Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ABOUT MY OTHER THREAD

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:Ahhhhh right, it appears to be one of those terrible programmes on Channel 4 (I watched one about the EDL a while back) that is blatantly trying to evoke and incite racial intolerance. Think of the producers as those kids in the playground shouting "Fight! Fight! Fight!".

It's a cack-handed attempt at creating a debate, I agree, but don't you think that some areas have got a problem with racial intolerance in the UK?

Yeah I think there are issues, however these are exacerbated by the economic climate and the media. That's just my opinion though!

Agreed. Any solution or do we just hope that it sorts itself out without any tangible intervention?

Hmmm. Well from what I've read and seen, the two major problems seem to be ignorance and a severe lack of communication.

The ignorance being from both sides, from the indigenous 'Brits' towards new and alien cultures, and these 'aliens' towards British customs and traditions. It's up to the Home/Foreign Office to devise an effective scheme to counter this problem, however the use of leaflets and other educational literature could work when given to new immigrants on arrival (in their native language of course). Simply outlining basic British customs, the general view on different religions, and how to respect social norms and avoid any clangers or 'faux pas' so to speak. Equally, it's quite shameful how little (myself included!) understand about different religions and cultures. What initially appears strange and often scary is usually little more than religious custom, and education (especially in areas with a high percentage of relevent ethnic minorities) could prove invaluable.

In terms of communication, how often do indigenous residents talk to their minority counterparts? Yes, both sides may appear unwilling initially however, when it comes to racial tensions, communication should really be advised before (as you've said) any simmering feelings make an ugly entrance. Where? Community centres, town halls, on the street it really doesn't matter. However if local councils promoted a monthly meeting for residents of any given area to voice their concerns (privately or publicly) it would do alot to dispel the divisions and avoid anyone taking their feelings out through violence or verbal intimidation which has occured in areas such as Bradford. Positive communication can work, in my opinion at least.

However, I'm no politician or councillor, so we'll allow their fine minds to concoct an apt solution ;)

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:55 pm

adz-a32 wrote:Soz for any offense. I know it does not apply for 99.99% of the people on here but I was offended by a couple of comments. I know some of you were thinking "why is this kid standing up for AK" and I'll answer why: the Asian community is like one massive family. Sorry again. :ayatollah:

Mate stirring up this whole hornets nest in the first place I can forgive. Playing the race card a tad too easily, despite being a particular pet hate of mine, I can forgive. Even backing Amir Khan, despite the fact that he was completely out classed, I can forgive.

But please for the love of God, whether its Allah, Jesus or the Elephant Dude with 6 arms (forget his name - Ganesh maybe?)

CHANGE YOUR f*cking SIGNATURE IT'S DOING MY f*cking HEAD IN!!!!

Cheers. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:42 pm

OhhhGa wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:Ahhhhh right, it appears to be one of those terrible programmes on Channel 4 (I watched one about the EDL a while back) that is blatantly trying to evoke and incite racial intolerance. Think of the producers as those kids in the playground shouting "Fight! Fight! Fight!".

It's a cack-handed attempt at creating a debate, I agree, but don't you think that some areas have got a problem with racial intolerance in the UK?

Yeah I think there are issues, however these are exacerbated by the economic climate and the media. That's just my opinion though!

Agreed. Any solution or do we just hope that it sorts itself out without any tangible intervention?

Hmmm. Well from what I've read and seen, the two major problems seem to be ignorance and a severe lack of communication.

The ignorance being from both sides, from the indigenous 'Brits' towards new and alien cultures, and these 'aliens' towards British customs and traditions. It's up to the Home/Foreign Office to devise an effective scheme to counter this problem, however the use of leaflets and other educational literature could work when given to new immigrants on arrival (in their native language of course). Simply outlining basic British customs, the general view on different religions, and how to respect social norms and avoid any clangers or 'faux pas' so to speak. Equally, it's quite shameful how little (myself included!) understand about different religions and cultures. What initially appears strange and often scary is usually little more than religious custom, and education (especially in areas with a high percentage of relevent ethnic minorities) could prove invaluable.

In terms of communication, how often do indigenous residents talk to their minority counterparts? Yes, both sides may appear unwilling initially however, when it comes to racial tensions, communication should really be advised before (as you've said) any simmering feelings make an ugly entrance. Where? Community centres, town halls, on the street it really doesn't matter. However if local councils promoted a monthly meeting for residents of any given area to voice their concerns (privately or publicly) it would do alot to dispel the divisions and avoid anyone taking their feelings out through violence or verbal intimidation which has occured in areas such as Bradford. Positive communication can work, in my opinion at least.

However, I'm no politician or councillor, so we'll allow their fine minds to concoct an apt solution ;)

Nice one, G. I'm not sure about trusting politicians, mind!

:lol: