Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Le Tour

Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:56 pm

Anyone else watching Le Tour? My old man has been banging on about it for years, originally thought it was crap but i'm well into it now!!
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Le Tour

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:05 pm

Most gruelling event on the sporting calendar . Wait till they get up in the alps. The angels ( climbers) will be at the front.i prefer cycling to modern football . Participating or watching. :old:

Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:07 pm

Watched the highlights on itv4 earlier but didn't have a fekin clue what was going on lol really complicated to work out who's winning etc with all the different jerseys and sprints and what not! Although I did figure out that I should be cheering for team sky because a bloke called wiggins and Cavendish ride for them and there british and apparently wiggins got a good chance of winning the whole race...or is it cavendish? The crashes they have look pretty nasty lol

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:28 pm

I watched the Tour for the first time last year. It was absolutely gripping. I remember watching City in a friendly just after it and thinking how easy footballers have it in comparison. Less work and far better paid. They are awesome athletes with amazing stamina and explosive power.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:03 pm

Watched it for the last three years, totally absorbing.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:17 pm

Sagan has rode superbly to get his three stage wins. Fair play to him at just 22 years of age!

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:14 am

the blue beast wrote:Sagan has rode superbly to get his three stage wins. Fair play to him at just 22 years of age!

and obvioulsly crackers too!!!

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:46 pm

Yes most of them are mad as f**k. Some bad crashes as per usual. Broken legs , snapped wrists and collar bones, punctured lungs and a lot of skin left on the roads. Riders trying to ride with broken bones. Footballers take note , fecking fairies , and hardly a mention amid the tennis furore. C,mon wiggins make them all crack. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:52 pm

Wiggins destroyed the field today in the time trial, hes a fooking machine!!

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:00 pm

He could have gone faster if he shaved the side burns off. Massive Jam fan is wiggo , standing on the podium in yellow with blue gazelles. :lol: barring disaster he can win , first Brit ever to do it. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:44 pm

Wiggo is a beast on the time trial. Cadel was blown away. Barring disaster think this could be a British / Sky top two!

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:58 am

Cyclists are amazing. Would love Wiggins to win it, but also would love to see Segan win at least one more stage, if only for the celebration.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:24 am

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Cyclists are amazing. Would love Wiggins to win it, but also would love to see Segan win at least one more stage, if only for the celebration.

The rate he's going he's bound to do the :ayatollah: soon! :D

See one the other day completed the course then found ot he had a fractured pelvis!! Greipel dislocated his shoulder and is still there mad as fook the lot of them!

Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Its hard enough for me to do an hour on a stationary bike, generating wattage at the same level as the cyclists in the pelaton do in the long stages. Imagine doing 4 or 5 times that, with a couple of nice mountains thrown in for good measure. And maybe one rest day a week. I am having a heart attack just thinking of it.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:07 pm

Wiggo should be a national hero if he wins the Tour, I have got right into the tour this year, in the process of spending some decent wedge on a road bike so want to what the Pro's get up to. f**k me are they Real Athletes!! 170 Km's day after day, with Hill Climbs and Sprints, not to mention crashes!! Mental all of them :ayatollah: :ayatollah: nothing but Respect, they deserve Rest day today!

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:10 pm

Sorry, should say, see what the pros get up to!! Bloody typing on the bus!!!!

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:36 pm

Total respect for the Tour De France super human athletes.Would love to see Wiggins win it.he has got a good Sky team back up especially Chris Froome who has been superb.Apart from when im watching Cardiff City play gonna be a bag of nerves when it comes to next week.If he does win it when it comes to sports personality it will probably end up going to an olympic athlete :roll:

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Yes he's in the driving seat now, and as a keen cyclist I have to admit I never thought he could win the TDF. Andy Shleck is absent with a fractured pelvis, Alberto Contador banned for minute traces of clenbuterol which can be found in beef. That only leaves Cadel Evans and Vicenso Nibali as real challengers to Wiggo and let's not forget Froome . Cadel Evans is as tough as teak,he finished a tour before with a fractured arm,but he will have to attack soon . As there is a longer time trial day before Paris which wiggo and Froome will put more time on them. Deals will be done amongst the teams as well. Anything can happen and the tour is rarely won in the first week. This is his best shot at winning , that's for sure. :old:

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:37 pm

Yes anything can happen on the tour thats what makes it so nerve racking.i think wiggins and froomes weaknesses from what i can gather off the commentators is on descending esp Froome and Cadel Evans is a bit of a master on descent.I have never raced a bike in my life but always remember in the 80s rushing home from work to catch a half hour slot on channel 4.how things have changed.Now we have 5 hours of top live coverage in the day on British Eurosport and highlights in the evening if you have missed the day.cant fault.Makes me wanna jump on my bike and have a heart attack. :old:

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:50 pm

weza 65 wrote:Yes anything can happen on the tour thats what makes it so nerve racking.i think wiggins and froomes weaknesses from what i can gather off the commentators is on descending esp Froome and Cadel Evans is a bit of a master on descent.I have never raced a bike in my life but always remember in the 80s rushing home from work to catch a half hour slot on channel 4.how things have changed.Now we have 5 hours of top live coverage in the day on British Eurosport and highlights in the evening if you have missed the day.cant fault.Makes me wanna jump on my bike and have a heart attack. :old:

Have no fear though as you may lose 30 secs on a descent and then catch up but you could lose 3 mins on a climb and not recover. The big test will come in the mountains especially now he wears yellow. Shoud be exciting stuff and hope he does it

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:41 pm

I think Cadel blew it yesterday, he looked a broken man at the end TJ could replace him as front runner but for me it's a sky 1-2 Wiggins and Froome.
BTW Cadels descents are so good because he's an ex MTB'er, i'm going to pretend i'm Wiggins when i'm up the Afan Argoed this weekend! :D :D