Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

how many players

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:56 am

Well having see some Clubs taken over by people with real money and having seen some clubs already strengthen their sides How many players do you think are REALLY needed to make ourseleves competitive? and how many to get in 1st 2?

Re: how many players

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:02 am

11 :lol:

I think we could do with another 3/4 quality signings (striker, 2 wingers & attack midfielder.) to help us challenge at the top.

To date there have been 70 Championship signings since the end of last season, we have brought in Lewis & Mutch. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:12 am

this season i expect to see us around 4th -8th. its going to be a real tough league even if we bring in a couple of decent players, i honeslty cannot see us in top 2 with bolton, wolves, blackburn all having decent squads, keeping hold of last yrs squads and adding to them, add to that, birmingham, blackpool, boro, leicester and then you also have teams like charlton and sheff wed who have come up, brighton and leeds will also improve and who knows what forest will do...

i believe top 2 is achievable but we would have to get 1 hell of a squad together to get there... its early days at the moment, but we will def need at least 4 more quality players to be in with a shout..

i can see this season again going down to the wire and its def going to be interesting as alot of teams are all on a par with each other and it will come down to the day...

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:22 am

?

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:23 am

i really believe we would need quite a few players in to seriously challenge for a top 2 finish

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:32 am

Another nine "quality" players would do.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:37 am

I believe there is a real need for some quality

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:55 am

john52 wrote:Well having see some Clubs taken over by people with real money and having seen some clubs already strengthen their sides How many players do you think are REALLY needed to make ourseleves competitive? and how many to get in 1st 2?

6 or 7

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:20 am

We finished 6th last year with an inexperienced manager

A low average age (take Kenny Miller out and it's a really low average age)

A thin squad and playing more games overall than any other Championship side other than Birmingham.

Only 19 squad member played more than 10 games in all comps. only 12 players made more than 15 starts

24 players for Birmingham played more than 10 games and, 19 players made more than 10 starts.

Cardiff had 5 of those 19 Cardiff players who played more than 10 games hadn't ever played in the league before.

So yeah i'd say with a years more experience and a new influx of players we have a good chance. Squad depth is the main thing and we have:

GK: 3
FB: 3
CB: 4
CM: 5
Wing: 3 (Including Harris)
Forward: 4

So 22 players not a bad amount But with an 18 days match squad it allows for only 4 injuries. So depth still an issue.

So we need players in the right areas. Having Bellamy brings us another winger and another forward, if we get Kim too that makes 5 wingers. If we lose Gerrard and Keinan we will need another 2 CB's. Although If we get Keogh it'd only be one and FB's would be ok.

That'd leave losing Earnie and bringing in a target man. Although the fans clambering for a target man is a little odd. Not every team needs one. I'd wager a player than can play the lone front man role to be of more value and that isn't strictly a target man

That'd bump us to:

FB: 4
Wing:5
Forward 4

25 Players a far more competitive squad.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:24 am

RFMH wrote:We finished 6th last year with an inexperienced manager

A low average age (take Kenny Miller out and it's a really low average age)

A thin squad and playing more games overall than any other Championship side other than Birmingham.

Only 19 squad member played more than 10 games in all comps. only 12 players made more than 15 starts

24 players for Birmingham played more than 10 games and, 19 players made more than 10 starts.

Cardiff had 5 of those 19 Cardiff players who played more than 10 games hadn't ever played in the league before.

So yeah i'd say with a years more experience and a new influx of players we have a good chance. Squad depth is the main thing and we have:

FB: 3
Wing: 3 (Including Harris)
Forward: 4

So 22 players not a bad amount But with an 18 days match squad it allows for only 4 injuries. So depth still an issue.

So we need players in the right areas. Having Bellamy brings us another winger and another forward, if we get Kim too that makes 5 wingers. If we lose Gerrard and Keinan we will need another 2 CB's. Although If we get Keogh it'd only be one and FB's would be ok.

That'd leave losing Earnie and bringing in a target man. Although the fans clambering for a target man is a little odd. Not every team needs one. I'd wager a player than can play the lone front man role to be of more value and that isn't strictly a target man

That'd bump us to:

FB: 4
Wing:5
Forward 4

25 Players a far more competitive squad.

Superb post, fair play.

:thumbup:

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:38 pm

If MM says he wants 5.

Kim
Keogh
Bellamy

That'd leave a forward and another CB which would balance out to what I said above.

Also when I say 12 starts (ccfc) and 19 players (birmingham) I mean league starts.