Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

kenny, i wish him well.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:58 am

During his time in Scotland, Kenny Miller played for Rangers, then rival Celtic, then back to Rangers. So, as Whitecaps analyst David Norman said: “You know he’s got balls.”

The Whitecaps will hope Miller’s got plenty of goals to contribute, too.

The club, with just 21 tallies in 20 games this season — fifth-worst in MLS — announced Miller’s signing on Monday.

The 32-year-old Scottish international forward was already in town to train at B.C. Place. He won’t feature in Wednesday’s lineup against the L.A. Galaxy, perhaps Sunday against San Jose.

But aside from guts and goals, there’s plenty more to Miller, according to his new coach.

“The goal threat is a huge part of it,” said Martin Rennie, “but the fact he’s a hard-working player who can bring more to the team, that’s just as important.

“He has the ability to run in behind people. He has good movement. He can play in a couple of different positions, hold the ball up and create things. Over the years he’s assisted on a lot of goals.”

Contract details weren’t disclosed, nor is it known what the Whitecaps paid to Cardiff City to acquire Miller, who had one year left on his contract with the English Championship side.

What is known is that Miller will be the third designated player on the Whitecaps’ roster after Eric Hassli and Barry Robson, so only a portion of his salary will count against the $2.8-million cap.

Teams are allowed three DPs, but the Whitecaps will have paid $250,000 to the league for the third DP slot, money that’s distributed among the teams who don’t carry three.

The move for Miller was possible after the Whitecaps cleared cap room and an international spot by selling playmaker Davide Chiumiento to FC Zurich last Wednesday.

Rennie, though, said fans shouldn’t see it as a one-for-one swap.

Chiumiento had a more lucrative three-year offer on the table at Zurich.

“It’s not like a get-rid-of-one, bring-in-the-other type move,” said Rennie, who also traded forward Sebastien Le Toux to New York for winger Dane Richards and cash on Friday.

“We’re always looking to see how we can build the squad and make it better. We’re always building our squad with the long term in mind.”

As for how Miller will fit in, it’s bound to be better than last year’s summer designated player signing, Gambian Mustapha Jarju, who came, played 10 scoreless games, and was bought out after Rennie arrived.

Miller isn’t a clinical finisher, according to Norman and Fox Soccer Report’s Bobby McMahon — keen observers of the Scottish game — but he will get you goals, and he’ll score them in different ways.

In 2010-11, Miller scored 27 times in 31 games split between Rangers and Turkish side Bursaspor, an experiment that only lasted 15 games.

He also enjoyed success with Wolverhampton in England in the early-to-mid 2000s, and he’s scored 16 times for Scotland in 60 international appearances.

“I’ve got a lot more than goals to offer in my game,” said Miller, who netted 11 in 49 appearances for Cardiff City last season and said the possibility of this deal arose a month ago.

“But obviously, as a striker, you want to score as many goals as you can.”

This move to Canada — his first time in the country — will be far easier than his trying move to Turkey. Among the reasons is his familiarity with fellow Scottish international Robson, and the fact Rennie is a Scot.

Miller has also played against Whitecaps assistant coaches Paul Ritchie — another Scot — and Carl Robinson in the past.

“It’s a far different move,” Miller said. “There’s a few friendly faces here.

“[MLS] is always something I’ve wanted to do at some point in my career and what a fantastic opportunity to come to a great city and a fantastic club.”

“It’ll take him a bit of time to settle — it’s a whole new experience,” said Robson, who’s learned that first hand this month and spoke with Miller before the move.

“I’m looking forward to seeing him play and looking forward to playing with him. Hopefully he can bang in a few goals, and he’s got that experience as well and I’m sure he’ll be good for the club.”

Rennie expects Miller’s versatility to be a big asset. He’ll use him up front but also as a withdrawn forward and a winger when needed.

The coach also thinks that Miller will mentor and complement speedy rookie Darren Mattocks, who leads the Whitecaps with six goals and has played as a central striker and in a more withdrawn role.

“I think he can teach Darren Mattocks certain things,” said Rennie. “Movements and runs and how to use his body. For sure, I think they can really help each other.”

Hassli, meanwhile, hobbled out of B.C. Place with a walking boot on his right foot.

The big Frenchman turned his ankle late in Vancouver’s 1-0 loss at the Chicago Fire on Saturday. An X-ray was negative but Hassli was headed for an MRI on Monday. Minutes will be even harder to come by when he returns.

And once Miller is up to speed, the hope is that goals will be easier to come by.

“We’re a team that needs to keep getting better in possession, needs to create more chances,” said Rennie. “But having a guy who can put the ball in the net is also a big part of it.” :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol: :lol:
-----CCFC--------------