Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Malky Mackay Thrilled With Signing Of Etien Velikonja!

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:44 pm

Malky Mackay thrilled with signing of striker Etien Velikonja!

MALKY MACKAY believes he has landed a striker who can fire the goals in Cardiff City’s promotion push after capturing Slovenian centre-forward Etien Velikonja in a £1m deal.

Buy Tickets to Sports Events on Ebay

Velikonja, rated the best young talent in Slovenia, joins the Bluebirds having fired 20 goals in 46 league matches for champions NK Maribor.

He completed his move to South Wales yesterday, Mackay’s determination to scour the world for top talent coming to fruition.

Manager Mackay got his man on a four-year contract after revealing he had been tracking him for two years.

“I almost took him to Watford, but the move broke down,” said the City boss.

“We have keenly followed his progress since then with interest and I am delighted he is joining our squad.

“He is a goalscorer who has played international football for his country and another talented young player with genuine potential.

“We are really excited to be bringing in an international striker. We thought the time was right to bring him to the UK and I’m looking forward to seeing his career continue to develop with Cardiff City.”

Velikonja, though, first has two more matches to play for Slovenian champions NK Maribor in the Uefa Champions League before linking up with the Bluebirds.

Maribor face Bosnian side FK Zeljeznicar of over two legs of a qualifying match and the Slovenians are insisting their goal ace plays to help get them through to the next round.

As such, Velikonja will miss City’s pre-season trip to Switzerland, starting on Sunday. The second leg of Maribor’s Champions League tie is on July 25.

Maribor describe Velikonja as “the most sought-after player in Slovenia” and say: “He has been under the scrutiny of foreign scouts who have been impressed by his explosive speed and ability.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -31382992/

Re: Malky Mackay Thrilled With Signing Of Etien Velikonja!

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:52 pm

Made my day this signing did! Great to see the manager come out and say hes extremley chuffed! Some managers dont do that! :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:58 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Made my day this signing did! Great to see the manager come out and say hes extremley chuffed! Some managers dont do that! :ayatollah:

I like the way the signings seem out of the blue.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:02 am

DandoCCFC wrote:Made my day this signing did! Great to see the manager come out and say hes extremley chuffed! Some managers dont do that! :ayatollah:

Will you please stop inserting exclamation marks at the end of every sentence, as it's my signature and trait on here?

I've already had Cwmann-Bluebird criticising me for my crap grammar and I don't want anybody else to feel his wrath as well! ;) :) :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:04 am

2blue2handle wrote:

That's the way it should be though Luke, as there's been far too many leaks coming out of our club in particular over the past few seasons, which may well have cost us some signings! :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:07 am

Overthemoon I want to follow in your footsteps! ;) :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:08 am

Overthemoon wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

That's the way it should be though Luke, as there's been far too many leaks coming out of our club in particular over the past few seasons, which may well have cost us some signings! :ayatollah:

Indeed and I done blame the people who post em, like Carl etc but people at the club giving the info should have been more professional. Maybe things are getting tighter maybe people are just being more careful what they post I dunno.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:08 am

DandoCCFC wrote:Overthemoon I want to follow in your footsteps! ;) :ayatollah:

You're welcome mate, but I felt that I had to warn you, as Cwmann-Bluebird is a hard man to please! :) :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:13 am

2blue2handle wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Indeed and I done blame the people who post em, like Carl etc but people at the club giving the info should have been more professional. Maybe things are getting tighter maybe people are just being more careful what they post I dunno.

You're right about the information being divulged in the first place Luke, but to be fair to Carl and some other posters who've had privileged information over the past year or so, the more sensitive information concerning player's names being linked to us etc., have been purposely witheld by them, which is also the way it should be IMO!

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:16 am

I hope he dont notice then! :lol: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:17 am

Overthemoon wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

You're right about the information being divulged in the first place Luke, but to be fair to Carl and some other posters who've had privileged information over the past year or so, the more sensitive information concerning player's names being linked to us etc., have been purposely witheld by them, which is also the way it should be IMO!

Oh yes totally agree, Annis and Carl have more info than try release.
Annis knew about Mutch before it was announced but didn't post it. Not a dig at them at all :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:21 am

DandoCCFC wrote:I hope he dont notice then! :lol: :ayatollah:

Schhhhhhh! :) :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:21 am

2blue2handle wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Oh yes totally agree, Annis and Carl have more info than try release.
Annis knew about Mutch before it was announced but didn't post it. Not a dig at them at all :ayatollah:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:14 am

Does this mean he'll be cup tied and won't be able to play in the Champions league for us this season?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Just goes to show dunnit :D the inner circle dont know jack shit