Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Why no Swans players in the England team

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:19 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
Well Roy didn't agree with you nor capello and I can't remember anyone talking about how England were missing them. Apart from the bitter and twisted egotistical Rio of course. Seriously though Sinclair and Britton? Really?

As I said, on form Britton and Dyer should have walked into that squad.

Britton completely ran games against the likes of Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool last season and Dyer was head and shoulders above any right winger in the country.

Dyer - a bit of an exaggeration. Got in the team of the year did he?

No, because he plays for little old Swansea. Name me a right winger who had a better season.

As for Leon, Alan Curbishley speaks sense http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -31284084/

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:21 pm

NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

Been said already but it's simply because they aren't good enough. Honestly who do you think you have that is?

Britton was far superior to Henderson last season.

Dyer did far more the Oxlaide-Chamberlain

Sinclair was much better than Downing

And Graham scored more than Defoe and Carroll.

And these players are familiar with a possession style of football that is needed to be successful at International level these days.

He has a point,

Dyer probably too small would be about as effective as dennis wise,
I certainly think sinclair would of been useful he is as good as welbeck , welbeck got lucky with his goals yes apart from that isolated against good players.

their would be no harm in throwing a few players in the mix not to mention they are quite a fit side, Englands overall fitness was SHOCKING
MILNER TERRY, PARKER, ROONEY , CARROL LESCOT ASHLEY COLE, EVEN WALCOT CONSIDERING HIS ATHLETIC ABILITY. ITS OBVIOUSLY THEIR DIET
YOU ONLY NEED TO LOOK AT THEIR BODY'S

A FOOTBALLER SHOULD BE RIPPED CUT AND LEAN,

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:23 pm

sloper_road_legend wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

Been said already but it's simply because they aren't good enough. Honestly who do you think you have that is?

And these players are familiar with a possession style of football that is needed to be successful at International level these days.

He has a point,

Dyer probably too small would be about as effective as dennis wise,
I certainly think sinclair would of been useful he is as good as welbeck , welbeck got lucky with his goals yes apart from that isolated against good players.

their would be no harm in throwing a few players in the mix not to mention they are quite a fit side, Englands overall fitness was SHOCKING
MILNER TERRY, PARKER, ROONEY , CARROL LESCOT ASHLEY COLE, EVEN WALCOT CONSIDERING HIS ATHLETIC ABILITY. ITS OBVIOUSLY THEIR DIET

Fella Sinclair is nowhere near as good as wellbeck. Even jacks who I works with thought he had an average season at best.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:23 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
Well Roy didn't agree with you nor capello and I can't remember anyone talking about how England were missing them. Apart from the bitter and twisted egotistical Rio of course. Seriously though Sinclair and Britton? Really?

Britton completely ran games against the likes of Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool last season and Dyer was head and shoulders above any right winger in the country.

Well put it this way, he destroyed Englands best FB in Cole and got him sent off, made him look a right mug.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:31 pm

NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

No, because he plays for little old Swansea. Name me a right winger who had a better season.

As for Leon, Alan Curbishley speaks sense http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -31284084/

The thing with wingers these days is that many play on the opposite wing or at least switch.. So I can't tell you who played where for the bulk of the season but in terms of being able to play RW I would take young or pienarr who are right footed or even Johnson before dyer

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:35 pm

jackf wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

Well put it this way, he destroyed Englands best FB in Cole and got him sent off, made him look a right mug.

One game? First yellow a bit harsh too? If he was that good he would have made the team of the year was my point

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:39 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
jackf wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

One game? First yellow a bit harsh too? If he was that good he would have made the team of the year was my point

I just picked one game against the European Champions and a FB who many say is the best in the world. To be honest whilst you could argue about players all day long Leon for Henderson and dyer for Downing is a no brainer.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:48 pm

jackf wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
jackf wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

I just picked one game against the European Champions and a FB who many say is the best in the world. To be honest whilst you could argue about players all day long Leon for Henderson and dyer for Downing is a no brainer.

Dyer wouldn't have surprised me but then I would have still taken johnson instead of downing. Britton never going to go and as I've said Henderson was more for the experience and development. Why take an uncapped ~30 year old to sit on the bench?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:51 pm

jackf wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
jackf wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

Christ alive I think your bigging them up a bit too much. Leon for henderson is a joke Britton is a decent player but before you start talking bout his pass statistics remember how many of them go 5 yards side ways or backwards. Henderson was the reserve choice for Lampard. Downing should never have gone but there are fair better wingers than him and dyer who could have gone

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:54 pm

NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

I just read that link. Curbs doesn't mention leon and the main quote about him is from his agent :lol:

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:58 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

I just read that link. Curbs doesn't mention leon and the main quote about him is from his agent :lol:

So who exactly do you think he is referring to here?
I look at Swansea last year who came up into the Premier League, Brendan Rodgers encouraged his players to pass the ball, take care of the ball and keep possession.

“They went and did it in the Premier League. If you encourage it then you will have a chance and I’m sure Roy Hodgson will start looking down that route

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:02 am

NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

So who exactly do you think he is referring to here?
I look at Swansea last year who came up into the Premier League, Brendan Rodgers encouraged his players to pass the ball, take care of the ball and keep possession.

“They went and did it in the Premier League. If you encourage it then you will have a chance and I’m sure Roy Hodgson will start looking down that route

He is referring to Roy introducing that possession style of football generally, not picking all the swans players for England! Wales online makes the link to Leon and then his agent bumps his gums. I think you've read what you wanted to see I'm afraid.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:08 am

Carpe Diem wrote:
He is referring to Roy introducing that possession style of football generally, not picking all the swans players for England! Wales online makes the link to Leon and then his agent bumps his gums. I think you've read what you wanted to see I'm afraid.

And I think you ignore what you wanted to. He refers to our possession game. Seeing as Leon was the best player in Europe at keeping possession I think it's reasonable to assume he had him in mind.

But then you're never going to accept that so why bother continuing this dialogue.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:14 am

NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

And I think you ignore what you wanted to. He refers to our possession game. Seeing as Leon was the best player in Europe at keeping possession I think it's reasonable to assume he had him in mind.

But then you're never going to accept that so why bother continuing this dialogue.

Now youre being silly and a slave to stats. Completely pointless as If all you do is pass it 2 yards. That makes you a great player does it? Better than the barca lot or indeed a hundred other midfielders across the top teams in Europe? You're right let's end this dialogue as I thought we were being serious. Sent me off to bed laughing though and for that I thank you. Until next time....

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:20 am

Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

Now youre being silly and a slave to stats. Completely pointless as If all you do is pass it 2 yards. That makes you a great player does it? Better than the barca lot or indeed a hundred other midfielders across the top teams in Europe? You're right let's end this dialogue as I thought we were being serious. Sent me off to bed laughing though and for that I thank you. Until next time....

No, it means he is able to keep possession under pressure at the highest level aginat some of the best players in the world rather than just hoof it and lose the ball to the opposition. It doesn't matter in his position how far he passes the ball, it's all about keeping the thing and moving the opposition around looking for openings.

I know this is a hard concept for a Cardiff fan to understand given the dross you have to put up with.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:29 am

NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

No, it means he is able to keep possession under pressure at the highest level aginat some of the best players in the world rather than just hoof it and lose the ball to the opposition. It doesn't matter in his position how far he passes the ball, it's all about keeping the thing and moving the opposition around looking for openings.

I know this is a hard concept for a Cardiff fan to understand given the dross you have to put up with.

It's just these stats are nonsense. Give me someone on 80% pass rate but who actually creates assists or killer balls that lead to assists than someone who passes it back to his centre halves every other pass. Sounds like dross to me. You've got awful touchy so perhaps you need your sleep too. Not seen you this rattled since you admitted Wigan were a bigger club than you :shock:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:35 am

Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

It's just these stats are nonsense. Give me someone on 80% pass rate but who actually creates assists or killer balls that lead to assists than someone who passes it back to his centre halves every other pass. Sounds like dross to me. You've got awful touchy so perhaps you need your sleep too. Not seen you this rattled since you admitted Wigan were a bigger club than you :shock:

You're failing to understand the different role of the holding midfielder who is there to win the ball, recycle possession and set the tempo. Think Claude Makalele. How many assists and killer balls did he play? Yet he would be in your team every time.

You're the only one mentioning stats. I'm talking about watching the player at first hand play against some of the best players in the world and basically making them look silly.

Your only argument against this is that stats mean nothing. And yet you claim I'm rattled. Quite bizarre.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:40 am

NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

You're failing to understand the different role of the holding midfielder who is there to win the ball, recycle possession and set the tempo. Think Claude Makalele. How many assists and killer balls did he play? Yet he would be in your team every time.

You're the only one mentioning stats. I'm talking about watching the player at first hand play against some of the best players in the world and basically making them look silly.

Your only argument against this is that stats mean nothing. And yet you claim I'm rattled. Quite bizarre.

Errr, your not referring to stats when you proclaimed Britton as the best player in Europe at keeping possession? So what it came from a poll of players or some other vote? Please set me straight then as to how this title you gave him was decided if not by you clinging to some stats? Come on now try and keep up

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:40 am

NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

Doesn't make Britton anywhere near international quality and Henderson was taken more for experience and development. Likewise dyer v OxC plus I don't think many arsenal fans would swap with you.
I'm amazed that downing was picked but then Sinclair is nowhere near good enough either.
Defoe is a better natural finisher than graham but was only going as a squad player and he has experience. Carroll is the classic British number 9 so not really comparable. Scored a great header too fair play.

In summary, your lot would have brought nothing to the party cos they ain't good enough

I disagree.

WELL f**k OFF TO A FORUM THAT GIVES A f**k ABOUT THE JACKS

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:48 am

Carpe Diem wrote:
Errr, your not referring to stats when you proclaimed Britton as the best player in Europe at keeping possession? So what it came from a poll of players or some other vote? Please set me straight then as to how this title you gave him was decided if not by you clinging to some stats? Come on now try and keep up

Indeed, the stats do prove that don't they but apart from them, as I said I saw first hand how he played. It seems you ignored the rest of my post though for some reason but would prefer the "try to keep up" patronising nonsense instead.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:59 am

To be honest it would have been nuts to bring a thirty year old uncapped midfielder that had spent the vast majority of his career in lower tier football and had spent only one full season in the premiership into the England squad.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:05 am

NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

Indeed, the stats do prove that don't they but apart from them, as I said I saw first hand how he played. It seems you ignored the rest of my post though for some reason but would prefer the "try to keep up" patronising nonsense instead.

Didn't ignore it just wasnt important. Didn't need a lesson on what the role was and was more interested in highlighting you contradicting yourself. But you watching him doesn't qualify you to call him the best in Europe as there are many more leagues and what qualifies you anyway? Slightly biased no doubt but hey aren't we all. Bloody hell though you talk like you won the title or something! As for patronising, isn't that was you lot are trying to do every day by the fact that you are posting on a rival forum? And before you moan I'm ok with you being on here but you're a little hypocritical don't you think?

It's ok fella I could feel you cringing from here after your last post but we all make mistakes. You've done your best to make the case for Britton including manipulating articles and using stats (although you didn't, or did you?). Bottom line he ain't good enough and on that we will agree to disagree. Ive enjoyed it though and I do admit to feeling a little smug. Anyway I'll let you have the last word tonight as our guest

Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:06 am

Aramore wrote:To be honest it would have been nuts to bring a thirty year old uncapped midfielder that had spent the vast majority of his career in lower tier football and had spent only one full season in the premiership into the England squad.

Not if he's the best in Europe surely? :lol:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:53 am

NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

walcott?, Valencia? Young?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:55 am

Carpe Diem wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

i could sit infront of the back four and pass it back all day long

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:32 am

Can't get over excited about an England thread but hear are my thoughts.

Of the jack players from last season the only 1 that is good enough for England is Caulker-far better than some of the crap put in by woy to weplace cahill.

Britton has a great pass completion rate but how many of those balls set up goals. Vast majority are sideways/backwards (nothing wrong with that fact as it keeps the ball in your team)

Graham is an average premier league striker-will score for fun in championship but in PL will be a 10-15 goal striker.

Dyer is good player (pr1ck of highest order) whose greatest assett is his pace. At international level he would struggle as it is not just about pace.

Sinclair is a great championship player but not a top premier league player and would never make it for England.

Personally i would love to see 5 jacks playing for england as that would mean that england were desperate and wold struggle to qualify for a major tournament.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:50 am

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Can't get over excited about an England thread but hear are my thoughts.

Of the jack players from last season the only 1 that is good enough for England is Caulker-far better than some of the crap put in by woy to weplace cahill.

Britton has a great pass completion rate but how many of those balls set up goals. Vast majority are sideways/backwards (nothing wrong with that fact as it keeps the ball in your team)

Graham is an average premier league striker-will score for fun in championship but in PL will be a 10-15 goal striker.

Dyer is good player (pr1ck of highest order) whose greatest assett is his pace. At international level he would struggle as it is not just about pace.

Sinclair is a great championship player but not a top premier league player and would never make it for England.

Personally i would love to see 5 jacks playing for england as that would mean that england were desperate and wold struggle to qualify for a major tournament.

How can you make a judgement on Swans players when you don't watch them?

I watched 2 Swans games last year (albeit in the away end) and I grudgingly thought they were superb. Don't let you hatred of them cloud your judgment.

From what I've seen of England this summer, they could do far worse than include Dyer, Sinclair and Britton to the team.

We'd love to be in their position (debt free with owners who love the tradition of the club) and I would give my right arm to have a 10-15 goal-a-season Premier League striker in our team

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:57 am

NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

I would not argue with your comments but in reality none of the above players are international class which shows the lack of talent england have available to them.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:00 am

The originator of this debate Ferdinand is a bitter ageing player who has been told all his career he is the greatest centre half in the world and can't accept he is no longer the captain forget about not being in the squad.

The Swansea comment is disingenuous, if he was on a selection panel he wouldn't have picked Sinclair over Young, Brittan over Carrick, Milner of the Champions for Dyer; Graham for Wellbeck the list goes on. He is just having a temper tantrum making all sorts of daft comments.

I work with a few bright Jacks who are concerned the advantage they had last season has been taken away, with the exposure of this possession tactic they use. They are not Barca, but the tactic has caught out a few "lazy" premier league teams, it won't be the same next season (Rodger knew this).
Wimbledon and Sheff united caught teams out for a few seasons when they played totally the opposite in the 80's (long ball to a team of 6'2" monsters) but were soon sussed.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:52 pm

NJ73 wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

all a matter of opinion who is better! and guess england manager doesnt rate them so hard luck!!! and proves not as good as you think you are! or are you more expert than england manager? ( maybe you are on fifa 2012) :lol: