Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Anyone think we are in for a relegation battle?

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:34 am

There is a lot oftalk on this board that we are going to have a great chance of top 2 this coming season which has confused me slightly, so I went to look at the stats.

It seems a lot of people are still riding the initial optimistic wave of Malkys honeymoon period at the club where we instantly hit a patch of good form as is often the case when a new managr arrives - but since January we have shown nothing but the form of a bottom half team, why are we now suddenly top 2 candidates with the only thing different from lat season is growing unrest inside and outside of the club....

Tue 31 Jan Southampton A League D 1-1
Sat 04 Feb BLACKPOOL H League L 1-3
Sat 11 Feb Leicester City A League L 1-2
Tue 14 Feb PETERBOROUGH UNITED H League W 3-1
Sat 18 Feb Ipswich Town A League L 0-3
Sun 04 Mar WEST HAM UNITED H League L 0-2
Wed 07 Mar Brighton & Hove Albion A League D 2-2
Sat 10 Mar Bristol City A League W 2-1
Tue 13 Mar HULL CITY H League L 0-3
Sun 18 Mar BURNLEY H League D 0-0
Wed 21 Mar COVENTRY CITY H League D 1-1
Sun 25 Mar Birmingham City A League D 1-1
Sat 31 Mar MILLWALL H League D 0-0
Sat 07 Apr Middlesbrough A League W 2-0
Mon 09 Apr WATFORD H League D 1-1
Sat 14 Apr Barnsley A League W 1-0
Tue 17 Apr DERBY COUNTY H League W 2-0
Sat 21 Apr LEEDS UNITED H League D 1-1
Sat 28 Apr Crystal Palace A League W 2-1
Thu 03 May WEST HAM UNITED H L 0-2
Mon 07 May West Ham United A L 0-3

Played: 21
Wins: 6
Draws: 8
Defeats: 7

Win percentage: 28%
average points per game: 1.23

Projected points over 46 games: 57 points.

Projected points total on lat seasons table: 17th place finish.

Re: Anyone think we are in for a relegation battle?

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:43 am

f*cking get a grip!

You could just as easily use the stats for the first half of the season and say we finish top

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:45 am

CraigCCFC wrote:f*cking get a grip!

You could just as easily use the stats for the first half of the season and say we finish top

This

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:46 am

17th is well clear of relegation. Sorted :D

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:48 am

Not really. As a trend is more likely to continue than to change. There are clear reasons as to why a team has an upturn in form when a new manager comes in, its well documented and the examples are endless - they then level out to the true quality of the squad... and after our honeymoon perio, over the second half of the season we were a 17th placed club.

So why now the top 2 talk in what is a far far far more difficult league.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:49 am

Aramore wrote:17th is well clear of relegation. Sorted :D

If we discount Portsmouths 10 point deduction as there i no club with that deduction in the coming season, then the relegated team would have been Barnsley on 48 points with us fiishng 9 points clear.

Thats a little hairy in what is an all round tougher league.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:54 am

RoathMagic wrote:

Not really. As a trend is more likely to continue than to change. There are clear reasons as to why a team has an upturn in form when a new manager comes in, its well documented and the examples are endless - they then level out to the true quality of the squad... and after our honeymoon perio, over the second half of the season we were a 17th placed club.

Malky plays a high impact game, with the threadbare squad we had last season we couldn't maintain it past the half way (ish) point. I think this year we'll continue that early season form with a bigger squad and with malky's select.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:21 am

Think a lot of people are in for a shock. :?

Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:22 am

Can't stand people who are negative, considering we had one of the smallest squads in the Championship, we couldn't keep up and bearing in mind we had the cup run, Malky is a good manager

Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:30 am

I Bleed Blue wrote:Can't stand people who are negative, considering we had one of the smallest squads in the Championship, we couldn't keep up and bearing in mind we had the cup run, Malky is a good manager

Its not negative is it, its fact. If we finished 3rd last season with consistant good form and I posted this then you would have every right to call me negative a all the signs would point to a similar eason given the similar squad all be it in a harder league.

But why you want me to believe we are top 2 material when everything else points to the opposite is a little odd. It seems more optimistic than realistic.

Our squad is no different now to that of last season, in fact its smaller.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:32 am

love how jacks hide behind fake accounts just to get on this board!... obsessed with us, actually obsessed is an understatement! :oops:

Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:33 am

And what team worth itss salt cant keep up normal form for longer than 4 months without getting exhausted :?

If we failed in the last month that view may hold some weight. Dont most teams have pretty much the same starting 11 all season?

Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:35 am

CalShepCCFC wrote:love how jacks hide behind fake accounts just to get on this board!... obsessed with us, actually obsessed is an understatement! :oops:

True, good point... I made all that up. We actually won our last 21 games and went up as champions, silly me.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:45 am

Our team isn't relegation material, it got into the play-offs, they've had to overcome hurdles, 15 teams will be going for promotion most likely and some will fail, no chance are we in for a relegation battle though, you never post anything good on this forum it's always negative negative negative, we see the statistics but were we expecting anything from the season? not at all, competition will be though but we've only made two signings so far, judge when we make the signings.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:10 am

RoathMagic wrote:
CalShepCCFC wrote:love how jacks hide behind fake accounts just to get on this board!... obsessed with us, actually obsessed is an understatement! :oops:

True, good point... I made all that up. We actually won our last 21 games and went up as champions, silly me.

Regardless of any amount of truth all you do is stir stuff up under the guise of "being reasonable".

Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:57 am

RoathMagic wrote:There is a lot oftalk on this board that we are going to have a great chance of top 2 this coming season which has confused me slightly, so I went to look at the stats.

It seems a lot of people are still riding the initial optimistic wave of Malkys honeymoon period at the club where we instantly hit a patch of good form as is often the case when a new managr arrives - but since January we have shown nothing but the form of a bottom half team, why are we now suddenly top 2 candidates with the only thing different from lat season is growing unrest inside and outside of the club....

Tue 31 Jan Southampton A League D 1-1
Sat 04 Feb BLACKPOOL H League L 1-3
Sat 11 Feb Leicester City A League L 1-2
Tue 14 Feb PETERBOROUGH UNITED H League W 3-1
Sat 18 Feb Ipswich Town A League L 0-3
Sun 04 Mar WEST HAM UNITED H League L 0-2
Wed 07 Mar Brighton & Hove Albion A League D 2-2
Sat 10 Mar Bristol City A League W 2-1
Tue 13 Mar HULL CITY H League L 0-3
Sun 18 Mar BURNLEY H League D 0-0
Wed 21 Mar COVENTRY CITY H League D 1-1
Sun 25 Mar Birmingham City A League D 1-1
Sat 31 Mar MILLWALL H League D 0-0
Sat 07 Apr Middlesbrough A League W 2-0
Mon 09 Apr WATFORD H League D 1-1
Sat 14 Apr Barnsley A League W 1-0
Tue 17 Apr DERBY COUNTY H League W 2-0
Sat 21 Apr LEEDS UNITED H League D 1-1
Sat 28 Apr Crystal Palace A League W 2-1
Thu 03 May WEST HAM UNITED H L 0-2
Mon 07 May West Ham United A L 0-3

Played: 21
Wins: 6
Draws: 8
Defeats: 7

Win percentage: 28%
average points per game: 1.23

Projected points over 46 games: 57 points.

Projected points total on lat seasons table: 17th place finish.

still pretending your a cardiff fan then roath perhaps we should start another travellers thread as thats when your true colours come out.
alternatively you could just grow up

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:23 am

You counted the play off games in there so your stats are out. You're right, we arent currently top 2 material but give malky a chance in the transfer market. Definitely not relegation fodder.

For me the stats from last year say we finished 6th and i dont think it was false. We only lost ten games!

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:24 am

the fact last season is that we didnt have a big enough squad so if players where tired we couldnt replace them with another player this season i truly believe that we will be mor consistent through the season but did you realise that our form started going after the carling cup final

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:43 am

Im the fairest poster on this site. I dont subscribe to the fact you must bash anything Swans related when clearly not true and hype up everything Cardiff when everyone else can see the opposite. Thats what gets a lot of people backs up. I say it how it is.

As for the play-off games, they are still considered league matches, which is why if a player scores in them it gets added to his league tally. im happy with my decision to include them in my fact based stats.

And finally the excuse of the small squad... most clubs play with a limited amount of players regardless of squad size. Lets take Swansea for example as you all like to bring them up when I post... they played pretty much the same starting 11 all seaon barring when they brought gylfi in and they picked up more points in the second half of the season than they did in the first beating Liverpool on the final day.

Yet you are saying our squad cant play to their normal standard after 4 and a half months? Something wrong there then surely?

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:53 am

RoathMagic wrote:Im the fairest poster on this site. I dont subscribe to the fact you must bash anything Swans related when clearly not true and hype up everything Cardiff when everyone else can see the opposite. Thats what gets a lot of people backs up. I say it how it is.

As for the play-off games, they are still considered league matches, which is why if a player scores in them it gets added to his league tally. im happy with my decision to include them in my fact based stats.

And finally the excuse of the small squad... most clubs play with a limited amount of players regardless of squad size. Lets take Swansea for example as you all like to bring them up when I post... they played pretty much the same starting 11 all seaon barring when they brought gylfi in and they picked up more points in the second half of the season than they did in the first beating Liverpool on the final day.

Yet you are saying our squad cant play to their normal standard after 4 and a half months? Something wrong there then surely?

they played less games than us though swansea played 41 games we played 56 games and 4 of those wher 120 mins

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:57 am

thomas9990 wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:Im the fairest poster on this site. I dont subscribe to the fact you must bash anything Swans related when clearly not true and hype up everything Cardiff when everyone else can see the opposite. Thats what gets a lot of people backs up. I say it how it is.

they played less games than us though swansea played 41 games we played 56 games and 4 of those wher 120 mins

but you are using that as an excuse as to why we struggled in the last 22 games (including Liverpool defeat) which would take it to 34 games before we were exhausted.. yet swansea looked stronger in their 41st game than their 1st....

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:00 am

we had a good april though 4 wins 2 draws

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:03 am

thomas9990 wrote:we had a good april though 4 wins 2 draws

Which adds weight to my view that we certainly werent exhausted, its an easy excuse to roll out.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:19 am

JACK :lol: :lol: :roll:

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:23 am

(copy and pasted from the other pointless accusation... same applies)

Cardiff fan, Swansea fan, Munich fan, Macclesfield fan... it make no difference, im dealaing in facts.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:26 am

RoathMagic wrote:

So if a trend is so likely to continue how did we not win the league and Reading did? We are not going to be in a relegation battle so don't worry. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:27 am

Roath jack barsteward
You are some sicko.I bet you could hardly sleep last night for excitement over what thrills this thread would bring you.
For your own good you should get some help.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:34 am

Howey1927 wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:

So if a trend is so likely to continue how did we not win the league and Reading did? We are not going to be in a relegation battle so don't worry. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Because the upward trend was caused by the honeymoon period which is something most teams experience with a new panager it then levels out to give a true indication on the squad. Since Jan we are a bottom 7 team, I see no evidence that this will change as we are going into the season with pretty much the same squad, but in a harder league with uncertainty surrounding us on and off the field.

top 2 talk is incredible really.
Last edited by RoathMagic on Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:35 am

Good idea but we have two halves of a season. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Also form is temporary, class is permanent. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:18 am

oi jack b*stard white( roath magic) dont you think you would get more exhausted playing two games a week instead of one like your lot , so considering we were playing two games a week virtually right though the season with a small squad, we were basically running on empty at the end and still managed to get into the play offs