Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City academy

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:07 pm

Just arrived back from the CCFC in the community with my 5yr old son. They mentioned next season the academy to have a new Under 5 and Under 6 section in the development stage, training them twice a week. This will be a replica of the Barcelona model of junior football. This might have already been mentioned already but interesting all the same. The academy going from strength to strength hopefully

Re: Cardiff City academy

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:10 pm

CityGent wrote:Just arrived back from the CCFC in the community with my 5yr old son. They mentioned next season the academy to have a new Under 5 and Under 6 section in the development stage, training them twice a week. This will be a replica of the Barcelona model of junior football. This might have already been mentioned already but interesting all the same. The academy going from strength to strength hopefully

That's great news. The modern world comes to CCFC. It wasn't like this in Clemo's day, eh?!!

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:13 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:
CityGent wrote:Just arrived back from the CCFC in the community with my 5yr old son. They mentioned next season the academy to have a new Under 5 and Under 6 section in the development stage, training them twice a week. This will be a replica of the Barcelona model of junior football. This might have already been mentioned already but interesting all the same. The academy going from strength to strength hopefully

That's great news. The modern world comes to CCFC. It wasn't like this in Clemo's day, eh?!!

Under 6 academy? The best we had was kicking the ball against the wall at the end of the street :-)

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:13 pm

Great news that :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :D

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:22 pm

CityGent wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:

Under 6 academy? The best we had was kicking the ball against the wall at the end of the street :-)

:lol:

Or kicking the door at Red Dragon Travel and cursing him!

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:

Atleast Clemo had a plane to fly players to away games, even though it would only fit 10.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:49 pm

RichardBluebird wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:

Atleast Clemo had a plane to fly players to away games, even though it would only fit 10.

He once had a yacht - whoops, the less said about that, the better!

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Great news :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:09 pm

My 6 year old is in the Cardiff City prep squad over here in North Somerset :ayatollah: They do start them young nowadays!

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:14 pm

skywalker wrote:My 6 year old is in the Cardiff City prep squad over here in North Somerset :ayatollah: They do start them young nowadays!

Well done. My boy is still very new to the game but he's enjoying it more and more everytime he plays. One or two of them there are exceptional. The natural ability is frightening, but good news for the City!

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:40 pm

CityGent wrote:
skywalker wrote:My 6 year old is in the Cardiff City prep squad over here in North Somerset :ayatollah: They do start them young nowadays!

Well done. My boy is still very new to the game but he's enjoying it more and more everytime he plays. One or two of them there are exceptional. The natural ability is frightening, but good news for the City!

The Cardiff City Academy is very well respected over here and a lot if parents would rarther their kids travelled to south Wales than join the Bristol City Academy, which by all accounts isn't that well run. You are right about the natural ability, I have seen some 5 and 6 year olds who were clearly born with skill, the task for the academy is to keep them developing and that's where the prep squads and development centres will help. When my lad trains with the prep squad it's all skills no matches, ball control and passing and I have seen a massive difference in the kids over the last year. He played in an under 8s match the other day and he didn't look out of place at all. Good luck to your boy :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Excellent news.

There really seems to be a plan at the City, and a determination to move up to a new level. This can only be good!

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:53 pm

Its great to see future plans being made! :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:56 pm

Don't think I even had a ball at 6 :lol:
Red top aside the club finally seems to be setting a proper long term infastructure.