Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Someone hit my car while parked advice please

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:59 pm

4 month old Golf parked in a car park in Witney and some toerag smashed into it and left it with no note or anything.

What's the best course of action. My excess is £250 and I have 2 protected claims in a 3 year period. Can I do anything about this or is it just tough luck?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Someone hit my car while parked advice please

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:11 pm

Check if the carpark got security cameras! Should have, but if not, depending on what type of carpark it is, the owners of the carpark might be liable for any damage coursed in there care.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Without any third party details your insurance will not be able to recover the costs ot your claim. So you will lose life of your NCB protection.

get a qoute and depending on how much the repairs are over your excess will tell you if if it worth claiming or not.

whether you claim or not your insurance will rate on the fact you told them about the incident.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:34 pm

My advice is this-

Get a quote to repair the damage out of your own pocket before claiming on your insurance, even though your policy is protected it won't stop your premium increasing when it time for renewal.

If you gotta folk out now to pay for the repair you might well save money long term due to future cost increases plus the excess payment.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Are you on about Witney in Oxfordshire?

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Fish wrote:Are you on about Witney in Oxfordshire?

Aye.

David Cameron's constituency and Police Station closed until Tuesday. Tut tut.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:45 pm

maccydee wrote:4 month old Golf parked in a car park in Witney and some toerag smashed into it and left it with no note or anything.

What's the best course of action. My excess is £250 and I have 2 protected claims in a 3 year period. Can I do anything about this or is it just tough luck?

Some good advice above which you might think about. The only problem is a 4 month old Golf will probably cost a fortune to repair even if the damage is minimal.

I have never had protected NCB insurance but surely you can claim on that without penalty, isn't that why they sell it?

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:50 pm

My wife reserved my brand new Focus into a wall, I claimed on the insurance, when I checked it out after the repair bill was only £375, I paid £200 excess, I'm still suffering a couple of years later from higher premiums all for a lousy £175

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Happened to me on January, police were a waste of space. £2k of damage so had to go down the excess route and lost 2 of my 3 years NCB. Traded it in last month, got a little Corsa with a years free insurance though.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:57 pm

how bad is the damage

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:29 pm

maccydee wrote:4 month old Golf parked in a car park in Witney and some toerag smashed into it and left it with no note or anything.

Get a mate in a hire car and ask him to say he backed into you( you could also claim to be init at the time oh no WHIPLASH as well)

Get a mate who drives a company van and offer him £150 to say he backed into you( you could also claim to be init at the time oh no WHIPLASH as well)

or take it on the chin

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:30 pm

bluebird1972 wrote:

Get a mate in a hire car and...... use your imagination( you could also claim to be init at the time oh no WHIPLASH as well)

Get a mate who drives a company van and offer him £150 to say he backed into you( you could also claim to be init at the time oh no WHIPLASH as well)

or take it on the chin

f**k me im living a sheltered life.......

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Gavlar wrote:
bluebird1972 wrote:

Get a mate in a hire car and...... use your imagination( you could also claim to be init at the time oh no WHIPLASH as well)

or take it on the chin

f**k me im living a sheltered life.......

No just Treharris :lol:

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:17 pm

maccydee wrote:

Aye.

I used to be based down the road from there at Brize, I know a few coppers in the Thames Valley. They used to sit a room and watch the CCTV footage, there will definitely be something on footage as there are loads of cameras in town and around the car parks. Where abouts in town were you parked? I'd contact TVP and ask if someone was on watch when it happened, the answer should be yes!!

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Fish wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Aye.

I used to be based down the road from there at Brize, I know a few coppers in the Thames Valley. They used to sit a room and watch the CCTV footage, there will definitely be something on footage as there are loads of cameras in town and around the car parks. Where abouts in town were you parked? I'd contact TVP and ask if someone was on watch when it happened, the answer should be yes!!

Woolgate parking centre. Hope so mate.