Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Wales predicted to be independent in a generation

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:47 am

Wales produces 10% of the uk's electricity, a lot of the uk's water supply comes from Wales. Also a large proportion of the uk's gas and oil passes through Milford haven. Most of the uk's steel is produced in Wales! We'd be sorted as an independant state. Have the English by their balls!!

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:18 am

brecon bluebird ultra wrote:Wales produces 10% of the uk's electricity, a lot of the uk's water supply comes from Wales. Also a large proportion of the uk's gas and oil passes through Milford haven. Most of the uk's steel is produced in Wales! We'd be sorted as an independant state. Have the English by their balls!!

Taking the only actual statistic you posted, I can add my own. Wales' land mass is roughly 10% of the UK's land mass as well. Therefore, it makes enough electricity to power itself, and no difference would be made without its impact. Your other theories about water, steel, gas and oil are just as easy dismissible. Why yes, why a large proportion is currently made in Wales, that doesn't mean the other parts of the UK can't take over if need be, does it?

I should clarify though. I consider myself patriotically English, but also pro British and definetely not anti-welsh. I simply take offence when certain individuals on this forum apparently have ego problems and are determined to 'get one over' England, or any other country. It's a proud nation, much moreso than England and most other countries nowadays, but that's a good thing. But as with all things some people take it too far, in this case being proud of Wales is sometimes being turned into hostility against anyone that isn't Welsh.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:11 am

Andrew9545 wrote:
brecon bluebird ultra wrote:Wales produces 10% of the uk's electricity, a lot of the uk's water supply comes from Wales. Also a large proportion of the uk's gas and oil passes through Milford haven. Most of the uk's steel is produced in Wales! We'd be sorted as an independant state. Have the English by their balls!!

Taking the only actual statistic you posted, I can add my own. Wales' land mass is roughly 10% of the UK's land mass as well. Therefore, it makes enough electricity to power itself, and no difference would be made without its impact. Your other theories about water, steel, gas and oil are just as easy dismissible. Why yes, why a large proportion is currently made in Wales, that doesn't mean the other parts of the UK can't take over if need be, does it?

I should clarify though. I consider myself patriotically English, but also pro British and definetely not anti-welsh. I simply take offence when certain individuals on this forum apparently have ego problems and are determined to 'get one over' England, or any other country. It's a proud nation, much moreso than England and most other countries nowadays, but that's a good thing. But as with all things some people take it too far, in this case being proud of Wales is sometimes being turned into hostility against anyone that isn't Welsh.

top post mate.i,m english and british and defo not anti welsh.there is a point being missed by some of the welsh nats.the point is that they may not get the choice about leaving england because there is a movement growing for us to leave them.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:28 am

I don't want any individual to leave the UK at all, as I said earlier we combined are a nation capable of punching way, way above our own weight. None of our constituent countries are big or powerful enough on their own to stand up to the other world superpowers, and it's why to me leaving doesn't make any sense. I don't believe it genuinely hurts any country involved, and quite the opposite makes it more powerful. Can a country of only 9000 square miles area honestly stand alongside the rest of western Europe alone? The UK however can.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:54 am

Andrew9545 wrote:I don't want any individual to leave the UK at all, as I said earlier we combined are a nation capable of punching way, way above our own weight. None of our constituent countries are big or powerful enough on their own to stand up to the other world superpowers, and it's why to me leaving doesn't make any sense. I don't believe it genuinely hurts any country involved, and quite the opposite makes it more powerful. Can a country of only 9000 square miles area honestly stand alongside the rest of western Europe alone? The UK however can.

Ask Holland (similar size) or Luxembourg or if you're looking at populations Norway or Finland. At the end of the day every nation has the right to be free to determine it's own future. That right was taken away from the Welsh a long time ago.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:01 am

BlueGog wrote:
Andrew9545 wrote:I don't want any individual to leave the UK at all, as I said earlier we combined are a nation capable of punching way, way above our own weight. None of our constituent countries are big or powerful enough on their own to stand up to the other world superpowers, and it's why to me leaving doesn't make any sense. I don't believe it genuinely hurts any country involved, and quite the opposite makes it more powerful. Can a country of only 9000 square miles area honestly stand alongside the rest of western Europe alone? The UK however can.

Ask Holland (similar size) or Luxembourg or if you're looking at populations Norway or Finland. At the end of the day every nation has the right to be free to determine it's own future. That right was taken away from the Welsh a long time ago.

And what has Wales got to "Trade" exactly?

Wheres the money going to come from prop up our unemployed / workshy lazy b*stard scroungers?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:13 am

BlueGog wrote:

Holland is twice the size of Wales. Holland is 16,000 square miles, Wales 8000. Luxembourg is definetely an anomaly in my 'bigger the country the better' theory, but I think the point still stands.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:20 am

You only have to look at the idiot who predicted this. Do you really want her or her party running Wales?

Plaid would increase tax and drive away the steel industry and also drive away any future inward investment.

And Norway has oil and is not a member of the EU.

We would have to become a member state.

And that's what is really funny.

Wales leaves the UK and joins the EU and Wales will be free to do what it wants?

Germany will say jump and Plaid and Wales will say, 'how high?'......

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:21 am

And Holland is the same size as Wales?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:12 pm

irrelevant if Wales will become independent or not (as much as I love Wales). All European countries will create a united Europe, otherwise none of us will have a chance to survive economically against the strong Asian market. It makes sense, with the power of China alone, none of the European countries can even face competition by them. China basically owns the US already (due to the Yanks economy based on buying things with money they dont have). Ask yourselves, does it make sense to have all those countries acting independently? No it doesnt. Is it clever that every country has a different currency, so if you trade with another country, you lose money due to the currency exchange? No it doesnt. If it does, why doesnt Cardiff have its own money, Barry, Bridgend, Newport etc...?

I strongly believe, the European nations have got to work together closely, otherwise we all go down. The current EU with its parliament etc is a mess, I think we all agree on that. We need to sort that out, asap.
United we stand or divide we fall... and that includes the UK, with clowns such as UKIP or the Tories, who say "we rather hook up with the USA than with the EU..." yea great, that's really clever, so when they go down, cos the Chinese want their money back, the UK goes down as well. But "fiercly proud", to not have bent down to France or Germany, who will be still standing then... ;)

Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:29 pm

Hofmeister wrote:irrelevant if Wales will become independent or not (as much as I love Wales). All European countries will create a united Europe, otherwise none of us will have a chance to survive economically against the strong Asian market. It makes sense, with the power of China alone, none of the European countries can even face competition by them. China basically owns the US already (due to the Yanks economy based on buying things with money they dont have). Ask yourselves, does it make sense to have all those countries acting independently? No it doesnt. Is it clever that every country has a different currency, so if you trade with another country, you lose money due to the currency exchange? No it doesnt. If it does, why doesnt Cardiff have its own money, Barry, Bridgend, Newport etc...?

I strongly believe, the European nations have got to work together closely, otherwise we all go down. The current EU with its parliament etc is a mess, I think we all agree on that. We need to sort that out, asap.
United we stand or divide we fall... and that includes the UK, with clowns such as UKIP or the Tories, who say "we rather hook up with the USA than with the EU..." yea great, that's really clever, so when they go down, cos the Chinese want their money back, the UK goes down as well. But "fiercly proud", to not have bent down to France or Germany, who will be still standing then... ;)

Totally agree. It's independence within Europe that we need. At the moment Wales doesn't even receive all the european money due as it's creamed off in London. Here's to an independent Wales sitting at the table with all the other nations.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:51 pm

That's crap.

It's certain areas that get money based on their level of poverty.

Where did you get that shite that London 'hogs' all the EU money?

The truth is that since Romania joined the EU poverty has been redefined.

So, thanks to Romania the UK as a whole get's less money and the bar has been raised since Romania is now setting the standard for poverty.

Overnight large parts of the UK were not classed as being in poverty.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:54 pm

And LOL at Wales sitting at the EU table and having a equal voice.

We would have the Euro forced on us.

At the moment incase you have missed, the Eurozone is run with a iron fist by Germany.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Yippeeeeeeeeeeee.........That will be £170 million saved just on subsidising S4C for you little smurfs.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:That's crap.

It's certain areas that get money based on their level of poverty.

Where did you get that shite that London 'hogs' all the EU money?

The truth is that since Romania joined the EU poverty has been redefined.

So, thanks to Romania the UK as a whole get's less money and the bar has been raised since Romania is now setting the standard for poverty.

Overnight large parts of the UK were not classed as being in poverty.

I'm afraid your incorrect, many areas in Wales-the valleys, west and north of Wales are still classed as objective 1 areas i.e the poorest areas in Europe (Romania included). All money received by poor countries is match funded by the home governments throughout Europe, apart from Wales! London does not match fund the money. In other words we only get half the money due to us as a result after over 10 years of European money coming to Wales areas of our countries remain the poorest in Europe. And you still think we're better off under English rule! :oops:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:26 pm

No, you are talking utter shite.

EU money has been match funded. Do you want me to provide a source?

Why would match funding come from London? It would come from the Welsh Asembly. Where does the Welsh Asembly get it's money from?

And yes, Romania has now set the standards for poverty.

LOL at having it hard under the 'English'. We also have a chance to vote in the General Election.

Our students pay less than their English counterparts. Do you want me to list everything? It's late on a Sunday.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:56 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:No, you are talking utter shite.

EU money has been match funded. Do you want me to provide a source?

Why would match funding come from London? It would come from the Welsh Asembly. Where does the Welsh Asembly get it's money from?

And yes, Romania has now set the standards for poverty.

LOL at having it hard under the 'English'. We also have a chance to vote in the General Election.

Our students pay less than their English counterparts. Do you want me to list everything? It's late on a Sunday.

Since devolution we have been granted alot of great things so we cant complain and we gain a large sum of money from the UK goverment as large as london so too say we dont get enough is bollucks