Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Toshack and Tan

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:46 am

It's nearly 42 years since Toshack was sold by an unambitious, parochial, short sighted and greedy board of directors and with it any hopes of getting to Div 1(Prem). - Quote 1970 and for years after-' I'll never watch the City again/ I stopped going because the club are rubbish and going nowhere'

Major investors have now put millions into the club with more to follow but there's an unpopular re-branding that goes with it - Quote 2012 - 'I'll never watch the City again'

Interesting contrast?

Re: Toshack and Tan

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:14 am

Interesting contrast indeed. I remember the City selling Toshack, and that 5-1 at Sheffield United. Remember the disappointment well, and people vowing never to go down there again. But I stuck with CCFC. Was 13 at the time. Enjoyed the roler coaster since, especially 75/76, the best season ever. Old div.3. We were always so proud of our club. We were unique.

Now is different though. It is the same club (anyone done Metaphysics?!!!), but it has changed beyond any recognition. I had already renewed my ST, and won't be asking for a refund. Renewed my parking permit too. That's £549 in total, plus a round trip of 140 miles to CCS from Carmarthen each game. Difficult to describe how I feel. Just a massive disappointment, and a fair bit of anger. I'll go to the games, away too (saw 10 away last season). See how it goes, but it won't be the same. Will it ever be the same? Never worn replica shirts, but won't buy any merchandise from now on. Probably not even programmes, though I have collected them all my life.

Reading the report of Wednesday's meeting, the local club officials (all yes-men, or company men) know what a mess up Tan has done. Malky, more than anyone, knows. He's a football man. And the debt just grows and grows.

Really don't want to be a drama queen, but this is the lowest I have ever felt about Cardiff City. But perhaps blokes like me are not the future of football.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:03 pm

I started going to the City in 1968 and was there for the Toshack 'era' and I recall him being sold to Liverpool for £110k and the 5-1 drubbing to Sheff Utd away. There was huge disappointment at that time but continued to follow City home and away.

The difference with today's re branding is the fact that a part of history is being given up, I.e. The club colours, badge and what's next? They are a part of the clubs history and should not be given up unless paramount with no other alternative. We do have to move with times and I always encouraged that at my place of work but on the other hand history should not be thrown away. I suggest that when you start doing this you are taking up a new identity and are replacing the former.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:06 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:I started going to the City in 1968 and was there for the Toshack 'era' and I recall him being sold to Liverpool for £110k and the 5-1 drubbing to Sheff Utd away. There was huge disappointment at that time but continued to follow City home and away.

The difference with today's re branding is the fact that a part of history is being given up, I.e. The club colours, badge and what's next? They are a part of the clubs history and should not be given up unless paramount with no other alternative. We do have to move with times and I always encouraged that at my place of work but on the other hand history should not be thrown away. I suggest that when you start doing this you are taking up a new identity and are replacing the former.

I am the same vintage as you and LBB and and have been on the same long trek.

I'm not sure you can throw history away because it actually happened. What you can do is forget it or try to eradicate it like the politicians do to us but I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that.

A mate compared the re-branding to army regiments merging. The history definately doesn't go away and is revered even if the uniform/badge changes. With something like that it's always the positive look forward that works.If you don't do that then it won't work for you.

Football definately aint the same as it was in 1970 and it probably wasn't much different then to how it was in 1927. But then the pace of change in the world over the past 40 years and the last 20 years in particular has been incredible. Social changes,Sky, premier league and ridiculous amounts of money have made the game what it is today and if we want a decent football club to follow we have to go with it. We always wanted investment like this and perhaps we should have been careful what we wished for but at least we still have a club.We have been told we will remain as Cardiff City FC

Personally I'd rather things were more like they were in the 1970's (with the money in place!)but we can't stop the world and get off.But for Mr Tan there is every chance we may not have had a club at all or something in the lowest divisions at best (Whitley confirmed how bust we were at the time of the play off final).

Mr Tan's investment is classified as debt but it's his money and not owed to a third party and the stated intention is to turn it into equity when Sam is out of the way.

We'll just have to see how it goes but get behind Malky and the team.

I remember how low I felt at the time of 'Black Wednesday' and don't want that again.