Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Chris Wood or Johnny Russell

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:24 am

Anyone else take them?, Wood was out on loan to brum & bristol last season scored a handfull of goals, could be used as a target man 6ft 3. Russell im sure we've been linked with him before in january this year, looks a good young prospect scored 14 goals in all competitions last season up in the spl :ayatollah:

Re: Chris Wood or Johnny Russell

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:31 am

We could do with a proven striker that is going to score 20 goals a season. I think City need to make a serious bid for promotion now rather than solely 'developing' players for the long term. The owners want auto promotion this season but you can't see it unless 4/5 decent signings are made to strengthen the squad. (striker/wingers/attacking midfielder/pace/width) :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:52 am

Would happily take them both, Wood is a great target man and done brilliant for Birmingham and is only 20 years old. Also Johnny Russell is 22, highly rated and has a lot of pace. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:58 am

I really think he would do well in our system and seems to score goals. Wonder if Malky is looking at him?

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:22 am

Johnny russell is like lightning and is highly rated could be a massive signing

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:29 am

Wood scored 3 goals in 19 appearances for Bristol last season and Russell scored 18 goals in 70 games for Dundee Utd and no goals in 9 Scotland U21 appearances. Do you think that either is the type of striker that will seal promotion for Cardiff?

I may be wrong but I think that we need someone who has scored goals at this level on a regular basis. We could do with a striker that is going to score 20 goals. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:35 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Wood scored 3 goals in 19 appearances for Bristol last season and Russell scored 18 goals in 70 games for Dundee Utd and no goals in 9 Scotland U21 appearances. Do you think that either is the type of striker that will seal promotion for Cardiff?

I may be wrong but I think that we need someone who has scored goals at this level on a regular basis. We could do with a striker that is going to score 20 goals. :ayatollah:

From what I can remember aswell the majority of the time Wood was used off the bench for Bristol. For Birmingham he scored 9 league goals in 23 league appearances and he was only on loan 'til january 5th and he scored a hat-trick against Millwall. Last season, Johnny Russell scored 14 goals in 42 appearances but also playing as a winger and attacking midfielder. He scored 4 goals in 2 games in the cup and 9 goals in 37 league games. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:40 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Wood scored 3 goals in 19 appearances for Bristol last season and Russell scored 18 goals in 70 games for Dundee Utd and no goals in 9 Scotland U21 appearances. Do you think that either is the type of striker that will seal promotion for Cardiff?

That was in a struggling Bristol City team, where as he scored 9 in 20 odd for Birmingham, again who were struggling at the time.

I think given a consistent run, he could easily score 15-20 goals a season.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Russell very rarely actually plays as a striker for United.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:21 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:We could do with a proven striker that is going to score 20 goals a season.:

Agreed. Simon Cox please.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:25 pm

PtB wrote:Russell very rarely actually plays as a striker for United.

Reckon he could cut it in the championship mate? Heard he is lightening quick which is a start!

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:34 pm

Both please, but wouldn't be surprised if both get snapped up by our league rivals :roll: