Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Kim ready for Cardiff switch

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:29 am

The player's agent recently confirmed that the Bluebirds are in pole position to sign the South Korea international for a fee of around £2.4 million.

Celtic are reportedly keen on signing Kim as well but the 22 year-old is already preparing for life in the Championship this season.

"(The Championship) is known for its physical play but I'll be ready for it. Ki (Sung-yueng of Celtic) has been giving me valuable advice to help me settle in," he said in the Japanese and South Korean media.

Other options

"Learning the English language is a top priority for me and I'll do my best to fit in with the other players."

The midfielder revealed that the opportunity to play regular first-team football was the main motivator for choosing Cardiff, but admitted that his long-term plans may lie elsewhere.

"There are other teams in Europe but we agreed on Cardiff City," said Kim.

"The next step is to play well for the team but Cardiff will not be my first and only club in Europe."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/7900822/

Re: Kim ready for Cardiff switch

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:31 am

Sounds like a done deal as these are quotes from the player saying he has chosen us :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:32 am

Wow, I'm so relieved and happy to hear this, sounds like a real gem with the German champs after him!!

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:35 am

I hope he does sign but you don't half get the feeling he is using us to tout himself around.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:35 am

I was thinking that :roll:

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:37 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I hope he does sign but you don't half get the feeling he is using us to tout himself around.

Agree you do get that feeling but lets see what happens first! The quotes sound promising but also he see's us as a stepping stone to other euro clubs!

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:43 am

Well if we do sign him, and we do become a stepping stone... lets hope we at least
treble our money for the lad. Cant knock him for being honest, and his ambition can
only benefit whoever does sign him.

Who knows though.... we may well be a Premiership Club soon, and the Premiership
might prove to be his level anyway
Last edited by taffyapple on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:44 am

boyo1927 wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:I hope he does sign but you don't half get the feeling he is using us to tout himself around.

Agree you do get that feeling but lets see what happens first! The quotes sound promising but also he see's us as a stepping stone to other euro clubs!

I can't wait for his debut and the canton fans asking him to do the ayatollah and him looking puzzled. Much like vukic :lol: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:49 am

You have to remember that this is an interview that has been translated. Also on many Korean football sites he is being touted as good enough for the top leagues of many european nations and the reporter will be pushing him with questions about such clubs.

Let's be honest, would we expect any player that comes to Cardiff NOT to be motivated to better themselves. I'd rather this sort of outlook than someone coming for cash and a retirement fund.

We aint a big club......yet. :D

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:49 am

There's another thread a few doors down saying Borussia Dortmund are coming in with a better offer and we are set to miss out! Seems like we are being used.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:52 am

It's actually nice to see us signing people young and with a bit of ambition rather than old has beens looking for final pay check!
At least we know he wants to play at the very top and will give 110% to get there. Plus then we will hopefully make a pound on him too if he did decide to move on up.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:53 am

Has Malky mentioned any interest in this kid? Just wondering.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:56 am

We're Cardiff City, we're not Barcelona! Of course players are going to use us as a stepping stone! Players don't join us for Premiership or Champions League football do they. We need to remember our level sometimes and understand and accept that players come and go. As long as he does a good job when he's here and we get a decent profit when he leaves, I'm fine with that.

buckleys brewery wrote:Has Malky mentioned any interest in this kid? Just wondering.

Fair point mate :lol:

I said a couple of weeks ago that Malky could well be using the boards to feed misinformation
himself these days.

Nobody saw Mutch or VelikonJa coming ;)

mr'mogreenz wrote:There's another thread a few doors down saying Borussia Dortmund are coming in with a better offer and we are set to miss out! Seems like we are being used.

To be fair though, if I was trying to tout my way to a club like Dortmund I'd surely use a bigger club than us to put himself about.

I share you view though, once he's signed then I'll get excited. Hope this isn't another Bent, Morris or any of those other wankers who've used us!

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:02 pm

taffyapple wrote:Well if we do sign him, and we do become a stepping stone... lets hope we at least
treble our money for the lad. Cant knock him for being honest, and his ambition can
only benefit whoever does sign him.

Who knows though.... we may well be a Premiership Club soon, and the Premiership
might prove to be his level anyway

Well said! It does seem hes ambitious, but at the same time hes not arrogant like many other players. He seems very keen to learn and develop as a player.....where as other players would jump at the chance to sign for big teams for more money.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:03 pm

Bluebird99 wrote:We're Cardiff City, we're not Barcelona! Of course players are going to use us as a stepping stone! Players don't join us for Premiership or Champions League football do they. We need to remember our level sometimes and understand and accept that players come and go. As long as he does a good job when he's here and we get a decent profit when he leaves, I'm fine with that.

Spot on 100% We are not a massive club like some fans seem to think we are! Bigger than Barcelona :lol:

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:40 pm

If he does sign it won't be until next week I reckon anyway :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:51 pm

Lets be fair to him, He's being honest,
He wants to play at the highest level and is using us as a stepping stone, which is not really a bad thing?
could you blame him when you look at some of the clubs keeping track of him?

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:38 pm

Can't wait to see what he's like as it seems almost certain that he's joining us now, sounds like a very promising player :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:50 pm

I welcome players like this who want to use us as a shop window!

He has to play well in order to gain interest = benefits the team and results.

If he is that good, then European powerhouses will swoop in and get him for what must be minimum 6 mill.

This all ties into the strategy than MM was talking about early last season. :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Are we going to call him Kim-Bo?

Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:25 pm

Karl wrote:Are we going to call him Kim-Bo?

Lets just be basic and call him Dave :lol:

Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:35 pm

Call him Legza.

I see Wiki has been changed already, jumping the gun a bit.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Cardiff City have been noticeably quiet about all this though.

If Bo Peeps agent has been using us to tout his boy for more
money then I would not be at all surprised if Malky turned his
back on it. I'd respect him for that too.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:09 pm

seems him and his agent are using the same tactics eden hazard used to get as much money as they could out of chelsea which worked for them to be fair
i certainly wouldnt be devestated if he went somewhere else

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:02 pm

Wayne S wrote:

Call him Legza.

I see Wiki has been changed already, jumping the gun a bit.

Just dont call him charlie ffs! :o

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:06 pm

Bluebird99 wrote:We're Cardiff City, we're not Barcelona! Of course players are going to use us as a stepping stone! Players don't join us for Premiership or Champions League football do they. We need to remember our level sometimes and understand and accept that players come and go. As long as he does a good job when he's here and we get a decent profit when he leaves, I'm fine with that.

That's a fair point but when you consider how the Mutch and Velikonja transfers were delt with (i.e. no speculation in the press) you do have to wonder if he sees us as an acceptable back stop while really wanting to go else where (Celtic or Germany)

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:09 pm

I'll believe it when I see him at the CCS holding a scarf above his head. Until then I don't think it's going to happen