Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Marshall

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:47 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6LfKDCmIMk

Apologies if already posted, shows some great saves he pulled off this season.

Re: Marshall

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:58 pm

Still prefer Heaton.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:01 pm

marshall is a top championship keeper and i can see why he started over heaton

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:09 pm

Joe lewis is some keeper mind marshall not a cert for is place this season

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:29 pm

thomas9990 wrote:marshall is a top championship keeper and i can see why he started over heaton

Agree, not knocking Heaton but I feel to many people jumped on the Carling Cup shootouts bandwagon, dont forget Heaton wasn't exactly faultless himself, he could've equally have cost us a place at Wembley when he went flapping in the box for the Gardner goal @ Selhurst Park.

With the exception of his kicking I would argue Marshall is better in most goalkeeping departments!

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:10 pm

SeanJr wrote:
thomas9990 wrote:marshall is a top championship keeper and i can see why he started over heaton

Agree, not knocking Heaton but I feel to many people jumped on the Carling Cup shootouts bandwagon, dont forget Heaton wasn't exactly faultless himself, he could've equally have cost us a place at Wembley when he went flapping in the box for the Gardner goal @ Selhurst Park.

With the exception of his kicking I would argue Marshall is better in most goalkeeping departments!

i can still remember when he game that goal away agins watford

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:14 pm

Agreed.

Heaton was a top number 2 but delighted with our number 1

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:30 pm

I still think Heaton is the better keeper who will only get better and better. It was a huge mistake for us not to play Heaton imo. I'm not just jumping on his Carling Cup performances, I think Heaton is just as good a shot stopper as Marshall but is better commanding his box. Heaton is also brighter, buzzier and better at organising the defence. I thought Heaton installed more confidence in the defence as he was more decisive and vocal, but also less hesitant. I've seen marshall and the defence getting into mix ups before and I honestly think there would have been less mix ups with Heaton in goal.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm afraid that even though Marshall pulls off some fantastic saves he scares the hell out of me when a corner get crossed in near to him.

For such a big bloke he should be commanding that area.

Bad on crosses seems to be a regular occurence with our keepers which makes me wonder when we have ever had a really top quality keeper.

We have sold some quality outfield players over the years but have we ever had a real quality keeper on our books
(A keeper who would be a number 1 in the premiership)

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:47 pm

HighXBlue wrote:I'm afraid that even though Marshall pulls off some fantastic saves he scares the hell out of me when a corner get crossed in near to him.

Bad on crosses seems to be a regular occurence with our keepers which makes me wonder when we have ever had a really top quality keeper.

We have sold some quality outfield players over the years but have we ever had a real quality keeper on our books

Of they can shot stop, and collect crosses while demanding their area and defence then they are soon prem keepers.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:52 pm

Good vid...out of interest can anybody remember that joe mason vid that got put up on here by somebody a few months back, showin all his goals, would like to see it again but can't seem to find it on youtube

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:57 pm

HighXBlue wrote:I'm afraid that even though Marshall pulls off some fantastic saves he scares the hell out of me when a corner get crossed in near to him.

Yeh Marshall was quality but had his weakness at commanding the area when crosses/corners came in, both were quality but had their own weaknesses didn't feel Heaton's distribution was very strong. We have seen some shockers recently though like Bywater and that Greek guy from Coventry who played for Swansea, shocking :P

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Biggest cock up of the season coming from a cross has to be for Heaton against palace and that was feom very few games.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:01 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

Of they can shot stop, and collect crosses while demanding their area and defence then they are soon prem keepers.

but have we ever had a keeper that comes close.
I mean - we have sold defenders who made a mark in the premiership. ramsey in midfield and a lesser extent chopra and earnie up front,

but have we ever had a half decent keeper who we think could do a job

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:03 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Biggest cock up of the season coming from a cross has to be for Heaton against palace and that was feom very few games.

I have to agree but I still had more confidence in heaton on crosses even after that

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:05 pm

No but keepers rarely go for big minute especially from champ to prem.
And remember generally a club will have 2 keepers capable (1 of which rarely plays) where as potentially 8+ defenders and 8+ midfielders and at least 4 strikers so potential to find a gem in other positions a lot more likely.
Joe Lewis was one of few keepers who interested prem clubs tho and could have signed for Villa.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:08 pm

true.

i've not seen much of lewis - does anyone think he will make a challenge for the number 1 from marshall

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:20 pm

HighXBlue wrote:true.

i've not seen much of lewis - does anyone think he will make a challenge for the number 1 from marshall

I think he is a decent replacement for Heaton.
Getting a keeper who will most likely start as number two is very hard (hence we lost Heaton).
Lewis has potential but I think he will be number two.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:37 pm

Marshall is so under-rated in this league! my player of the year by far :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:40 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Biggest cock up of the season coming from a cross has to be for Heaton against palace and that was feom very few games.

What about Marshall's howler home to Portsmouth and then Marshall missing the cross which led to Kevin Phillips lobbing him the very next home game? Obviously Heaton was at fault for the Palace goal, but at least he was decisive enough to make the decision and stick to it, instead of being caught in no mans land like Marshall has numerous times. If Marshall wasn't so indecisive and caught in no mans land in the playoff final, perhaps we would be in the Premiership now?

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

What about Marshall's howler home to Portsmouth and then Marshall missing the cross which led to Kevin Phillips lobbing him the very next home game? Obviously Heaton was at fault for the Palace goal, but at least he was decisive enough to make the decision and stick to it, instead of being caught in no mans land like Marshall has numerous times. If Marshall wasn't so indecisive and caught in no mans land in the playoff final, perhaps we would be in the Premiership now?

I'm not going to check the stats but we know Marshall played a hell of a lot more games than Heaton so it's obvious that he would make more mistakes over the season.

Why is coming out and totally missing it better than being indecisive? Same result.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:59 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

I'm not going to check the stats but we know Marshall played a hell of a lot more games than Heaton so it's obvious that he would make more mistakes over the season.

Why is coming out and totally missing it better than being indecisive? Same result.

I know Marshall played more games so of course he will make more mistakes than Heaton. The point I was making was in the playoff final, Marshall was caught in no mans land leading to Blackpool's second goal. I remember Marshall and Gerrard squabbling away to Notts Forest as well as Marshall didn't give a loud call for Gerrard to leave it. I just feel Heaton is more decisive with coming off his line to deal with through balls and better at commanding his box. I felt a lot safer with Heaton in goal as I find Marshall too indecisive and hesitant to be a top keeper. Just my opinion of course.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Gerrard would argue with anyone :lol: he falls out with everyone.

For me, little difference between either keeper but Marshall just shades it. Shame we couldn't keep both but that's football.

Football would be boring if we all had the same opinions :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:06 pm

Enjoyed helping give JAJ some ideas for the video! :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:12 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Gerrard would argue with anyone :lol: he falls out with everyone.

For me, little difference between either keeper but Marshall just shades it. Shame we couldn't keep both but that's football.

Football would be boring if we all had the same opinions :ayatollah:

Gerrard could cause an argument in an empty room! :lol:

I agree there's little difference between both keepers. I rate Marshall but for the reasons I've explained I would rather Heaton. Let's agree to disagree, it's nice to have a friendly debate and like you say, football would be boring if everyone had the same opinion.

I honestly think Heaton will go on to get an England call up in the future as I think he will continue improving and he doesn't have much competition. Joe Lewis has already had an England call up so hopefully he can provide some healthy competition for Marshall now. :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:14 pm

I think the main thing that holds Heaton back is his size, just a few inches short to me a real godoy keeper.

I'm surprised he hasn't been snapped up yet.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:19 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I think the main thing that holds Heaton back is his size, just a few inches short to me a real godoy keeper.

To be honest until we signed Lewis, who I believe is 6 foot 4, I can't remember the last big, tall, imposing keeper we have had? Having a big keeper who is able to command his box definitely takes the pressure off the defence and is something we have been missing for years.

I'm very surprised Heaton hasn't been snapped up yet, he deserves a good club but most importantly, he deserves first team football. He's too good to be a second choice keeper at this level.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I think the main thing that holds Heaton back is his size, just a few inches short to me a real godoy keeper.

To be honest until we signed Lewis, who I believe is 6 foot 4, I can't remember the last big, tall, imposing keeper we have had? Having a big keeper who is able to command his box definitely takes the pressure off the defence and is something we have been missing for years.

I'm very surprised Heaton hasn't been snapped up yet, he deserves a good club but most importantly, he deserves first team football. He's too good to be a second choice keeper at this level.

Warner probably who again was a good shot stopper but awful at crosses :cry:

I felt he could get better than Watford but even they didn't take up the chance due to the take over.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:56 pm

Cracking vid, if you watch the Leeds away game you can see what Marshy is capable of, he was outstanding that day.

It was a great luxury having Heaton as number 2 last season and it will be just as comforting with Joe Lewis on the bench

Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:02 pm

Both average in my opinion.

Whats Marcus Hahnemann up too these days..?