Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Why Walking Away From The Bluebirds Is My Only Option!

Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:05 am

Ben Dudley is a 23-year-old supporter from Llantwit Major, season ticket-holder and away traveller since 2003. He owns the www.myonlycardiff.com website!

THE rebranding of Cardiff City has been hotly-discussed ever since the news broke in the hours following our play-off defeat to West Ham.

Fans have been deeply divided on the issue of red v blue and Bluebird v Dragon but, after attending Wednesday night’s meeting at Cardiff City Stadium, I worry that the very existence of Cardiff City itself is under threat.

The meeting was called for supporters who had requested a refund on their season tickets for the forthcoming season or had indicated they would not be renewing.

I was a season ticket-holder at Ninian Park, first on the Bob Bank Terrace and then the Grange End.

I have been a season ticket-holder in the Canton Stand since the move to the new stadium.

Last season was one of my most enjoyable following the Bluebirds and I loved the spirit that was in Malky Mackay’s squad.

Even though we fell short in the play-offs yet again, I was looking forward to the new campaign and seeing what the manager could do after having a year to work on his team.

This all changed as I got on the coach home after the West Ham game.

News of the proposed rebrand broke and the fact we had just played a play-off game was completely forgotten.

It is true that I did not start supporting Cardiff City because they played in blue, but over the years I have formed a deep bond with the identity of the club.

Seeing a Cardiff City team running out in red at home with a dragon on their shirts would be completely unrecognisable from the team I love so dearly.

I made the decision that I would boycott home matches if the rebrand became a reality.

It was not a decision I had made lightly. I attended 51 first-team fixtures last season and Cardiff City is undeniably a huge part of my life.

I decided it would be less painful to break from the club altogether than to see it play in a form I do not recognise.

The initial reaction to rebranding at the early stage from most supporters was one of disbelief, disregarded as another internet joke which sees Jason Koumas joining us in every transfer window and Leo Fortune-West as an option on every messageboard poll.

But it soon became clear this was no joke and the information that had been leaked was correct.

Fury against the decision soon saw the rebranding idea withdrawn.

But that decision was then reversed earlier this month and the new red home kit and badge featuring a prominent dragon was unveiled.

By this stage, many fans have come to grudgingly accept the proposals, seeing the situation as ‘red or dead’.

I have no issue with those fans who have opinions that differ from mine.

However, I feel that even those fully behind the change would have cause to worry had they been present at the meeting on Wednesday night.

Alan Whiteley failed to answer some of the pertinent questions put to him and confirmed that no deal was in place with Langston to settle the large debt Cardiff City owe to them.

Three offers have been made to Langston of various amounts, but there had been no response to the offer yet and Whiteley admitted it was “up to them” if they accepted them or not.

Around 40 people attended the meeting, while the figure given for total refund requests was “slightly over 90”.

The club also hinted that Sam Hammam could return as honorary life president of the club if Langston accepted any proposed deal.

Myself and others indicated that many fans would be more upset by the return of Hammam than the change of shirt colour.

As a result of the meeting, I have decided not to hold a season ticket for the 2012-13 season, or any subsequent season where the club plays in red at home.

I will also not be buying merchandise or giving any other money to the club during this time.

As things stand the Forest Green Rovers away friendly will be my last match to say a fond goodbye to my football team.

Distancing myself from Cardiff City is the very last thing I wanted to do.

But the disrespect shown to the fans and the complete lack of consultation before making such major changes to the club leaves me no option.

I very much hope I am wrong, but I am extremely worried for the future of Cardiff City.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -31283495/

Re: Why Walking Away From The Bluebirds Is My Only Option!

Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:09 am

I worry that the very existence of Cardiff City itself is under threat.

I very much hope I am wrong, but I am extremely worried for the future of Cardiff City.

Sorry Dudders, I respect your right to your opinion and your stance, but I can't see how you not attending any games and not buying any merchandise is going to help the club, that you say you are extremely worried about! :? :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:55 am

23 year old long time supporter :lol: not any more, unbelievable

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:13 am

Overthemoon wrote:I worry that the very existence of Cardiff City itself is under threat.

Sorry Dudders, I respect your right to your opinion and your stance, but I can't see how you not attending any games and not buying any merchandise is going to help the club, that you say you are extremely worried about! :? :ayatollah:

With regards the kit.

If people dont like the new one. dont buy it. Thats not making a stand, thats
just everyones right as a consumer. I will be amazed if there are huge swathes
of red in that stadium next season. If there arent, it proves Tan fucked up.

We've had some horrible kits over the years and they just didnt sell. The popular
ones did, and the Club would then generally just tweak it for the following season
to sell more.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:31 am

I have had a guts-full of the parade of spoilt brats that feel they need to offer press releases stating they are not coming next season. I don't care......

Make your choices and move on.

The best way to move on is to stop talking about it and plan your "new" Saturday and Tuesday evenings. Go and support your nearest amateur parks team or at 23 years old why aren't you playing !!!

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:05 am

llan bluebird wrote:I have had a guts-full of the parade of spoilt brats that feel they need to offer press releases stating they are not coming next season. I don't care......

Make your choices and move on.

The best way to move on is to stop talking about it and plan your "new" Saturday and Tuesday evenings. Go and support your nearest amateur parks team or at 23 years old why aren't you playing !!!

Spot on! These guys should try investing millions of their hard earned cash, then we wouldn't have to go down tan's rebranding route, and they could all stop moaning!

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:21 am

The age of the internet I'm afraid, giving anyone and everyone a platform for their views, which you would never have been aware of unless you personally knew them. It gives the minority the potential to make themselves the majority, especially if they are specifically adept at using the medium. People will argue that it gives everyone the equal option to argue their point no matter how unimportant or insignificant it may seem to some, I disagree though. What it does is allow issues to get completely blown out of proportion and leads to more argument and some times bitterness which really never would have needed to.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:48 am

Overthemoon wrote:I worry that the very existence of Cardiff City itself is under threat.

[color=#4040FF]He's so worried about the existence of our club, that he willing to risk losing the proposed investment over the colour of a shirt, is it the club he loves, or the colour of a shirt the club means a lot lot more to most of us than a shirt or a poxy badge.

I very much hope I am wrong, but I am extremely worried for the future of Cardiff City.[/color]

He's so worried he's doing his own special bit to reduce the income the club need to have a future, is that hypocritical or what.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:59 am

BigGwynram wrote:

[color=#4040FF]He's so worried about the existence of our club, that he willing to risk losing the proposed investment over the colour of a shirt, is it the club he loves, or the colour of a shirt the club means a lot lot more to most of us than a shirt or a poxy badge.

I very much hope I am wrong, but I am extremely worried for the future of Cardiff City.[/color]

He's so worried he's doing his own special bit to reduce the income the club need to have a future, is that hypocritical or what.

Ok his choice is not to attend games and buy any merchandise, my choice as an individual is to attend games and Never buy any merchandise with this new badge on it or a red shirt. it doesnt mean he is any less a Cardff city supporter than you or I. It just means he feels so strongly about the rebranding he has to make his stand. I really respect any person that will stand up for what they truly believe in. Why on earth would he want to buy something that he doesnt identify with or believe in.

Some people on here truly make me laugh. Hypocritical because he won't attend and won't buy the merchandise? you need to think again chaps!

Regards,

Steve

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:00 am

BigGwynram wrote:

Ok his choice is not to attend games and buy any merchandise, my choice as an individual is to attend games and Never buy any merchandise with this new badge on it or a red shirt. it doesnt mean he is any less a Cardff city supporter than you or I. It just means he feels so strongly about the rebranding he has to make his stand. I really respect any person that will stand up for what they truly believe in. Why on earth would he want to buy something that he doesnt identify with or believe in.

Some people on here truly make me laugh. Hypocritical because he won't attend and won't buy the merchandise? you need to think again chaps!

Regards,

Steve

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:00 am

BigGwynram wrote:

Regards,

Steve

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:10 am

You state that you respect his opinion then attack him :lol:

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:12 am

When I was 23 I missed my sister's wedding because she booked it on a day City were at Home.Major upset in the family and my mother and sister didn't speak to me for weeks,my dad on the other hand thought I did the right thing. He was annoyed because he had to go to give my sister away so couldn't get out of it.

Also went to my brothers wedding but missed the reception because City were at Bristol City and I could get to the game after the service.

I'm pro investment and there is no way I will be missing any home games and cannot get my head around this "My Only Option" mindset. :?

But then I again maybe I'm being a little unfair as I felt I had no option with my brother and sisters wedding, in my opinion that's how it should be with your club, bring on 18th August.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:18 am

castleblue wrote:When I was 23 I missed my sister's wedding because she booked it on a day City were at Home.Major upset in the family and my mother and sister didn't speak to me for weeks,my dad on the other hand thought I did the right thing. He was annoyed because he had to go to give my sister away so couldn't get out of it.

Also went to my brothers wedding but missed the reception because City were at Bristol City and I could get to the game after the service.

I'm pro investment and there is no way I will be missing any home games and cannot get my head around this "My Only Option" mindset. :?

But then I again maybe I'm being a little unfair as I felt I had no option with my brother and sisters wedding, in my opinion that's how it should be with your club, bring on 18th August.

That is amazing commitment , that I could never have gotten away with. Fair Play. But if you put yourself in his shoes , surley you have to respect the fact that he feels so strongly about the rebrand , he wants to make a stand!! just like you did by insisting you went to watch the City Play instead of going to the weddings! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:25 am

Pah! Supporter since 2003, don't make me laugh. As far as I'm concerned you've only seen the good times.
You might be the sort of fan who walks away as soon as the team gets relegated.
I, personally are into my 36th season as a fan and I'm not going anywhere.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:30 am

Drama queen

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:30 am

Drama queen

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:39 am

im worried now i'm not a proper fan as i never buy any merchandise, wouldn't buy the new kit what ever colour it was. reckon we better off without these drama queens as nothing the lads do on the pitch will be good enough for them now

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:43 am

taffyapple wrote:

With regards the kit.

If people dont like the new one. dont buy it. Thats not making a stand, thats
just everyones right as a consumer. I will be amazed if there are huge swathes
of red in that stadium next season. If there arent, it proves Tan fucked up.

We've had some horrible kits over the years and they just didnt sell. The popular
ones did, and the Club would then generally just tweak it for the following season
to sell more.

:ayatollah: Spot on Taffy....who would spend money on items they don't like or believe in as you say that is their right as a consumer. :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:44 am

undybluebird wrote:
castleblue wrote:When I was 23 I missed my sister's wedding because she booked it on a day City were at Home.Major upset in the family and my mother and sister didn't speak to me for weeks,my dad on the other hand thought I did the right thing. He was annoyed because he had to go to give my sister away so couldn't get out of it.

That is amazing commitment , that I could never have gotten away with. Fair Play. But if you put yourself in his shoes , surley you have to respect the fact that he feels so strongly about the rebrand , he wants to make a stand!! just like you did by insisting you went to watch the City Play instead of going to the weddings! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Absolutely everyone has a right to make their own decisions I would never argue against that, however as I said I cannot get my head around the "My Only Option" mindset. My love of Cardiff City FC is unshakeable and I have never identified a single characteristic of the club i.e. the colour of the shirt, as such a deal breaker and that'swhat I cannot understand.

I would prefer the team to play in Blue, of course I would, but I can also be pragmatic about this whole rebranding thing. Owners, managers and players ALL come and go but the one constant at any football club are the fans.

This guy has shown great commitment supporting our club and I would ask him to reconsider and ask himself is it really the colour of the shirt that means the most to him?

There are options like joining this Keep Cardiff Blue movement, attend games and wear blue are 2 but to stop supporting the club altogether :? Over the top to me.

Just my opinion.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:46 am

well i for one will be buying a red shirt, i am not happy with it, but will not walk away from cardiff city

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:49 am

castleblue wrote:
undybluebird wrote:

Absolutely everyone has a right to make their own decisions I would never argue against that, however as I said I cannot get my head around the "My Only Option" mindset. My love of Cardiff City FC is unshakeable and I have never identified a single characteristic of the club i.e. the colour of the shirt, as such a deal breaker and that'swhat I cannot understand.

I would prefer the team to play in Blue, of course I would, but I can also be pragmatic about this whole rebranding thing. Owners, managers and players ALL come and go but the one constant at any football club are the fans.

This guy has shown great commitment supporting our club and I would ask him to reconsider and ask himself is it really the colour of the shirt that means the most to him?

There are options like joining this Keep Cardiff Blue movement, attend games and wear blue are 2 but to stop supporting the club altogether :? Over the top to me.

Just my opinion.

I completely understand your view. For Me we should always be in Blue and have a Bluebird ,thats what I have been associated with since 1967 my first game. I do not agree we should play in Red or have what in my opinion is an awful new crest. However like you i will still be there. But as I stated earlier I respect the mans right to make his stand on the rebranding! Regards, Steve

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:13 am

Bluebird64 wrote:

You state that you respect his opinion then attack him :lol:

Where have I attacked him? :?

I have merely stated that I can't see how him or anybody else for that matter, not attending any games and not buying any merchandise is going to help the club, that anybody says they are extremely worried about!

Clearly it's Dudders's and anybody else's right to stay away from our games and not to buy any merchandise, but to say that people are worried about our existence and then proceed not to support it, I find hard to comprehend!

TBH, his report is full of conflicts, the main one being that he says that walking away is the only option!

I'm not attacking him in any way, I'm merely struggling to understand his reasoning!

As Taffyapple has said, if you don't like the red shirts, or anything with the new badges on, then don't buy them!

Surely the best way to try and get something changed that you're so against, is to become part of a body opposed to it and lobby those responsible, in order to get your voice heard?

IMO, the best way would be to try and join the group the club has stated is going to be formed, as surely it's better to be fighting from within than from the outside?

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:15 am

I remember my dad years and years ago when BT put their costs up tellling us that he would get the line cut from BT and we would no longer have a phone saying "that`ll teach em " !!!!!!! In reality its like refusing to go to mcDonalds as some shops are now green not their usual colour logo.

You are just depriving yourslef of football , I love my kids whatever they wear and if they decide to wear something that looks rediculous i dont abandom them.

He will be back as soon as new season kicks off as you support team not a colour or principle of malaysians that you cant change .

Now if 10000 plus fans did same then there would be a difference but there aernt - ask why ? Even Annis who I think disagrees with red ( LOL ) is still supporting team - reluctantly in new colour but I can never eversee him not going !

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:19 am

undybluebird wrote:I completely understand your view. For Me we should always be in Blue and have a Bluebird ,thats what I have been associated with since 1967 my first game. I do not agree we should play in Red or have what in my opinion is an awful new crest. However like you i will still be there. But as I stated earlier I respect the mans right to make his stand on the rebranding! Regards, Steve

I very much agree with your view that this fella has an absolute right to make a protest by cancelling his season ticket.

However, it does annoy me a bit that he has to spout off about it in the press and next season he will be compromised when it comes to making comment on any of games, as he has now self-proclaimed himself as an exile.

I again agree with Castle that the gesture is really futile and there are better and more subtle options to express your objections to the changes made to our home kit.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:38 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
undybluebird wrote:I completely understand your view. For Me we should always be in Blue and have a Bluebird ,thats what I have been associated with since 1967 my first game. I do not agree we should play in Red or have what in my opinion is an awful new crest. However like you i will still be there. But as I stated earlier I respect the mans right to make his stand on the rebranding! Regards, Steve

I very much agree with your view that this fella has an absolute right to make a protest by cancelling his season ticket.

However, it does annoy me a bit that he has to spout off about it in the press and next season he will be compromised when it comes to making comment on any of games, as he has now self-proclaimed himself as an exile.

I again agree with Castle that the gesture is really futile and there are better and more subtle options to express your objections to the changes made to our home kit.

Very valid opinion, hadn't thought of the proclaiming himself as an exile! Could be a tad embarrasing if he decides to turn up at some games, However if he did the right thing to do would be to welcome him back , and get on with it.

My Opinion,

:ayatollah:

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:38 am

Very valid opinion, hadn't thought of the proclaiming himself as an exile! Could be a tad embarrasing if he decides to turn up at some games, However if he did the right thing to do would be to welcome him back , and get on with it.

My Opinion,

:ayatollah:

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:40 am

I'd like to know how he's going to keep his blog going now Tony? :?

Do you think he'll be reliant on those attending games to write some reports for him, or do you think he'll just copy and paste any online media reports involving Cardiff City?

Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:47 am

Overthemoon wrote:

I'd like to know how he's going to keep his blog going now Tony? :?

Do you think he'll be reliant on those attending games to write some reports for him, or do you think he'll just copy and paste any online media reports involving Cardiff City?

You purposely start a thread about someone else who has an opinion and then proceed to state that you respect this opinion only to riducule and belittle his opinion throughout this thread.You are a strange one :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:17 pm

Tottaly agree with you, I can't believe that so called fans are stopping going to watch the team puerly on the colour of the shirt, I have spoken to a lot of people face to face, and not one person has said that this is the end of me supporting Cardiff, and every person, allthough not fully supporting the change of badge and colour, are all in agreement that it is something they can put up with, the only ones that I hear of that are not happy with the changes, and this is through Facebook and this forum, only went down to a few games last year, and they never wear the club colours, I am not pointing a finger at people from this site, but people who I know from the Maesteg area, and who are in a very small minority, this is my view and my view only, any so called supporter who is prepared not to support Cardiff City due to the re/brand is not in my opinion a true supporter of the club. :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah: