Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

RESEARCHING "ETIEN VELIKONJA" ONLINE.....

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:48 am

For anyone interested in finding out a little bit more on our new striker, He's a fairly decent addition for any squad...

He wasn't a starter of every game in 2011/12 season he came on in (mostly) 2nd half of games 9 times for NK Maribor this term (so far) - although featuring in 2392 minutes (26.6 games) in league and cup, he has a very good scoring record with a total of 22 goals(so far). which will give a Game to Goal ratio of 82.7%

He is part of a devastating strike force for their team as strike partner Dalibor Volas has also scored 17 goals so far this term. (although we have to take into consideration that they do play in a weaker league than the championship)

I'm not one hundred percent sure when their season starts and ends, or how it works tbh honest, it's quite confusing when looking through their website! :lol: although I will say that NK Maribor in those last 26 games mentioned have only been beaten once and drawn four games. So he certainly has the winning mentality in him!

If he only scored half as many times than what he manages now then a 40% game to goal conversion rate in our league would return him 18 goals. (excluding cup games) and judging he plays 90 mins for 46 games. (very unlikely)

But as we know anything can happen in a first season in the championship....

Personally I think he will be a hit with city fans, judging on his stats.

Welcome to the Club Etien! :ayatollah:

Re: RESEARCHING "ETIEN VELIKONJA" ONLINE.....

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:01 am

Merlin wrote:For anyone interested in finding out a little bit more on our new striker, He's a fairly decent addition for any squad...

He wasn't a starter of every game in 2011/12 season he came on in (mostly) 2nd half of games 9 times for NK Maribor this term (so far) - although featuring in 2392 minutes (26.6 games) in league and cup, he has a very good scoring record with a total of 22 goals(so far). which will give a Game to Goal ratio of 82.7%

He is part of a devastating strike force for their team as strike partner Dalibor Volas has also scored 17 goals so far this term. (although we have to take into consideration that they do play in a weaker league than the championship)

I'm not one hundred percent sure when their season starts and ends, or how it works tbh honest, it's quite confusing when looking through their website! :lol: although I will say that NK Maribor in those last 26 games mentioned have only been beaten once and drawn four games. So he certainly has the winning mentality in him!

If he only scored half as many times than what he manages now then a 40% game to goal conversion rate in our league would return him 18 goals. (excluding cup games) and judging he plays 90 mins for 46 games. (very unlikely)

But as we know anything can happen in a first season in the championship....

Personally I think he will be a hit with city fans, judging on his stats.

Welcome to the Club Etien! :ayatollah:

cheers merlin,

i have to admit, im still feeling a little unsure over our new international friend, but it wasnt just a signing out of the blue, they have been watching him for some time and i trust they know what theyve got.. it will be a massive jump up in standards however he has played in european competition for them.
lets hope he settles quickly and gets us some goals, although i think we will need to give him time..

i still think that we will need another striker, if miller is to leave, it leaves us short, i would hope we could bring in an already established player who has a proven track record and can add some quality upfront....

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:10 am

If Miller goes, I'm sure Bellamy will fill his spot allright.... :D

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:13 am

Merlin wrote:If Miller goes, I'm sure Bellamy will fill his spot allright.... :D

agree, didnt want to chuck his name in though, as even if we do manage to get bellamy, i feel we will still need another striker.. bellamy wont be able to play 40-50 games, gestade is not good enough and cant see earnie featuring much either..

personally id like to keep miller for another season..... he can pick out a nice pass and im sure with bellamys clever runs he will be able to find him.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:13 am

The season began yesterday. His club are reigning champions and won yesterday 2-0.

Velikoja was subbed off in the 2nd half.

He is playing 3 more games for Maribor before he joins us. One league game next Saturday and two Champions League qualifiers this Wednesday and next. Let's hope he doesn't get injured.

At least he is match fit and ready to go.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:19 am

Wayne S wrote:The season began yesterday. His club are reigning champions and won yesterday 2-0.

Velikoja was subbed off in the 2nd half.

He is playing 3 more games for Maribor before he joins us. One league game next Saturday and two Champions League qualifiers this Wednesday and next. Let's hope he doesn't get injured.

At least he is match fit and ready to go.

match fit is right! if hes already playing footbal before arriving, he should be a yard or 2 up on the others, he should also be a little sharper... can only benefit us..

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:31 am

Here's a Velikonja hat-trick. Goals 1, 2 & 6

http://www.nkmaribor.com/tekmovanja/prv ... tekme=8720

Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:16 am

Rekon he'll enjoy playing in front of 24k first game of season!

Are you dressed as empty seats.............. Lol

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:07 pm

arent you all forgetting mason ;) :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:37 pm

ANDYBLUE wrote:arent you all forgetting mason ;) :ayatollah:

No. As this thread is not about Mason.