Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

McPhail

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:01 pm

Nice guy and everything but surely we have moved on since he could make a difference..?

Re: McPhail

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Angry Man wrote:Nice guy and everything but surely we have moved on since he could make a difference..?

Blimey, you are courting controversy today!

:lol:

Personally, I've never thought that he added as much to the team as some other fans think he has.

In my opinion, he's associated with a time when Cardiff City were the nearly men and he's made some errors in games where I expected him to show a bit more composure and professionalism. There have been games where we needed our midfield to dig in and make tackles count and certain players have gone AWOL - him amongst them.

He's not all bad, I just don't think he's as good as some people think he is. I'm not wishing to insult the man at all, because he's had terrible illness to contend with, I'm just giving my opinion of him on the pitch.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:
Angry Man wrote:Nice guy and everything but surely we have moved on since he could make a difference..?

Personally, I've never thought that he added as much to the team as some other fans think he has.

In my opinion, he's associated with a time when Cardiff City were the nearly men and he's made some errors in games where I expected him to show a bit more composure and professionalism. There have been games where we needed our midfield to dig in and make tackles count and certain players have gone AWOL - him amongst them.

He's not all bad, I just don't think he's as good as some people think he is. I'm not wishing to insult the man at all, because he's had terrible illness to contend with, I'm just giving my opinion of him on the pitch.

As horrible as it 'may' sound is he only here because the management know that he 'may' not be able to pass a medical elsewhere..?

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:22 pm

Angry Man wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:

As horrible as it 'may' sound is he only here because the management know that he 'may' not be able to pass a medical elsewhere..?

Thats alike UKIP are the only party that'll touch you or would have because your a complete & utter failure in politics.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:22 pm

Angry Man wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:

I noticed that Alex Ferguson was quoted today as saying that Darren Fletcher will be found a job within the club (MUFC) if he can't continue playing, due to the illness that he's currently battling. It's unusual for an employer to be so caring, in my experience, but it's heartwarming all the same.

I'm not sure if it's wise for us to keep a squad place for McPhail, if he's struggling with his fitness levels so much. Maybe, we'd be better off following Ferguson's lead. Difficult situation for anyone to deal with - do you go with your heart or your head?

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:11 pm

Hes a tidy player. A "nice" player. Never really seen him dictate a big game. But shines when we have an early goal and the other team leaves spaces for us to counter attack on his passes.

Think he could make a great youth coach. Does everything you want a kid growing up in the youth to do, just a few yards of pace, and possibly a slightly more of a winner and nasty attitude needed.

At best a bench player for us, coming on when we are ahead, not when we are behind

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:14 pm

Ramstein blue wrote:Hes a tidy player. A "nice" player. Never really seen him dictate a big game. But shines when we have an early goal and the other team leaves spaces for us to counter attack on his passes.

Think he could make a great youth coach. Does everything you want a kid growing up in the youth to do, just a few yards of pace, and possibly a slightly more of a winner and nasty attitude needed.

At best a bench player for us, coming on when we are ahead, not when we are behind

Good post.

:thumbup:

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Cheers!

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:19 pm

That's one player I'd like to see stay on at our club in some form of coaching roll, when he finally does hang up his boots! Great roll model and a true pro.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:51 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:That's one player I'd like to see stay on at our club in some form of coaching roll, when he finally does hang up his boots! Great roll model and a true pro.

Definitely, how many kids at 16 are out injured and lose focus. McPhails, fought back from alot worse with his illness. So is the complete package to be a coach cutting his teeth with the youth team, plays the ball on the deck, always kept himself in good shape, and has played at the highest level with champions league and international experience.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:24 pm

when he was called on last season i thought mcphail looked as good as ever ,but relying on someone who cannot manage 90 minutes is clearly not going to work
When macca went off after 60 minutes on a couple of cases last season,he looked completely shattered,gave everything though
think its almost guranteed hell walk into a coaching role with his admirable attitude towards the game

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:52 pm

with his medical issues i would have thought he would have retired this summer

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:18 pm

A great asset to the club. Sadly he can't do it week in week out but when he plays he makes a huge difference to the team.
He will be a bit part player but an important one.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Hes been here for 6 years. The commitment is class and he will always be remembered. Hes made 200 apperances hasnt he? If he havent hes close to it and hope he does. :ayatollah: