terms of wages it has to be Hudson. Did we pay a fee for him?

Hudson? Don't make me laugh, took time to settle, but has been brilliant signing IMO, gets wrongly criticised!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:27 am

Gavin Gordon for £550 k ish & Spencer Prior for £750 k ish?

Kenny Miller became many peoples fall guy, I fully appreciated his effort never failed to give 100%, some of his movement was too good for his own team mates. The bottom line is that strikers are paid to score and he became a victim of an "accidental" change in tactics at Blackpool. The way we started last season it didn't appear the plan was to revert to one lone striker, it's hindsight but we had our chance to change this again in Jan by bringing in another striker but didn't.

The rest is History and we all know Kenny's confidence in front of goal vanished, I'm excited to see who if anybody comes in to replace him, Not bothered KM is going if we bring in another but would be concerned if we are going to rely on Rudy & Earnie.

Good luck Kenny Miller. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:30 am

droopy wrote:
Deano1 wrote:
droopy wrote:
Deano1 wrote:

I don't think many players would have done better with the service he had to be honest. Dreadfully poor service towards the end of last season. He worked his arse off in every game 110% in every match he played. He was unfortunate not to have a decent partner and I wish him all the best.

Also, the fee that we paid and the wages we paid him (total £2m), I believe he paid most of that if not all back to us this year as a results of his match winning goals. :ayatollah:

I'm not disputing his efforts or his ability....I liked him. But in purely financial terms, the outlay on his fee and wages with no return was hefty. You could also say that the goals he didn't score cost us in excess of 90 million ;)

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:32 am

it was mentioned on here before (cant remember what thread) that Miller and Bellamy have never seen eye to eye, so maybe with Kenny moving on is a clear sign of Bellamy coming in very soon?? :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:35 am

spikey wrote:i rated Miller as a qualitity player and think it was the system we played , a lone player up front did not suit him,
I supprised we let him go on a free and think with a player up front with him we would of seen a different player.

A bit supprised he went abroad again after he came back to the UK because his family wanted to come back to the UK

Agree with most of this, though I believe he returned to the UK to get away from Turkey and would have went almost anywhere that it was that bad. Might be wrong on that front but that was from speaking to one of his international friends!

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:50 am

Oh good.....another negative thread from Annis! Hashtag....getting borning now!

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:52 am

Bluebird99 wrote:Oh good.....another negative thread from Annis! Hashtag....getting borning now!

:ayatollah: :lol:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:22 am

Valleybluebird wrote:

Not desputing the fact that he had a good season, but this season has been the only season he has performed.

The wages he is on for a centre half is crazy.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:15 am

Fowler by a country mile, He arrived unfit, he may have sold a few shirts but contributed nothing after his last apprearance at Bristol City ..The club paid to get him fit & as soon as he was he jumped ship.

I surprised that the Malaysians sanctioned £25k p/w as I was under the impression that that they had a strict wage policy.

Haven't Vancouver Whitecaps taken over hs contract? Good luck to KM ran his socks off for the club for little reward. Not helped by Malkys insistance on 4-5-1 and lack of width & creativity. If we had retained Bothroyd and played a 4-4-2 Miller would have scored 20+.

Gavin Gordon was at the club for 4 seasons and scored scoring 6 league goals, a shocking return for £500k that we paid for him! I

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:16 am

He scored 11 goals in 49 matches, if I remember correctly. That's not a great return for a striker, admittedly, but his work rate was tremendous and we shouldn't forget that. We reached the play-offs and the Carling Cup Final last season, so I honestly don't think he's anywhere near the worst in terms of cost to our club or whatever.

As for who could be argued as the worst, there's a hell of a long list! I don't where to start - or where to stop!

:lol:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:19 am

Bluebird99 wrote:Oh good.....another negative thread from Annis! Hashtag....getting borning now!

I don't think it's negative, it's just a discussion point.

I tell you what I'm bored with - f***ing hashtags! Get yourself off to the Graham Norton Show.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:32 am

He cost us 800k, his wages were 25k a week, he played on his own up front basically all season when I'm sure he would've scored way more goals if he a had a decent partner, and we get rid of him after one season on a free.

Biggest waste of money ever.