Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Vincent Tan's great "Mall" of China...

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:09 am

Was just having a browse of the malaysian Star and came across this article with some images. MAHOOOOSIVE!!

If you're looking for a links to CCFC don't bother reading any further..... This was just to share the article that outlines this gigantic task!

http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story. ... adeinchina

WHEN Tan Sri Vincent Tan’s Berjaya Corporation bought a vast farmland in Hebei province’s Yanjiao, about 38km from Beijing, 10 years ago, the Malaysian tycoon knew exactly what type of development they wanted to establish there.

His vision to build the world’s largest all-in-one shopping mall in the area is not far from reality.

The first phase of the five billion yuan (RM2.35bil) Great Mall of China project, comprising a retail mall, an indoor water theme park, a family theme park and an extreme park, will be completed in March next year and scheduled to open in October.

Work in progress: Construction work being carried out at the first phase of the mall project in Yanjiao.
There will be an extension of a cinema and pedestrian street in the first phase. In total, phase one covers 796,529 sq m.

The second and third phases will consist of a convention centre, that can accommodate 10,000 people, a 2,000-seat capa­city theatre, another retail building, office blocks, an aquarium, sports centre, hotel and service apartments.

The entire project, with a total built-up area of 1.84 million sq m, is expected to be completed in March 2017.

“From the very beginning, we told the government officials (from Yanjiao and Hebei) that we will build them a mall which is bigger than the Mall of America in the United States,” said Tan in a recent interview.

“We showed them the Mall of America and the West Edmonton Mall in Canada to give them an idea of the type of mall that we were planning to build. At that time, we were in the midst of finishing Berjaya Times Square (in Kuala Lumpur),” he added

Inviting: An artist impression of the Great Mall of China.
Berjaya Corporation has kept a low profile with its foray into China. Only recently, the company announced news of the mall project.

The company developed a French Village and Les OE residential projects near the mall site in 2001 and invested in a wastewater treatment plant and a sanitary landfill in Foshan city in southern China in 2008.

Besides, the company also has interests in 24quan.com, a website that features discounted gift vouchers, and Beijing Zhongcai Printing Co Ltd.

Tan believes that the reputation of being the largest mall would attract people from all over China and the world to the Great Mall of China.

“A mall of this size can only be built in China where there is a huge population.

“If you do not have enough people, it will not be economically viable to construct something of this magnitude,” he said

“From our experience with Ber­jaya Times Square, we will try to tailor this shopping mall like a resort. Great Mall of China will be the biggest in the world unless somebody is crazier than us,” he added

Berjaya (China) Great Mall Co Ltd chief executive officer Kevin Tan said the mall was inspired by both the West Edmonton Mall and Mall of America.

“Both are called destination malls. They are located on the outskirts but still have high traffic as they draw many shoppers from the nearby cities. That’s what we want to do with the Great Mall of China,” he said.

Kevin said that with the mall strategically located within the radius of Beijing, Tianjin and other Hebei cities, its catchment population would be as many as 100 million people.

He said one of the highlights of the mall would be the coaster rides, which include the SkyLoop and Pretzel Coaster, that would scale up to 60m or approximately 17 storeys.

The three indoor theme parks covers about 80,000 sq m and cater to all age groups.

“We will try to transport visitors to a different world at the theme parks. There are many shopping malls in Beijing but one with the whole package is still not available.

“We know that the world’s largest mall is currently the South China Mall in Dongguan. But the mall is not really doing well and we hope to do better,” Kevin Tan said.

He hoped that the light-rail transit line, which now stops at Tongzhou in the east of Beijing, would extend to Yanjiao as this would make travel to the shopping mall much easier for Beijing residents.

Re: Vincent Tan's great "Mall" of China...

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:17 am

Good article Craig if nothing else it does show VT delivers on his visions.

I wouldn't fancy walking around that place I hope they hire golf buggies. ;)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:20 am

Shit this guy dont mess about :shock:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:24 am

It's massive! The mall in the image is the whole site, the orange building in the background, the pools to the right including the land next to them, and all that land to the left as well to be built on......

That has to be as visible from space as the great wall of china is!! :lol:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:25 pm

you never know tan might open a ccfc shop there haha

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:36 pm

Merlin wrote:It's massive! The mall in the image is the whole site, the orange building in the background, the pools to the right including the land next to them, and all that land to the left as well to be built on......

That has to be as visible from space as the great wall of china is!! :lol:

The mall also has a waterpark, called the Red Dragon.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Must be a different VT to ours as from what I've read on here he hasn't got a clue when it comes to business

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:16 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Must be a different VT to ours as from what I've read on here he hasn't got a clue when it comes to business

and who has said that because I have not seen anyone say that.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:27 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:Must be a different VT to ours as from what I've read on here he hasn't got a clue when it comes to business

Please tell me you are serious?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:27 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:

Ive always said Tan ' away from football ' is a remarkable businessman and I have nothing but admiration for him.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:30 pm

jinks-rct wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

What so nobody casting doubt over his plans to generate revenue steams for Cardiif City in the far east?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:

I think the quotes were VT hasn't got a clue about the 'football' business.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
jinks-rct wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

What so nobody casting doubt over his plans to generate revenue steams for Cardiif City in the far east?

Sorry that was directed at bakedalasker

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:36 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Doesn't seem the sort to fail at any business. I don't think football is that complicated that these calibre of business men can't fathom. Time will tell.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:37 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
jinks-rct wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

No one is doubting Tans businees acumen. However football is a totally different animal to property.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:43 pm

imagine being dragged around that on boxing day :cry:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
jinks-rct wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

No one is doubting Tans businees acumen. However football is a totally different animal to property.

What about oil and football? Any closer?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:51 pm

All I'm really starting to say is you don't become a millionaire or billionaire by owning a football club. Usually you've made your fortune in a totally unrelated business. But business is business and I think you do people like VT a huge disservice by doubting whether they can get to grips with running a football club.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:07 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Doesn't seem the sort to fail at any business. I don't think football is that complicated that these calibre of business men can't fathom. Time will tell.

It is true that the football business is littered with failed owners who were very successful in other business.

But I agree with you that VT is someone who doesn't see failure as an option. I have a theory that he sees turning a failed almost bankrupt football club into a successful PROFITABLE business (as well as a successful football club) as the ultimate challenge.

I honestly see his vision is to float us on the Singapore or Hong Kong stock market in 5 to 10 years while the rest of the football community bow their heads in absolute admiration.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:30 pm

Trying to make money from a football club alone is a risky business but the malaysians will no doubt run it as part of a few companies

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:47 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
jinks-rct wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

I 100% agree with u Ian and I hope Tan proves us wrong.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:37 pm

jinks-rct wrote:Trying to make money from a football club alone is a risky business but the malaysians will no doubt run it as part of a few companies

if they are jinks then they are not losing money really if the other parts of the company are profitable.pumping money in isn,t exactly the same as losing money.if the tax laws allow him to have many companies under one umberella then the loss will be taken from the profit of the others.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:58 pm

Apparently the Glaziers use Man utd,s merchandise money to prop up their failing shopping Malls in the U.S. that's not to say Tan will need to. I Don't think our merchandise sales would amount to anything much on a worldwide scale. Tan is a successful business man , no doubts . But don't think they can't make mistakes . Look at Richard Bransons venture with Virgin Cola a disaster. I just can't grasp how he is running the club from afar and we are running up even more frightening debt. If it goes tits up it will be curtains. The people he has running the club look like they are kept in the dark. I believe they didn't want us to go up last season. We the fans knew we needed 2 or 3 top players and it could have been a success . We have gone backwards.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:12 pm

I think TAN knows EXACTLY what he is doing and everyone should just relax and give him the time to deliver....

Failure is not an option and he will want to conquer this challenge.....

Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:25 pm

Malky must be so excited yet nervous as hell!!!

We know the scouting network and vetting he has introduced so he will be very much the "football man" and VT will be driving the club as a business increasing income, commercial deals and sponsors.

The rebrand will no doubt open tie ins for us with commercial partners hence the need for red as the favoured colour. VT is already a big hitter out there so we could even be ahead of the big premier clubs attempting to get into the far east markets. But make no mistake he will want Premier League football.

Think this is a very exciting time ahead.