Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

what jonathan pearce thinks of

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:47 pm

are welsh stars in the Olympics

Aaron Ramsey

Another Welshman with a key role in midfield, the captain of the national side is still struggling to recapture his best form at club level after an horrific leg break in 2010. Will be eager to dictate the tempo of play in midfield alongside Giggs, and could always chip in with a goal.

JP's verdict: "He was given a hard time last season by some Arsenal fans who forgot how young he is but he did not hide. He reminds me of Cesc Fabregas in that he always wants the ball and is looking to create. He could well play alongside Allen, meaning the core of Team GB's midfield could be Welsh."

Ryan Giggs

Giggs has been given the chance to shine on the international stage for the first time. After winning the lot at club level, Giggs can play in the centre or replace the injured Gareth Bale out on the left wing. Could be a calming presence in a young side.

JP's verdict: "Giggs had to be in the squad. When I voted for the person I thought was the best in the 20-year history of the Premier League I had no doubts about going for Giggs. I hope he can roll back the years and star at the Olympics."

Craig Bellamy

With more than 120 league goals to his name, Bellamy is the proven goalscorer who can act as a foil to the rest of the young Team GB squad. A fierce competitor, but doubts remain over Bellamy's ability to play several games in a week.

JP's verdict: "Bellamy will flourish in the senior player role. As a daddy of the team I think he will be very good with the younger players. Love him or hate him, he has scored lots of goals and regularly played well for Wales."

Joe Allen

After forming a dominant partnership with Leon Britton in the Swansea midfield, Allen won rave reviews throughout his first season in the Premier League. A sharp passer, Allen will be fighting with countrymen Aaron Ramsey and Ryan Giggs for a starting berth.

JP's verdict: "I have known for some time that he is a really talented player. He caught the eye when he scored for Swansea against Cardiff in April 2009 as a 19-year-old. I know how much his former Swans boss Brendan Rodgers rates him. He is a great passer of the ball, our little Andres Iniesta."

Neil Taylor

Age: 23. Born: St Asaph, Denbighshire, Wales. Club: Swansea

Taylor was a target for Newcastle last summer and showed why during an excellent first season in the Premier League for Swansea. Dependable at the back and exciting going forward down the left flank.

JP's verdict: "A very under-rated player. As well as at full-back, he can play on the left of midfield and on the left side of central defence. He is important for Wales and deserves his call-up