Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Malky Mackay has a say on Rangers decision!

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:00 am

The weird thing is that our Malky used to play for Queens Park as well!

Rangers in crisis: SFL clubs won't have say over what division Ibrox side play in

Jul 8 2012 By Scott McDermott

rangers protest ibrox john brown Image 2

RANGERS’ league status for next season could be decided upon by the SFL board and not its 30 member clubs.

The Ibrox newco will find out on Friday if they will start life in the First Division or in Scottish football’s bottom tier after the SPL voted to refuse them entry to the top-flight last week.

SFL chief David Longmuir revealed last week that all clubs from Scotland’s lower leagues will meet on Friday to consider Gers’ membership application, when it was expected that chairmen from the First, Second and Third Divisions would vote on what league the newco should start in.

But it emerged yesterday that the SFL board will make that judgement – if the newco’s application is accepted.

The board is made up of president Jim Ballantyne, vice president Ewen Cameron, chief executive Longmuir, Livingston chairman Gordon McDougall, Brechin’s Kenny Ferguson, Malky Mackay from Queen’s Park, Dunfermline legend Jim Leishman, Ann McKeown from Arbroath and Dumbarton’s Gilbert Lawrie.

A host of SFL clubs have stated the newco should start in the Third Division but the latest manoeuvre means Gers could end up in the game’s second tier.

League chiefs believe this is the best way to deal with the issue with league reconstruction and play-offs part of a package of reforms that will later be implemented as part of the overall solution.

The notice of the special general meeting, which has been sent out to all SFL clubs, proposes: “That Rangers FC shall play in the Third Division during season 2012/13 unless the board shall have to its satisfaction negotiated and reached agreement with the SPL and SFA on a series of measures which the board shall consider to be in the best interests of the game.

“Whereupon the board shall be authorised to provide that Rangers FC shall play in the First Division of the SFL during season 2012/13.”

But the proposal is set to cause further unrest among the SFL clubs and Raith Rovers director Turnbull Hutton wants clarity on why the board look set to decide Rangers’ fate.

He said: “The story is right about the SFL board wanting to make the decision on which league Rangers play in.

“But there will have to be discussions as to whether that is to be accepted by the clubs.

“We’re looking for clarity before we’re prepared to participate. We have rules but are we going to abide by them or just make it up as we go along?”

Re: Malky Mackay has a say on Rangers decision!

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:01 am

BTW this was taken from todays issue of the Daily Record

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:48 am

It's his father.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:25 am

Cheers PtB

I didn't know that. Learn something new.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:02 pm

In the 3rd meeting with our Club I asked Malky would he tell Celtic fans to change their badge and Colour and he said just look at Rangers, I said yes lets talk about them, Malky then said to much politics, so I repeated would you dare ask Celtic fans to change their strip and badge and he finally answered with," come on u know the answer to that. "

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Forever Blue wrote:In the 3rd meeting with our Club I asked Malky would he tell Celtic fans to change their badge and Colour and he said just look at Rangers, I said yes lets talk about them, Malky then said to much politics, so I repeated would you dare ask Celtic fans to change their strip and badge and he finally answered with," come on u know the answer to that. "

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:37 pm

Forever Blue wrote:In the 3rd meeting with our Club I asked Malky would he tell Celtic fans to change their badge and Colour and he said just look at Rangers, I said yes lets talk about them, Malky then said to much politics, so I repeated would you dare ask Celtic fans to change their strip and badge and he finally answered with," come on u know the answer to that. "

The club wheeled Malky out that evening to defend the indefensible and frankly even though he tried, I got the feeling he knows in his heart of hearts the rebranding is total and utter bollocks. Mind you,I think Whiteley knows it's a terrible idea too.

Remarkably, despite no Langston settlement,no commitment to convert debt to equity and the admission by Whiteley that there is no business plan to back the rebranding and it was never red or dead we STILL have fans who think the kit and badge change are a progressive idea and good for the club :lol:

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:40 pm

alfie sherwood wrote:

The club wheeled Malky out that evening to defend the indefensible and frankly even though he tried, I got the feeling he knows in his heart of hearts the rebranding is total and utter bollocks. Mind you,I think Whiteley knows it's a terrible idea too.

Remarkably, despite no Langston settlement,no commitment to convert debt to equity and the admission by Whiteley that there is no business plan to back the rebranding and it was never red or dead we STILL have fans who think the kit and badge change are a progressive idea and good for the club :lol:

I really dont think the club have thought this through and we are just following one mans Dictatorship.

If u dont laugh, u could end up crying.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:09 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
alfie sherwood wrote:

I really dont think the club have thought this through and we are just following one mans Dictatorship.

If u dont laugh, u could end up crying.

Totally agree with this and Alfie's comments.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:28 pm

alfie sherwood wrote:

Its just beggars belief tbh. :cry:

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:18 am

CP76 wrote:
alfie sherwood wrote:

Its just beggars belief tbh. :cry:

I've even had pro reds telling me how awful relegation would be if we had to live within our means,sell a few players and reduce our playing budget. Well, I've been through several relegations over the years and the rebranding has been like all those relegations x10. By far the worst thing that has happened to the club in my quarter of a century of following the club.