Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gestede-'we will still be Cardiff City'

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:30 pm

..Rudy Gestede's message to Cardiff City fans in wake of controversial re-branding .

Cardiff City star Rudy Gestede promises players will not forget club's history after re-branding

By Steve TuckerJul 4 2012

YOUNG striker Rudy Gestede has become the first Bluebirds player to speak out about the club’s controversial kit change, insisting what matters is representing Cardiff City, not the colour of the shirt.

Up to 70% off at eBay Fashion Outlet
City will play their home games in red this season in a move which has angered many fans and led to some demanding refunds on their season tickets.

Gestede, who enjoyed a impressive first season in British football last term, said he understood the emotions being experienced by fans over the switch.

But, as the 23-year-old looks to make an even bigger impact under boss Malky Mackay this campaign, he said the new shirt will make no difference to the level of commitment from him and his City team-mates.

“For fans I can understand it is a very difficult situation,” said the French marksman.

“Tradition and history are a very important part of football, it has always been that way.

“But what I promise our fans is that I will never forget the city I am representing when I go out onto the pitch.

“I know my team-mates feel the same, we are representing Cardiff and its people and that will never change, I don’t care if I am playing in a blue shirt, a red shirt or a black one, I will never forget the people who I am lucky enough to represent.

“Our supporters have been brilliant last season, to me and all the players. I do hope they keep supporting us like that because it does make a big difference for us.

“Personally I will never give anything but my maximum for Cardiff and it does not matter what colour my shirt is.”

Cardiff return to pre-season training on July 11 determined to improve on their last campaign which saw them lose out in the play-offs at the hands of West Ham.

Gestede said he and his team-mates were determined to a make it a memorable campaign.

“Three times now this club has come close and we want to get promoted to the Premier League,” added Gestede.

“But the season is very long. You go into it with ambition, of course, but to say you will finish first is a difficult thing to say.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1zdKnRuW8
Last edited by SamCCFC1927 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Gestede-'we will always be cardiff city'

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:32 pm

Agreed. :ayatollah:

Re: Gestede-'we will still be Cardiff City'

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:44 pm

Agreed :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:50 pm

SamCCFC1927 wrote:..Rudy Gestede's message to Cardiff City fans in wake of controversial re-branding pic.twitter.com/3blcuRUa :ayatollah:

i don't really expect a French player who's been at the club for a year to understand the history and traditions of a Championship club to be honest, it probably matters to him about as much as it would matter to me if i was playing for a second tier french club - not at all!

that said, i do really love Rudy's enthusiasm and attitude :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:22 pm

Players shouldn't get involved on either side of the argument other than to ask that fans get behind the players.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:00 am

PtB wrote:Players shouldn't get involved on either side of the argument other than to ask that fans get behind the players.

And on which side of the debate do you sit Ptb?

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:23 am

Natman Blue wrote:
PtB wrote:Players shouldn't get involved on either side of the argument other than to ask that fans get behind the players.

Firmly in the blue camp now. I'm still not convinced by the figures bandied about or the reasoning. When they start doing some of the things they are promising then maybe I'll come round. I've said since the start that I am in favour of change if it helps lead to progress - I've yet to see why the kit & badge changes are important to lead to that progress. The identity of the club(in my opinion) has been ripped from it, and that is not good. People associate Cardiff City with blue and bluebirds, why take that away?

When Langston is sorted, debt turned to equity and other things start to happen then I'll maybe start to take note. It'll take more than a few additions to the playing squad to convince me though.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:38 am

SamCCFC1927 wrote:..Rudy Gestede's message to Cardiff City fans in wake of controversial re-branding pic.twitter.com/3blcuRUa :ayatollah:

I agree with him

Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:59 am

What do you know Rudy?

Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:55 am

PtB wrote:
Natman Blue wrote:

Firmly in the blue camp now. I'm still not convinced by the figures bandied about or the reasoning. When they start doing some of the things they are promising then maybe I'll come round. I've said since the start that I am in favour of change if it helps lead to progress - I've yet to see why the kit & badge changes are important to lead to that progress. The identity of the club(in my opinion) has been ripped from it, and that is not good. People associate Cardiff City with blue and bluebirds, why take that away?

When Langston is sorted, debt turned to equity and other things start to happen then I'll maybe start to take note. It'll take more than a few additions to the playing squad to convince me though.

Fair play then, i was firmly awaiting for you to say you were a staunch pro-blue lol. Not saying that you are doing this, just an observation; but its bizarre how we can get posts from random malaysian people etc saying they don't trust tan that is made a sticky and everyone is meant to take notice of yet when a player says they are in favour of the change the argument becomes "what does he know" and the modus operandi becomes that we should just ignore it lol

Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:25 am

Natman Blue wrote:
PtB wrote:
Natman Blue wrote:

Fair play then, i was firmly awaiting for you to say you were a staunch pro-blue lol. Not saying that you are doing this, just an observation; but its bizarre how we can get posts from random malaysian people etc saying they don't trust tan that is made a sticky and everyone is meant to take notice of yet when a player says they are in favour of the change the argument becomes "what does he know" and the modus operandi becomes that we should just ignore it lol

I know what you are saying. I'm just going from experience up here of players getting involved in stuff they don't need to and alienating themselves from sections of the support. What he is saying is true, but I'd rather he concentrated on the football!