Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

It's looking to me like

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:06 pm

When we move a player or a couple of players out, we then bring in new ones. I honestly think this squad needs to be a lot bigger than last season if we are to go up in the top two places like Vincent Tan has said he wants and has promised.
The squad is far to small and not enough quality players yet.
Any opinions.

Re: It's looking to me like

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Forever Blue wrote:When we move a player or a couple of players out, we then bring in new ones. I honestly think this squad needs to be a lot bigger than last season if we are to go up in the top two places like Vincent Tan has said he wantsand has promised.
Any opinions.

If Kim-bo, Bellamy and millers replacement comes in - that will add the quality we need wont it? :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Still time yet Annis.

Wait and see what we have when the window closes. ;)

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:09 pm

We're getting rid of the lesser quality players and bringing in excellent quality players! Malky will have a lot of quality to choose from, if I'm correct Malky will be able to choose 9 midfielders if Kim, Bellamy and Buszaky signs. You said Gerrard, Taiwo,Keinan and Earnie need to go, well we're doing that, we're getting rid of the players who won't feature(Bar Miller, he'd have featured) and bringing in younger, hungrier players. In Malky We Trust! :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:09 pm

glammy74 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:When we move a player or a couple of players out, we then bring in new ones. I honestly think this squad needs to be a lot bigger than last season if we are to go up in the top two places like Vincent Tan has said he wantsand has promised.
Any opinions.

If Kim-bo, Bellamy and millers replacement comes in - that will add the quality we need wont it? :ayatollah:

Liam, Yes in those positions fantastic, but still weak in others.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:When we move a player or a couple of players out, we then bring in new ones. I honestly think this squad needs to be a lot bigger than last season if we are to go up in the top two places like Vincent Tan has said he wants.
Any opinions.

Yes but dont forget Annis Malky didnt use several of those squad players last season whereas now he is beginning to build his own squad and will utilise all of them through the season. U think about the number of first team squad that didnt have a game or barely any game time and most have been or will be shipped out to be replaced by better players who will get game time. Looking far more positive to me and the transfer windows not over yet lol, more to come in I'm sure. However I do agree we need to increase the size of the squad by 3 or 4 :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:When we move a player or a couple of players out, we then bring in new ones. I honestly think this squad needs to be a lot bigger than last season if we are to go up in the top two places like Vincent Tan has said he wants and has promised.
Any opinions.

Definitely. The present squad is still too small, in my opinion, but we'll hopefully have more players before we kick off against Huddersfield.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:11 pm

It is still somewhat early in pre-season.
Hopefully this Korean lad signs soon and we pick up another 1-2 by the end of July.

In addition I am hoping to see Kadeem Harris play in the friendlys to see what he can offer as well as Joe Ralls kicking on a bit.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:11 pm

It's still early days, who knows who will sign next!

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:12 pm

ihatealiens wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:When we move a player or a couple of players out, we then bring in new ones. I honestly think this squad needs to be a lot bigger than last season if we are to go up in the top two places like Vincent Tan has said he wants.
Any opinions.

Yes but dont forget Annis Malky didnt use several of those squad players last season whereas now he is beginning to build his own squad and will utilise all of them through the season. U think about the number of first team squad that didnt have a game or barely any game time and most have been or will be shipped out to be replaced by better players who will get game time. Looking far more positive to me and the transfer windows not over yet lol, more to come in I'm sure. However I do agree we need to increase the size of the squad by 3 or 4 :ayatollah:

I agree about the number of players never used. I rated Miller as a quality player, but never had the service or a partner, he was left on his own up front match after match.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:
Any opinions.

I agree about the number of players never used. I rated Miller as a quality player, but never had the service or a partner, he was left on his own up front match after match.

Miller was a good team player Annis but a bit too shot shy for me particularly towards the end of the season :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Forever Blue wrote:When we move a player or a couple of players out, we then bring in new ones. I honestly think this squad needs to be a lot bigger than last season if we are to go up in the top two places like Vincent Tan has said he wants and has promised.
Any opinions.

When did VT promise us promotion? :?

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:24 pm

With the players we are linked with I think we will have a good enough squad and players to cover in every position. Looking forward to seeing the new team in action. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:27 pm

totally agree however like people have said it looks like MM is replacing players who he sees as not part of his plans with players who are.

The squad is too small. And has been for a couple of years which I do believe is the reason why we have failed at the final hurdle the last couple of seasons. Fatigue sets in regardless how fit you are.

But for eg, last season MM didn't trust the playes who weren't figuring to be able to step up and keep us in the play off chase while resting the others.

He doesn't come across as a stupid man. I'm sure he will have recognised this and will be looking for a squad of maybe 18 he can call on at any time, with the other 7 being youth team players hoping to get soem first team minutes as & when. Last year he mainly used 12/13 tops while only having 5 on the bench he couldn't bring through the youth. That will change this season. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:28 pm

If we could get Keogh in and another versatile defender, (primarily a LB) along with Kimbo, Bellers and a big decent CF - I would seriously expect us to be challenging at the top of the table for the whole season.

Big signings come with a certain amount of expectation from the fans and owners, despite the decent teams in the Championship this season :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
Any opinions.

It is part of his 'Vision' ;)

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:31 pm

For me, after we've hopefully signed Kim and Bellamy we still need another 3 or 4 players to fill out the squad.

Bellers is a class act but wont play every game - especially two a week.

I also think players like Mason, Rudy and Kadeem will offer more this season but we still need a few clever signings to offer strength in depth.

THEN, I think we'll be a right handful :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Any opinions.

Toally agree - we need 25 players to have a good enough squad.
I'm not overly worried about lack of transfers yet though

Due to the euros none of the premiership teams have made any signicant transfers yet.
Championship teams usually have what the premiership doesnt want or are surplus to requirements in their squads so could be a few more weeks yet.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:46 pm

Any opinions.

Completely agree Annis. We need a better squad than the likes of Leicester and Bolton and can anyone honestly say we do?

What worries me more is people saying we have signed definate quality when they havent even seen them play before.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:57 pm

RoathMagic wrote:
Any opinions.

Completely agree Annis. We need a better squad than the likes of Leicester and Bolton and can anyone honestly say we do?

What worries me more is people saying we have signed definate quality when they havent even seen them play before.

I trust the recruitment policy malky has installed. He wouldnt waste money on a player he had no belief in

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:59 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
glammy74 wrote:
Any opinions.

Liam, Yes in those positions fantastic, but still weak in others.

Annis which positions do you think we're weakest in?

As far as i can see, if all these signings come off we just need maybe another centre back and left back :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:00 pm

This is a partial copy of a week old post of mine:

Only 19 squad member played more than 10 games in all comps. only 12 players made more than 15 league starts

5 of those 19 Cardiff players who played more than 10 games hadn't ever played in the league before.

Squad depth is the main thing and we have to improve

At the moment it's:

GK: 3
FB: 3
CB: 4
CM: 5
Wing: 4 (Including Harris and Kim)
Forward: 5 (not taking away Miller)

So 25 players not a bad amount But with an 18 days match squad it allows for only a few injuries. So depth still an issue, and it isn't balanced

If we lose Miller, Gerrard, Earnshaw and Keinan we're down to 21 players, only 3 injuries before it effects the match day 18.

So we need players in the right areas. Having Bellamy brings us another winger and another forward and makes 5 wingers. We'd need 2 CB's. Although If we get Keogh it'd only be one and FB's would be ok.

Then bringing in another forward, preferably someone who's tall and competitive in the air, but not at the expense of mobility.

That'd bump us to:

GK: 3
FB: 4
CB: 3
CM: 5
Wing:5
Forward 4

25 Players a far more competitive squad. I'd rather another CB, or use Keogh as a CB and bring in another full back.

26 is about the golden number for me. Assuming you get the right players in for an all round competitive squad, which I believe we are doing.

We have Blake, (maybe) Keogh, Whittingham, Kim, Cowie, Mason and (maybe) Bellamy who can play in two or three positions allowing change in game and cover when needed.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:01 pm

The thing is, to talk about numbers can be quite misleading.

Last season we had Taiwo, Keinan, Naylor, Gerrard (from Feb onwards), Harris, Parkin, Earnshaw who hardly palyed a game and, arguably, probably quite rightly.

If we were to replace those players, or at least 4 of them, with players who could just slot in and play a valuable part in more or a rotation situation than just covering for injuries/suspension then surely we'd be in a better position.

It's not the numbers alone but also the number of games each of the squad plays. Last season Malky probably decided that even a knackered Gunnarsson was better than a fit Taiwo :lol: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:11 pm

Any opinions.

I think that if we secured Bellamy on a 2/3 year deal then that could be the catalyst for more signings in the loan window and especially january, youngsters might want to come here to learn off him, players would look at him as being Premiership quality (everyone knows how good he is) and would love to work with him. With Bellamy I think more teams will be intimidated by us again, as they were when we had Bellamy before. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Any opinions.

With the exception of Miller, who I rate highly, I think that Malky is replacing mediocrity with quality, so I'm more than happy with the way things are going. If we get Bellamy, Kimbo and Keogh I think we need 3-4 more on top of those....another 2 defenders (as we have lost /will lose Naylor, Quinn, Keinan and Gerrard) a target man and possibly another winger. And if Earnie goes we will need 2 strikers :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:50 pm

Why do people rate Leicester so much? They've sold two top CBs in Mills and Bamba and also released Tunchev, their midfield/attack is quite poor and they did shit last season, don't think they've signed anyone of note this year either.

I tihnk the problem last year wasn't the depth but the quality of depth, we had players like Parkin, Keinan, Quinn, Ralls, Earnshaw, Harris etc. but they weren't good enough to come in and replace the first team players regularly. This year we are replacing the first teamers with better people and then the first teamers go to the bench as they are good enough for cover.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:29 pm

Sorry to see Kenny Miller go. He scored a lot of goals in the first half of the season, and is a good player. Always worked hard, but left alone up front. He did miss a few chances, but so does any striker. Things seem to be ticking along, transfer wise, but no 'marquee' signing yet, like Nolan at WHU. We need one or two to lift morale.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:32 pm

Any opinions.

Annis do you know who we have in mind for millers replacement? If so is it an excitIng signing? And do you think we will get him? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:57 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
Any opinions.

It is part of his 'Vision' ;)

I'd be disappointed if it wasn't part of his vision Tony, but I'm pretty certain that whilst he may well want to finish in the automatic places, he's not promised anybody that we'll definitely finish there, unless I missed one of his remote press releases! :? :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:49 pm

This scenario has been the case for many years & seasons at city. I can recall Alan Cork & Lennie Lawrence comments regarding moving player[s] on in order to accommodate new ones.

Interesting what is Rob Earnshaws position at our club now Kenny Miller has left?

Is Solomon Taiwo moving to Southend?? [crazy four year contract].

Which leaves Gerrard & Keinan :?: