Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

HEATON TO WATFORD, MCGINN TO STAY AT WATFORD

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:54 am

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/ ... d/?ref=rss

According to our local paper anyway. Not confirmed yet.

What can we expect from heaton? Don't really know too much about him.

p.s. i saw an article on here yesterday talking about you signing sean murray from us for 1m, made me smile. Most of us all believe he is more talented than young (who even though he had a terrible euros is still alright).

Re: HEATON TO WATFORD, MCGINN TO STAY AT WATFORD

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:57 am

Excellent goalie played well for us but our gaffer preferred Marshall, both goalies about the same, maybe Heaton edges it

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:00 am

fair enough. what is his kicking, shot stopping and command of the box like. i expect he has been brought in as no.1 ahead of loach who has been struggling recently.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:06 am

Heaton ex-man Utd Keeper and very underrated! He's been unlucky not to start all league games!
and he's a very good shop stopper and good at pens

Would be a great signing for you :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:09 am

Heatons kicking is very good, got a huge boot for a little man, he also talks and organises his defence well and is a good shot stopper. Only issue I had with heaton was his height, he's small for a keeper in this league. He tends to not come for crosses and gets lobbed a lot.
I'm hearing that the potential takeover with the udinese owners is stuttering. Think u would have to sell mcginn if it don't go through and malky would obviously know him after his time with u.
Just a question, who are watford linked with to replace deeney ?

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:15 am

Double G wrote:Heatonns kicking is very good, got a huge boot for a little man, he also talks and orgaises his defence well and is a good shot stopper. Only issue I had with heaton was his height, he's small for a keeper in this league. He tends to not come for crosses and gets lobbed a lot.
I'm hearing that the potential takeover with the udinese owners is stuttering. Think u would have to sell mcginn if it don't go through and malky would obviously know him after his time with u.
Just a question, who are watford linked with to replace deeney ?

thanks for the reply. loach has the same problem with commanding his box.

our local paper says the takeover has been completed and will be announced later today. we wouldnt have to sell mcginn as he is out of contract but apparently he has been at training all week and is expected to sign for watford in the coming days.

im not sure about who we will get to replace deeney. tommy smith and helguson top most wanted fans wanted lists, and with a bit of financial backing they look like reasonable options. i would expect us to get some udinese squad player to go up front as well and a couple of youngsters.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:19 am

A good keeper, especially on a free, no disrespect but I thought he would have been looking at someone going for promotion (unless Watford have high aspirations).
Pretty much what was mentioned above, good use of the ball, good shot stopper, doesnt really command his area and is a little short for a keeper. Would be an excellent signing for you though.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:21 am

You've got a good keeper if he joins. Bit small for a keeper but good reaction save but not good at coming for crosses or long punts from the back. I agree with earlier poster not much difference to Marshall but Malkey likes him. Wish he would command his box a little better.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:21 am

You've got a good keeper if he joins. Bit small for a keeper but good reaction save but not good at coming for crosses or long punts from the back. I agree with earlier poster not much difference to Marshall but Malkey likes him. Wish he would command his box a little better.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:24 am

cant speak highly enough of heaton
class act on and off the pitch,unlucky with marshall having a good season
will definetly get a warm reception when we play you

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:28 am

Heaton's a brilliant shot-stopper, kicking is superb, good at pens aswell.

Not every day you save a penalty from Steven Gerrard in a cup final ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_rMA9bHa0k Skip to 1:40

Saves Palace's first two pens here aswell :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_rMA9bHa0k First Palace pen 0:40

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:30 am

2blue2handle wrote:A good keeper, especially on a free, no disrespect but I thought he would have been looking at someone going for promotion (unless Watford have high aspirations).
Pretty much what was mentioned above, good use of the ball, good shot stopper, doesnt really command his area and is a little short for a keeper. Would be an excellent signing for you though.

I have to disagree with the commanding of the area bit here Luke, as Heaton continually shouts instructions to those in front of him and always appears eager to come off his line and help out the defence!

He's certainly hesitated on certain occasions, but then all goalies make mistakes!

The commanding of the area bit, is the area which makes Heaton a better all round goalie than Marshall IMO, as this is the part of his game, that is lacking in Marshall, as he is too content to stay on his line and not come out to hellp out the defence! :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:37 am

thanks for all the replies. i expect heaton signing is possibly the first indication that we aim to do well in this league next season. New owners set to be confirmed this afternoon, money coming in, free transfers and loans from udinese. the futures bright, the futures yellow. :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:44 am

hornet_fan wrote:thanks for all the replies. i expect heaton signing is possibly the first indication that we aim to do well in this league next season. New owners set to be confirmed this afternoon, money coming in, free transfers and loans from udinese. the futures bright, the futures yellow. :ayatollah:

Heaton is a better keeper than Maarshall and is a really nice guy off the pitch too. Should have been number one for us imo.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:56 pm

I thought he had signed for Sheff Weds !

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:01 pm

wednesday got chris kirkland and our good friend stephen bywater :twisted:

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:18 pm

I rated Heaton highly, well done, u will have got a good goalie on the Free. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:46 pm

Always liked Heaton. I thought he would kick on and become our number one keeper and the form that he showed in the carling cup proved that he has real quality. As your article says, we were blessed to have two really decent keepers and losing one was always inevitable. My only concern is the reports that at the end of the season two seasons ago, he apparently suffered a MASSIVE loss in confidence and it really affected him. I remember the Middlesboro home game when we lost 3-0 being one of his worst ever. He was beaten by a Leroy Lita header I seemed to remember which he should have got to.

There's no doubting that the guy has great ability and if he gets a couple of consecutive seasons under his belt, I think you'll have a job keeping out of the grasp of Premiership teams.

Good luck to him, always a top pro for us.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:05 pm

Heaton is good at coming out when required, much better than Marshall in that respect. He is technically good but not a big keeper and sometimes struggles with crosses. For me his biggest weakness is positioning and if he plays regularly you will see him get beaten by a fair few 20+ yarders that you expected he would have got to. However, he is a good keeper for a mid table championship side but I think that is his level so don't expect more of him and he won't disappoint.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:50 pm

thanks for all the replies. heres hoping, i think loach needs to move on to develop, perhaps the same is for heaton.