Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

TLG writes about Rebranding

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:00 am

TLG(Dave Sugarman)
(from his facebook)
and his latest poem/song on the rebranding.

To the the tune of That's Amore:

When traditions are lost and your colour's the cost,
That's re-branding.
If your club's currency is its identity,
That's re-branding.
When your emblem has gone and your badge is all wrong,
That's re-branding.
If you've got a new kit and it looks really shit,
That's re-branding.

When a gun's to your head and you're told red or dead,
That's re-branding.
If your soul has been sold for a bag of fool's gold,
That's re-branding.
When you know your support can be easily bought,
That's re-branding.
If you're told no more debt but it won't happen yet,
That's re-branding.

When the owner gets bored and the fans are ignored,
That's re-branding.
If his vision is red but it's all in his head,
That's re-branding.
When his number one fan is an ex-Valley RAM,
That's re-branding.
If your new motto's shit and the fanbase is split,
That's re-branding.

When your club's always broke and becoming a joke,
That's re-branding.
If your future depends on your Far Eastern friends,
That's re-branding.
When the way your club's run means that football's no fun,
That's re-branding.
If you'll give it a miss coz they're taking the piss,
That's re-branding.

Re: TLG writes about Rebranding

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:05 am

Fair play thats a lot better than his Postman Pat effort :lol:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:07 am

He'll have a lot more time to write these type of poems, now he's abandoned the club he claims to support!

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:08 am

Overthemoon wrote:He'll have a lot more time to write these type of poems, now he's abandoned the club he claims to support!

No abandonment about it. Man sticking to his beliefs. I applaud him and am taking a similair stance myself.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:12 am

At least the guy is giving Carl a break here as now it seems Gwyn is the target for name calling, but I'm sure Gwyn will deal with it on top of everything else he has to deal with this week.

Ill timed and highly insensitive in my opinion.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:13 am

CP76 wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:He'll have a lot more time to write these type of poems, now he's abandoned the club he claims to support!

No abandonment about it. Man sticking to his beliefs. I applaud him and am taking a similair stance myself.

I never said he wasn't sticking to his beliefs or that he wasn't fully entitled to them, but how is not attending matches and walking away from the team that you supposedly support, NOT abandonment? :?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:16 am

Overthemoon wrote:
CP76 wrote:

I never said he wasn't sticking to his beliefs or that he wasn't fully entitled to them, but how is not attending matches and walking away from the team that you supposedly support, NOT abandonment? :?

Because the rebranding has made it a different club. The old club has died. If someone dies you are not abandoning them.

Cardiff City Bluebirds 1908-2012. RIP.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:18 am

castleblue wrote:At least the guy is giving Carl a break here as now it seems Gwyn is the target for name calling, but I'm sure Gwyn will deal with it on top of everything else he has to deal with this week.

To be fair to Gwyn he did say not to pussyfoot around him he was still up for the debate and banter.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:21 am

CP76 wrote:
castleblue wrote:At least the guy is giving Carl a break here as now it seems Gwyn is the target for name calling, but I'm sure Gwyn will deal with it on top of everything else he has to deal with this week.

To be fair to Gwyn he did say not to pussyfoot around him he was still up for the debate and banter.

Don't really see that as debate, banter maybe but in my opinion highly insensitive.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:28 am

Spot on mate what a tw*t tlg is :twisted:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:29 am

the old club died years ago

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:31 am

CP76 wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
CP76 wrote:

Because the rebranding has made it a different club. The old club has died. If someone dies you are not abandoning them.

We're still Cardiff City, The Bluebirds and as it's been mentioned umpteen times before, none of us started following Cardiff City because of the bluebird, or the colour blue!

As it's so far back now and I was only a young boy when my father took me to my first game, I can't even remember if I knew that we played in blue, that we had a Bluebird on the badge, or that we were called the Bluebirds!

I'd have still been excited to watch Cardiff City and I was there with my father when we beat Real Madrid, irrespective of which colour we played in, because we were Cardiff City!

Yes, I'd prefer to watch us play in blue than red, but whilst everybody is entitled to do so, I think that people who walk away now, are cutting their nose off to spite their face! :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:39 am

The man is just a bit too strange and weird for my liking

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:55 am

well mate,i did start supporting city cos they played in blue.it gave us a separate identity from those egg chasers.you the know the ones.red shirt three feathers. out there on international day never seen the rest of the year.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:58 am

Overthemoon wrote: none of us started following Cardiff City because of the bluebird, or the colour blue!

Speak for yourself by all means pal! But not for me.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:06 am

CP76 wrote:
Overthemoon wrote: none of us started following Cardiff City because of the bluebird, or the colour blue!

Wasn't trying to speak for you butty :) , but are you now saying that you only started following Cardiff City then, because we played in blue and had a Bluebird on our badge? :?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:08 am

skiprat wrote:well mate,i did start supporting city cos they played in blue.it gave us a separate identity from those egg chasers.you the know the ones.red shirt three feathers. out there on international day never seen the rest of the year.

Was it just because we played in blue then, or would any colour other than red have sufficed?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:08 am

Overthemoon wrote:
CP76 wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
CP76 wrote:

We're still Cardiff City, The Bluebirds and as it's been mentioned umpteen times before, none of us started following Cardiff City because of the bluebird, or the colour blue!

As it's so far back now and I was only a young boy when my father took me to my first game, I can't even remember if I knew that we played in blue, that we had a Bluebird on the badge, or that we were called the Bluebirds!

I'd have still been excited to watch Cardiff City and I was there with my father when we beat Real Madrid, irrespective of which colour we played in, because we were Cardiff City!

Yes, I'd prefer to watch us play in blue than red, but whilst everybody is entitled to do so, I think that people who walk away now, are cutting their nose off to spite their face! :ayatollah:

When I first went with my dad there was no badge or crest on the shirt and I also remember one year where we lost the white shorts and socks for blue. After a couple of years the word "Bluebirds" appeared on the shirt and then in the late 60's a badge, awhite disc with a Bluebird on it appeared. Back in those days we all talked about watching "The City" and not "The Bluebirds". Yes the fans would chant "Bluebirds" but not as much as "City".

In my opinion many who claim the club has died or are losing their traditions can only talk from the time they have been watching Cardiff, yes changing the shirt colour is a big change for all of us but it doesn't have to be forever.

I can remember my dad's workmate who we went to gameswith say he would "Never watch the City again" after we sold Toshack but he was back when we played Real Madrid, and stayed after.

Whatever your views on the rebranding I will never get my head around the claim the club had died or someone not going to watch games. The only thing that will change is the colour of the shirt, the badge has changed somany times I couldn't really care, and for me that will never be a deal breaker. Never.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:13 am

i thought propaganda was banned since the World Wars
:lol: :old:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:20 am

castleblue wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
CP76 wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
CP76 wrote:

When I first went with my dad there was no badge or crest on the shirt and I also remember one year where we lost the white shorts and socks for blue. After a couple of years the word "Bluebirds" appeared on the shirt and then in the late 60's a badge, awhite disc with a Bluebird on it appeared. Back in those days we all talked about watching "The City" and not "The Bluebirds". Yes the fans would chant "Bluebirds" but not as much as "City".

In my opinion many who claim the club has died or are losing their traditions can only talk from the time they have been watching Cardiff, yes changing the shirt colour is a big change for all of us but it doesn't have to be forever.

I can remember my dad's workmate who we went to gameswith say he would "Never watch the City again" after we sold Toshack but he was back when we played Real Madrid, and stayed after.

Whatever your views on the rebranding I will never get my head around the claim the club had died or someone not going to watch games. The only thing that will change is the colour of the shirt, the badge has changed somany times I couldn't really care, and for me that will never be a deal breaker. Never.

Another good post Gary! :ayatollah:

I'm old enough to remember Toshack leaving and remember watching Cardiff struggle to beat Tonyrefail in the Welsh Cup at Tonyrefail 1-0, with Toshack and all the stars of the day in the team, who were the mainstay of the team who beat Real Madrid!

I also remember the empty feeling in my stomach and being quite p!$$ed off as well, when I found out that he was being sold for £110,000 to Liverpool, as I felt that the club were showing no ambition in this sale, given that we were quite high up in the old Second Division at that time!

What a difference now, to hearing continual stories about our club turning down umpteen millions for the likes of Whittingham and trying to bring back the likes of Bellamy to the club!

Whenever we've had the up and coming stars in the past, we've always sold them, so it's a refreshing change to see our club bidding for today's up and coming stars, even if they don't always choose to come to play for us!

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:25 am

Overthemoon wrote:
CP76 wrote:

Wasn't trying to speak for you butty :) , but are you now saying that you only started following Cardiff City then, because we played in blue and had a Bluebird on our badge? :?

You said "None of us"

And I started following Cardiff because I wanted to be a football hooligan.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:27 am

CP76 wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
CP76 wrote:

You said "None of us"

So would you have not started following Cardiff as a football hooligan, had we played in a different colour? :?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:30 am

Overthemoon wrote:
CP76 wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
CP76 wrote:

You said "None of us"

So would you have not started following Cardiff as a football hooligan, had we played in a different colour? :?

Probably not.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:32 am

Overthemoon wrote:
castleblue wrote:

Another good post Gary! :ayatollah:

I'm old enough to remember Toshack leaving and remember watching Cardiff struggle to beat Tonyrefail in the Welsh Cup at Tonyrefail 1-0, with Toshack and all the stars of the day in the team, who were the mainstay of the team who beat Real Madrid!

I also remember the empty feeling in my stomach and being quite p!$$ed off as well, when I found out that he was being sold for £110,000 to Liverpool, as I felt that the club were showing no ambition in this sale, given that we were quite high up in the old Second Division at that time!

What a difference now, to hearing continual stories about our club turning down umpteen millions for the likes of Whittingham and trying to bring back the likes of Bellamy to the club!

Whenever we've had the up and coming stars in the past, we've always sold them, so it's a refreshing change to see our club bidding for today's up and coming stars, even if they don't always choose to come to play for us!

We were all pissed off with the club selling Toshack but then we signed Warboys for 35k and I bet you remember him scoring that hatrick in the first 10 minutes against Carlisle just before the Madrid game.

I remember my dad loving it and turning to me ans saying "John Who" :lol:

£35k for a player and now we turn down millions and are signing players we could only dream about signing, all supported by the richest man ever to own our club. Your so right about the difference now till then.

Although some things never change like fans saying they will never go and watch the team again. ;)

:old: :old: :old: :old:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:33 am

CP76 wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
CP76 wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
CP76 wrote:

You said "None of us"

Probably not.

So if you lived in Newham, London, would you not have followed West Ham, because the Claret tainted an otherwise Blue shirt?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:04 pm

CP76 wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
CP76 wrote:

its not a diffrent club, were not playing at ninian anymore, tht was a change, has everything we acheived there been lost. has all tht history gone? If everything stays the same forever then we would fail. My local football team were low on funds and were going to close but a sponsor came in and saved our club but we had to completly change the shirt. And il tell you something, we didnt give a crap, We were going to survive for a year or 2 more, Everyone was happy because at the end of the day everything else at the club was the same, the same staff, the same players, the same ethos. it wasnt a diffrent club just a slight change. Its the people tht make a club not a shirt .

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:58 pm

CP76 wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
CP76 wrote:

got to agree with this :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:08 pm

krabb wrote:
CP76 wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
CP76 wrote:

got to agree with this :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Why? Somebody forced you? :) :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:40 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:The man is just a bit too strange and weird for my liking

I don't normally like saying things like that about an individual, but after reading that poem/song?? I couldn't agree more.

It is just so f**king weird

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:44 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
bluebirdbaz wrote:The man is just a bit too strange and weird for my liking

I don't normally like saying things like that about an individual, but after reading that poem/song?? I couldn't agree more.

It is just so f**king weird

I just think that he's sad, as I've read many of his blog reports and always found them well written and informative, but why he felt the need to spend so much time writing that little ditty, I have no idea!