Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

UEFA SUPER CUP 2014 TO BE HOSTED IN CARDIFF

Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:56 am

BBC Sport "UEFA's executive committee decides Cardiff will host the European Super Cup in 2014"
Great news for the Country and most importantly the City. :ayatollah:

Cardiff hosts 2014 Uefa Super Cup final

The 2014 European Super Cup final will be held in Cardiff, Uefa have announced.

Cardiff's Millennium Stadium is the only areva in the city capable of hosting the game, but it has yet to be formally announced as the venue.

Champions League holders Chelsea face Europa League winners Atlético Madrid in the 2012 final at Monaco on Friday, 31 August.

Prague's Eden Stadium hosts the 2013 Super Cup final.

Lionel Messi and Cesc Fàbregas scored Barcelon's goals as they beat Porto 2-0 in the 2011 Final, also held at Monaco's Stade Louis II venue.

Re: UEFA SUPER CUP 2014 TO BE HOSTED IN CARDIFF

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:04 am

Great news. :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:06 am

Great news, about time they moved it from Monaco! Next step has gotta be appying for the Champions League Final!!!

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:22 am

rhys1927ccfc wrote:BBC Sport "UEFA's executive committee decides Cardiff will host the European Super Cup in 2014"

Will post the article as soon as it comes up.

Oh dear the nationalists on here wont be happy that more foreigners are going to be allowed to come and play football in Wales :lol:

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:41 am

reverendjames wrote:
rhys1927ccfc wrote:BBC Sport "UEFA's executive committee decides Cardiff will host the European Super Cup in 2014"

Oh dear the nationalists on here wont be happy that more foreigners are going to be allowed to come and play football in Wales :lol:

Pointless post alert!! :lol:

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:43 am

reverendjames wrote:

Look out, 9 post wonder is about. :roll:

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:04 am

Cardiff hosts 2014 Uefa Super Cup final

The 2014 European Super Cup final will be held in Cardiff, Uefa have announced.

Cardiff's Millennium Stadium is the only areva in the city capable of hosting the game, but it has yet to be formally announced as the venue.

Champions League holders Chelsea face Europa League winners Atlético Madrid in the 2012 final at Monaco on Friday, 31 August.

Prague's Eden Stadium hosts the 2013 Super Cup final.

Lionel Messi and Cesc Fàbregas scored Barcelon's goals as they beat Porto 2-0 in the 2011 Final, also held at Monaco's Stade Louis II venue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/wales/1865 ... um=twitter :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:33 am

Very good news indeed. Fingers crossed all goes well and we can look forward to seeing the Champions League Final down the road in the coming years. :D

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:44 am

Great news, finally some recognition for the MillStad as a football venue :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:45 am

Will it be like the champions league final where it is pretty much impossible to get tickets?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:47 am

Jollffe wrote:Very good news indeed. Fingers crossed all goes well and we can look forward to seeing the Champions League Final down the road in the coming years. :D

Its fantastic news but cant see us ever getting a major final until Cardiff airport sorts itself out and introduces a proper schedule rather than forty different ways to get to Spain.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:47 am

According to UEFA website the game will take place at CCS.

The 2014 and 2015 UEFA Super Cup hosts were assigned. In 2014 the UEFA Super Cup will take place at Cardiff City Stadium, Wales, while in 2015 the match will be held at the Mikheil Meskhi Stadium in Tbilisi, Georgia. The Executive Committee also agreed a new date for the UEFA Super Cup. As from 2014 it will take place in mid-August pending ratification of the new international match calendar by FIFA (as of 2014). The venue for the 2013 UEFA Super Cup has already been announced as Eden Stadium, Prague on 30 August 2013.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/aboutuefa/orga ... 36837.html

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:53 am

carlccfc wrote:According to UEFA website the game will take place at CCS.

The 2014 and 2015 UEFA Super Cup hosts were assigned. In 2014 the UEFA Super Cup will take place at Cardiff City Stadium, Wales, while in 2015 the match will be held at the Mikheil Meskhi Stadium in Tbilisi, Georgia. The Executive Committee also agreed a new date for the UEFA Super Cup. As from 2014 it will take place in mid-August pending ratification of the new international match calendar by FIFA (as of 2014). The venue for the 2013 UEFA Super Cup has already been announced as Eden Stadium, Prague on 30 August 2013.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/aboutuefa/orga ... 36837.html

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:56 pm

I think I read somewhere that UEFA looked at Cardiff as a possible venue for the Champions League final not long after the Millennium Stadium opened. But, there was certain criteria that it did not meet, things like hospitality and press areas had to be a certain distance from the stadium and other beaurocratic nonsense. The Cardiff RFC ground apparently was to blame.

Still I wouldn't mind seeing a final of that magnitude in the Millennium Stadium.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:58 pm

i worked at the mill stad for years and uefa are highly impressed with it ,the only thing it lacks is for corporate they wouldnt allow for cardiff arms park to have corpaorate tents etc it has to be on site but maybe this is the first chance for them to look at how it will work,i think the quote is a mistake i cant see the super cup being at our ground ,im positvie this will be at the mill stad.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:01 pm

d20 wrote:i worked at the mill stad for years and uefa are highly impressed with it ,the only thing it lacks is for corporate they wouldnt allow for cardiff arms park to have corpaorate tents etc it has to be on site but maybe this is the first chance for them to look at how it will work,i think the quote is a mistake i cant see the super cup being at our ground ,im positvie this will be at the mill stad.

Looks like it will be CCS. Past Euro super cup finals have been staged in smaller capacity grounds.

Didn't Barca play a friendly at the Mill stad? I'm sure I read Chris Wathan saying on Twitter he tried to get a few words with Puyol only to be told by him "Sorry mate I don't speak English, another time yes?" :lol: