Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

New Wales players .

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:38 am

By the sounds of it Coleman is looking into Ben Turner , Angel Rangel and Ryan Shawcross being eligable for Wales under residency and grandparent rules ! But says he will not pursue Shawcross unless Ramsey is happy with working alongside a guy who broke his leg .

Re: New Wales players .

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:42 am

I'd say call up Turner because atleast he has some Welsh blood in him, Shawcross had the offer this time last year but stuck two fingers up to it and Rangel can only qualify because he's been here for 5 years so that's another no I say, Spanish through and through.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:47 am

Is Rangel any better than Darcy Blake , Adam Matthews or indeed Chris Gunter ? I think not , the residency rules could allow an iflux of current older players not deemed good enough to play for their own nations !

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:51 am

Martyn1963 wrote:Is Rangel any better than Darcy Blake , Adam Matthews or indeed Chris Gunter ? I think not , the residency rules could allow an iflux of current older players not deemed good enough to play for their own nations !

Wouldn't be comfortable with Rangel playing for Wales, not because he's a Swansea player but don't like the residency qualification rules. He is better than those players you mention though.

I think it's good to see Coleman will consult with Ramsey before trying to call Shawcross up. The last thing we need is conflict in the squad.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:00 am

Stavross wrote:
Martyn1963 wrote:Is Rangel any better than Darcy Blake , Adam Matthews or indeed Chris Gunter ? I think not , the residency rules could allow an iflux of current older players not deemed good enough to play for their own nations !

Wouldn't be comfortable with Rangel playing for Wales, not because he's a Swansea player but don't like the residency qualification rules. He is better than those players you mention though.

I think it's good to see Coleman will consult with Ramsey before trying to call Shawcross up. The last thing we need is conflict in the squad.

im sure the faw the fa and the sfa have all agreed that they wont be taking residency player into their national team thats why arteta aint playing for england

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:00 am

I don't like the residential rule anyway, but do we need a 29 year old RB when we got Gunter - 22, Matthews 20, Blake can play there who's 23 and if we were desperate, Neal Eardley - 23. I'm sure Jazz Richards can play there too who we called up against Mexico and he's 21.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:03 am

thomas9990 wrote:
Stavross wrote:

im sure the faw the fa and the sfa have all agreed that they wont be taking residency player into their national team thats why arteta aint playing for england

I thought that was just for the home nations, not players from countries in mainland Europe

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:15 am

Stavross wrote:
thomas9990 wrote:
Stavross wrote:

I thought that was just for the home nations, not players from countries in mainland Europe

ahh right becasue there was something abot arteta playing for england but that never materalised

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:01 am

i havent got an issue with any of them playing. my family live in greece, are citizens and go to school/work there like any other member of society. i consider myself as much a greek as the next man and having had a house there for nearly a decade and been going there for 20 years i feel as though as am a proud member of the community and would not hesitate in representing them if offered. just because you were not born there does not mean you do not love the country and are proud and just taking up a second-best option. lets be fair, the spanish team is barcelona, madrid and man city, hes hardly taking up wales as he cant get in the spain squad, no one f*cking can! if hes any better get him in, i havent seen him play in a while but if hes no better then of course dont bother. deffo get turner in but im not too keen on shawcross, now that will be taking up second-best offer!

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:09 am

jooshy wrote:i havent got an issue with any of them playing. my family live in greece, are citizens and go to school/work there like any other member of society. i consider myself as much a greek as the next man and having had a house there for nearly a decade and been going there for 20 years i feel as though as am a proud member of the community and would not hesitate in representing them if offered. just because you were not born there does not mean you do not love the country and are proud and just taking up a second-best option. lets be fair, the spanish team is barcelona, madrid and man city, hes hardly taking up wales as he cant get in the spain squad, no one f*cking can! if hes any better get him in, i havent seen him play in a while but if hes no better then of course dont bother. deffo get turner in but im not too keen on shawcross, now that will be taking up second-best offer!

It is the second best option, though. If he could get in the Spain squad, he wouldn't consider anyone else. I was born in Wales and it is only Wales that I would play for.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:35 pm

If Rangel gets to play for Wales due to the residency rule, I'd rather have Whitts. He's been playing for us since January 2007 so that's more than 5 years.

Brazil here we come!

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Don't think Shawcross/Angel are good enough even for the bench in a major tourney.

Turner could improve the back line, but due to current premiership status of our CB's, Coleman will probably start them :(

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:16 pm

I also heard Geraint Williams is u21 boss http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... lZA7QpyIKA

whats your opinion :?:

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:21 pm

droopy wrote:Don't think Shawcross/Angel are good enough even for the bench in a major tourney.

Turner could improve the back line, but due to current premiership status of our CB's, Coleman will probably start them :(

You think Turner's better than Shawcross?

IMO Shawcross would be a quality addition to the backline, great young player who was tipped as a great English youngster a couple of years ago, been quiet for a couple of seasons but still a very good PL players, much better than Ashley Williams.

Ben Turner and Ryan Shawcross I would have in defence, I don't rate Ashley Williams, I know he plays good for Swansea but it seems every time I have seen him (mainly for Wales) he has been a liability. Rangel would also be better than what we have currently at right back I think, not much but still better although we have a lot of young options like someone said with Gunter/Blake/Matthews/Eardley, Blake has performed well at CB so perhaps just continue with him on the right.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:24 pm

ross1927 wrote:I also heard Geraint Williams is u21 boss http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... lZA7QpyIKA

whats your opinion :?:

Not very optimistic about the future of the country. We've had Gary Speed, a bright young manager who was implementing a good system, Ray Verheijen one of the most decorated and successful coaches in football (multiple WCs, Euros, worlds best clubs etc.) who we have now lost to Armenia and Brian Flynn who saw youth players successfully stepping up to the first team like Bale and Ramsey.

Now we are replacing them with Chris Coleman, an inexperienced manager with not the most decorated record and he's bringing in old staff who aren't that good like Symons (sp) and Williams as well as John Hartson who I hate and has had very little coaching experience (part time at Newport?).