Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Formation for next season

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:10 pm

Do you think there be a change of style and formation next season..?

Re: Formation for next season

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:12 pm

I f*cking hope so!

Lets hope we get the flair and attacking style Malky adopted at Watford.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:13 pm

Angry Man wrote:Do you think there be a change of style and formation next season..?

Accepters inside the ground. others outside.
Style will be changed for sure.
:D

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:14 pm

id strongly suspect so, no more one up front hopefully
yep malkys style at watford but with better players in each position would do nicely

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:21 pm

CP76 wrote:I f*cking hope so!

Lets hope we get the flair and attacking style Malky adopted at Watford.

Agree, no more 4-5-1 at home against bottom 3 teams :lol: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Angry Man wrote:Do you think there be a change of style and formation next season..?

Adam, i'm loving your new policy today. Starting threads about football instead of talking bollocks will score you points on a football messageboard. Keep up the good work councillor ;)

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:24 pm

CityGent wrote:

Adam, i'm loving your new policy today. Starting threads about football instead of talking bollocks will score you points on a football messageboard. Keep up the good work councillor ;)

Ahh ex-councillor thank you very much ;)

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:26 pm

Potential match day squad I guess.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:52 pm

RFMH wrote:Image

is that our away team?? :D

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:59 pm

I would say Mutch for Mason and Conway for Kim can't see us signing him now that his agent seems to be touting him around :(

However if we get Bellamy & Keogh keep Miller plus add one more winger hopefully Kim or AN Other then we are looking a lot stronger than last season certainly more depth and don't forget Harris, Ralls and McPhail :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Is it confirmed that we all have 7 subs this season then?

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:12 pm

CCFC_Lad wrote:Is it confirmed that we all have 7 subs this season then?

I believe it is, yes

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Quality news! :D

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:10 pm

anything but 4-5-1.
would like 4-4-2/4-1-2-1-2 or 4-1-3-2
wouldn't mind 4-3-3 if got bellamy and kim bo aslong as we got rid of miller as he is shit and wouldn't be good in that formation.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Nothing wrong with 4-5-1 as long as you have pace out wide.

I think MM will go for two upfront if he gets the players he wants.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:38 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Nothing wrong with 4-5-1 as long as you have pace out wide.

in 4-4-2 he's gunna have a hell of a time leaving people out.

Kim isn't being signed for what £2+ million? to sit on a bench.

Bellamy is Bellamy so Cowie and Conway may find it tough to get on the bench, then there is Harris.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:58 pm

RFMH wrote:

in 4-4-2 he's gunna have a hell of a time leaving people out.

Kim isn't being signed for what £2+ million? to sit on a bench.

Bellamy is Bellamy so Cowie and Conway may find it tough to get on the bench, then there is Harris.

Tbh I think we will see a mix of formations.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:07 pm

blueheaven wrote:

I would say Mutch for Mason and Conway for Kim can't see us signing him now that his agent seems to be touting him around :(

However if we get Bellamy & Keogh keep Miller plus add one more winger hopefully Kim or AN Other then we are looking a lot stronger than last season certainly more depth and don't forget Harris, Ralls and McPhail :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Think you'd have to switch Mason and Mutch mate - Joe ain't a centre mid.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:36 pm

....................................Marshall.......................................

Keogh.............Hudson ...................Turner..............McNaughton

...................Gunnarson.......................Mutch.......................

Kim............................Whittingham............................Bellamy

..................................Velikonja........................................

subs: Lewis, Conway, Taylor, Miller, Gestede, Harris, Mason

If we sign Keogh, then I'd switch Kev over to the left and have Taylor on the bench. If Kev doesn't improve his distribution however I could easily see him warming the bench (which would be a shame).
Ultimately I think Darcy will be looking for a new Club, McPhail will retire and Rolls will suffer a bit part/cup games unless injury allows him near the match day squad.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:51 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:36 pm

it can even work if the wide men aren,t rapid.a high line is required then to condense the pitch.we did it in the carling cup final v arsenal for an hour till we get knackered and went back to mcliesh,s number one option of having the centre halfs being in spitting distance of the goalie :D

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:38 pm

Northamptonblues wrote:....................................Marshall.......................................

..................................Velikonja........................................

If we sign Keogh, then I'd switch Kev over to the left and have Taylor on the bench. If Kev doesn't improve his distribution however I could easily see him warming the bench (which would be a shame).
Ultimately I think Darcy will be looking for a new Club, McPhail will retire and Rolls will suffer a bit part/cup games unless injury allows him near the match day squad.

thats where mutch should play.not out wide.can play in front of c/h,s too in a sitting role but prob a bit of a waste

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:38 pm

jtc wrote:

it can even work if the wide men aren,t rapid.a high line is required then to condense the pitch.we did it in the carling cup final v arsenal for an hour till we get knackered and went back to mcliesh,s number one option of having the centre halfs being in spitting distance of the goalie :D

In fairness we played 4-5-1 most of last season with players who lacked pace and we reached the play/offs and a Carling Cup final. But to progress in the league I honestly believe we need players who can give us pace but also give us the width we lacked.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:41 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
jtc wrote:

In fairness we played 4-5-1 most of last season with players who lacked pace and we reached the play/offs and a Carling Cup final. But to progress in the league I honestly believe we need players who can give us pace but also give us the width we lacked.

Yes, sir. The team was crying out for pace. Let's hope we've rectified that for the new season.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:42 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
jtc wrote:

yes i watched ccfc a bit on t.v and i always thought a bit of pace ,wide areas in the main and a few more players with a trick wouldn,t go a miss.too narrow at times.that,s good defensively but needed more width offensively.if mm attacked a bit at watford then he,ll have an idea how to make you more expansive.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Even when Conway played it helped, he doesn't have pace but gives width and hell of a cross on him.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Northamptonblues wrote:....................................Marshall.......................................

Bugger... just realised that I haven't included either Cowie or Kiss in that line up. :roll:
Here's the revised version (including the supposed Bellers delay)

.......................................Marshall.................................

McNaughton...........Hudson....................Turner.............Taylor

..................................Mutch/Gunnarson...........................

....Kim...........................Whittingham..............Conway/Harris

......................Velikonja...............Mason/Gestede................

Subs: Lewis, Conway/Harris, Mason, Gestede, Cowie, Kiss, Mutch/Gunnarson, Blake

no matter what formation I try I can't seem to fathom out a Mutch + Gunnarson partnership without losing a striker?
Not sure that MM's long ball tactics of January onwards last season will work without 2 upfront.