Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Centre Half and Left Back

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

We need a pacy,good on the floor centre back to challenge Huds and Ben and give us something different there, and left back, well I don't agree with a lot of posters here who like Taylor, I think he is an average champ defender but good going forward, in his defence I think theres ability there to work on tactically and improve his all round game and positioning and tackling, but I would like to see a seasoned experienced LB come in, would educate Taylor and challenge him for that role, like Ian Harte did at Reading (unlike Naylor!). Am hoping Keogh arrives as I thought Kev was strangely hot and cold last season, and needs to return to form.

I can vividly picture loads of conceded goals last season coming in from the flanks and into the 6 yard box - from the full backs going missing, and the central defence also being done for pace.

Excited by the signings up front, puts bum on seats, but our defence let Ramsey, Burke, Jay, Bells, Chops and Whitts down 2 seasons ago, get the defence like a rock I say.

Re: Centre Half and Left Back

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:57 am

tangledupinblue wrote:We need a pacy,good on the floor centre back to challenge Huds and Ben and give us something different there, and left back, well I don't agree with a lot of posters here who like Taylor, I think he is an average champ defender but good going forward, in his defence I think theres ability there to work on tactically and improve his all round game and positioning and tackling, but I would like to see a seasoned experienced LB come in, would educate Taylor and challenge him for that role, like Ian Harte did at Reading (unlike Naylor!). Am hoping Keogh arrives as I thought Kev was strangely hot and cold last season, and needs to return to form.

I can vividly picture loads of conceded goals last season coming in from the flanks and into the 6 yard box - from the full backs going missing, and the central defence also being done for pace.

Excited by the signings up front, puts bum on seats, but our defence let Ramsey, Burke, Jay, Bells, Chops and Whitts down 2 seasons ago, get the defence like a rock I say.

Someone else who saw it like me. Thank you, sir.

:thumbup:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:03 am

Nedd Glas wrote:
tangledupinblue wrote:We need a pacy,good on the floor centre back to challenge Huds and Ben and give us something different there, and left back, well I don't agree with a lot of posters here who like Taylor, I think he is an average champ defender but good going forward, in his defence I think theres ability there to work on tactically and improve his all round game and positioning and tackling, but I would like to see a seasoned experienced LB come in, would educate Taylor and challenge him for that role, like Ian Harte did at Reading (unlike Naylor!). Am hoping Keogh arrives as I thought Kev was strangely hot and cold last season, and needs to return to form.

:ayatollah: Here here sir.

I am in the Canton and the amount of times last season, right in front of us the away team wideman or full back would get round the back and down the byeline and have time to pick a pass into the 6 yard box to work our keeper was unbelievable. Always seem to happen down our end!!!! NEEDS SORTING URGENT

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:06 am

I think a left-back is a must. Don't get me wrong, I think Taylor is an ok defender, but he is just that OK. If we are to get to the premier league Andrew "Square Pass" Taylor has got to make way for a decent left back (or move Kev over and replace right-back position).

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:10 am

droopy wrote:I think a left-back is a must. Don't get me wrong, I think Taylor is an ok defender, but he is just that OK. If we are to get to the premier league Andrew "Square Pass" Taylor has got to make way for a decent left back (or move Kev over and replace right-back position).

100% agreed :ayatollah: I sense more leaked unnecessary goals if not addressed.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:05 am

Yeah I've been worried that we only have 6 first team defenders in the squad and one left back. If we sign keogh then I think that could see Keogh at RB and Kev at LB but I would still like to see a LB come in.

I don't really think it needs to be an experienced player though - that's why I was gutted to see Greg Cunningham join the wurzels.

Got any names in mind?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:10 am

robinsonisgod7 wrote:Yeah I've been worried that we only have 6 first team defenders in the squad and one left back. If we sign keogh then I think that could see Keogh at RB and Kev at LB but I would still like to see a LB come in.

I don't really think it needs to be an experienced player though - that's why I was gutted to see Greg Cunningham join the wurzels.

Got any names in mind?

I would prefer a youngster in on loan: -

I think we should punt for Danny Rose (don't think he will be in the Tottenham team this year)

or

Jack Robinson (don't think he will be in the Liverpool team)

or

Ryan Bertrand (again I think Chelsea have plenty of cover in that area)

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:14 am

Robinson, Bertrand good shout, for more experience maybe an ex Jack in Ricketts or maybe that boy Bale!

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:24 am

tangledupinblue wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:

:ayatollah: Here here sir.

I am in the Canton and the amount of times last season, right in front of us the away team wideman or full back would get round the back and down the byeline and have time to pick a pass into the 6 yard box to work our keeper was unbelievable. Always seem to happen down our end!!!! NEEDS SORTING URGENT